Alouettes linebacker Timothy Strickland signs 2 yr contract

MONTREAL (CP) - Linebacker Timothy Strickland has signed a two-year contract plus an option with the Montreal Alouettes, the CFL club announced Thursday.

Strickland, a two-time Eastern all-star, is captain of the Alouettes defence. In four CFL seasons, all with Montreal, he has 192 tackles, 14 sacks and six interceptions. The Memphis, Tenn., native, who turns 29 on Friday, said he was ready to test the free agent market but the Alouettes satisfied his salary demands.

“I was prepared to go somewhere else, but once we came to an agreement, this was where I wanted to be,” said Strickland. “I’m ready to go home, celebrate my birthday, and then start working out and getting ready for next season.”

The club has two potential free agents left to sign - defensive end Anwar Stewart and safety Richard Karikari.

As Don Mathews quietly goes about re-tooling his team. Watch out for those Als in the East.

Very good news and the Als resigning kicker Duval is great news too. He turned down an NFL offer to come back at least one more year. And he was probably the best kicker in the CFL last year.