Alouettes co-owner Believes Revenue Sharing Agreement will be Passed this Season

Quite a margin between $9 and $ 15 profit. How can you hide these numbers? Easy to throw numbers, without proofs and facts. The Teams Financial Results are verified by External Auditors and they reflect facts. The persons submitting and the ones verifying these numbers/results are not a "bunch of crooks" as HfxTC wants you to believe. The though financial commitments by some of these teams are real.

In 2019, the last "normal" year, the total profit of the 3 Community Teams amounted to $880,434. While the total profits are minimal, some of these teams have"huge" financial commitments; for instance:

The Saskatchewan Roughriders have a thirty-year agreement with the City of Regina for Mosaic Stadium. Rental charges are $1,553,000 per year. The Team commitments, including leases of equipment, have a MINIMUM annual payment averaging $2,147,785 for each of the next 5 years.

With regards to Winnipeg Blue Bombers, under the Stadium Management Agreement, the Team has a maximum annual payment of excess cash in the amount of $3,885,834, UNTIL 2058.

I am an Alouettes fan and I wish them the best and the same for all other CFL teams; unfortunately I find Mr. Stern, Co-Owner of the Alouettes "a big talker". As we say "en Français: Il parle pour rien dire ou il parle pour s'entendre". There can't be revenue sharing in the CFL, since no teams are generating profits in the ten of millions while other are operating at deficits.

If Mr. Stern is not satisfied with the CFL, then he should sell the Team and go home.

Richard

1 Like

i think it would be wise to look long term here. new models take time.

This statement is tired and overused.

I get in particular Saskatchewan cannot compare to Toronto and Montreal on Scale, however I don’t think its the 1980’s anymore. Perhaps the leagues are at a smaller scale, but there is still a variety in sports entertainment for spectators to pay for.
Mostly located in Regina and Saskatoon, but also in the smaller cities.
CFL Football
Junior Football
Womens Pro Football
Usports mens and womens sports
WHL
SJHL
Independent League Baseball
NLL (lacrosse)
CEBL (basketball)
Nascar Canada and regional Racing
Golfing (Canadian Pro Tour Mens and Womens)
CPL ( I believe league has agreed, but TBC)
etc…
Maybe mountain climbing and downhill skiing in Mtn’s are not available… at the moment.

I think part of the Riders attention in Sask is not about no competition, it is the fact they have been marketing and operating for years like there is major league competition. You can get practically anything you would want with a sport name or logo. The Riders are everywhere. Food, Drinks, every accessory imaginable, summer and winter items.
Team Based in Regina. Training camp is generally based in Saskatoon, but they have held training days all over Saskatchewan.

3 Likes

excellent points.

The reality is the CFL wants to considered a major league then do things the right way. The Packers are a community based team & they do things the right way. Saskatchewan & Winnipeg have little to no competition for the sports dollar. Furthermore this lack of revenue sharing will eventually be the downfall of the CFL. Without the larger markets for businesses to promote, good luck!

I think it's not just competition but also what brands are available in these markets for people and corporate dollars to go around.

In with the community owned teams plus Calgary and Ottawa, the NHL is the only brand that's bigger than the CFL (though Melnyk makes it the opposite in Ottawa). Montreal and Vancouver have MLS too which is a growing league and both teams have been losing market share ever since they've arrive though it's seem to have leveled off in Montreal. Montreal also has a reasonable chance of MLB retiring to hard to say how that will play out

Competition for sports dollars has nothing to do with the CFL woes in the big 3 as far as I am concerned.

Where does it say that Stern is the one who wants it or is pushing for it?
It simply says that he thinks its coming
BIg difference

Then I think you would be wrong

Fine ...as long as you qualify it as your view as Right And Wrong.

Meaning what?

Only its your view not a fact.

I never said it was a fact…and the same applies to you

I disagree.

The Argos were the #2 team in the city…the boys of summer…before the Jays arrived.

The Raptors arrival pushed them further down the pecking order. When TFC arrived, the Argos outdrew them on a game to game basis for about 7 years and it slowly went in the other direction as MLS grew.

Doesn’t mean the Argos can’t find their niche in the city but it will take some work and time. A better business model gives them more time.

2 Likes

yup… I said in my opinion. You said I was wrong. Lets not argue.

Funny how the guy who says lets not argue, starts the argument

1 Like

Sigh…I never started an argument. I stated an opinion that I have.

Sigh and I stated that I think you are wrong and you HAD to come back with…that’s your opinion(view)not fact even though it is a fact…that is arguing

No you said I was wrong. Not that you think. Words matter as you know.
Any way see you later.

Arguing about arguing .

2 Likes