Alouettes co-owner Believes Revenue Sharing Agreement will be Passed this Season

From Herb Zurkowsky:

(Alouettes co-owner Gary) Stern said he doesn’t believe the league should have played in 2020 — at least not under a Winnipeg-based hub concept, as was proposed. There were too many variables, he said, with little in the way of value.

Stern has been vocal in his criticism of the CFL business model, stating the governors — the decision makers — move too slowly to reach a consensus. But Stern believes a solution’s on the horizon. He said the league is close to adopting revenue sharing, believing the motion will be passed this season.

“All nine teams recognize the need to have nine healthy franchises,” Stern said. “In the past, more or less, there were six healthy and three (Montreal, Toronto and British Columbia) not healthy.

“We’ll be paying into that in two years,” he added, somewhat defiantly. “The CFL has to make changes that takes it into the future and makes the league more viable financially.”

While the CFL this week said its talks about a potential partnership or working arrangement with the XFL have ended for now, Stern believes there won’t be any future discussion, while intimating there never was a need for a collaborative effort.

“The nine teams have to get together and accept we have a unique game, with three downs and a wide field,” Stern said. “But we need revenue. Hopefully the fans are thrilled it’s over, come back and support us. I think they will but we, as owners, have to give them a reason to come.”

3 Likes

Is there really any other choice? Every league has some form of revenue sharing.

MLSE pays out to support the Coyotes and Panthers of the world. Though I'm sure owners are not thrilled to write the checks but it kept the league stable enough were they sold 2 recent teams for 500 million and 650 million respectively and still have 2 realistic landing spots if there's trouble.

4 Likes

When Leagues establish revenue sharing, it is because there are huge revenue income in some franchises but not as much in others.

That is not the situation in the CFL; the Teams that operate with a profit, it is minimal. I doubt that we can expect revenue sharing in the CFL.

Richard

The other way to create more profits for those who do is to reduce expenses which teams have done and can't rehire everyone back.

Likely will be a lower salary cap next year too with this being the last year of the CBA.

1 Like

If passed, revenue sharing probably would not start for a couple of years at least because of all the team losses from this year and last. Riders for example, are expected to deplete their $7 million stabilization fund that took 12 years to accumulate. I guess the league is counting on single-game wagering to bring in enough additional dollars to be able share with other teams.

Dave Naylor said today:

-Als never had a profitable season under Robert Wetenhall.

-Argos probably last made money in the 80's.

-Lions survived because David Braley was generous & because the league gave him Grey Cups every 3 years.

2 Likes

Love Dave, but he’s out to lunch on this one.
Only the statement about the Argos is true. Everything else is wrong.

1 Like

The problem is the community owned teams that believe they are better run than the privately owned. THEY HAVE LITTLE TO NO COMPETITION FOR THE SPORTS DOLLAR.
You do the math Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver in the summer opposed to Winnipeg or Saskatchewan....enough said.

2 Likes

So, how does it work with Community based teams in EDM, SSK and WPG sharing profits with the private owned teams.
It is my understanding(correct me if I'm wrong Richard)
that Community based teams profits must be re-invested or held onto for future possible losses.
That is why the records must be made public every year

2 Likes

And even that you(we) don't know

1 Like

Hemmeter plan reincarnated?

http://wfl.charlottehornetswfl.com/pages_1975/hemmeter_plan.php

1 Like

Absolutely. It’s just there’s certain clues out there that allows us to make an educated guess.

1 Like

No there are not....its the media trying to make themselves look like they are important and know things....which they don't

2 Likes

No doubt the media do that but yes there are clues and they don’t come from the media.

1 Like

What does Montreal and Vancouver have in the summer? Toronto, I'll give you, because of the Jays.

2 Likes

Montreal has:
The Jazz festival;
The comedy festival;
Francofolies;
Impact soccer team;
Numerous concerts all over the city;
Numerous parcs to visit around the city;
Formula 1 Grand Prix.
A vigourous night life in downtown MTL and other parts of the city.

That's just off the top of my head.

3 Likes

But other than that …..LoL

4 Likes

:grinning:

2 Likes

Pretty big head you have there Johnny :wink:

2 Likes

…you forgot girls

1 Like

Oh yes! Plenty! :grinning:

1 Like