Alouettes 2024 talk

Retrospectively, the issue was I-M-O less about cutting Pringle and more about choosing Phillips as his replacement … although it worked well for one season.

1 Like

I"m not arguing the decision. Just displays that organizations make decisions they think is best. in this case Maciocia is on the opposite side of what he did 23 years ago. Would be wild if Montreal and BC met in the GC in November and Stanback part of winning it.

1 Like

I see your point but I think you are going way over the top with this particular example. Sure, Pringle had some good years left. Absolutely. But we did not lose the 2003 and 2005 Grey Cups because of Pringle. We lost in 2003 because Ricky Ray torched our rookie corners whom Matthews insisted on dressing for the big game. We lost in 2005, in triple overtime, because our defence couldn’t stop Edmonton’s passing game (this after they conned their way into the finals following the infamous “Maas for a bag of beans” trade with Hamilton).

Phillips obviously turned out to be a disaster, but none of that was in evidence when he was helping us win our first Grey Cup in 20+ years in 2002. Sometimes things go south and there’s no one in particular to blame.

We went on to have an amazing aughts capped by back-to-back Grey Cup championships in 2009 and 2010 so the idea that letting Pringle go was some kind of disaster for our team has no basis in fact.

This is from Feb. 6, so obviously a bit dated, but Joey has Walter Fletcher on the podcast and there are some interesting tidbits.

• Says he’s happy to be back, loves Montreal, very complimentary of the fans and says it’s got that college ball feel.
  • Says Maas demands a lot especially when it comes to knowing the plays and being accountable.
  • Being in the system, he hopes that gives him an advantage at camp but he’s taking nothing for granted.
  • There was a game when he missed a block on the mike backer (against TOR) and he heard it from Maas. At the same time he says Maas wants the best out of the team and for the players. Maas creates a fun environment.
  • Rates the top pickleball players on the team as Maas and Fajardo at #1 and #2. Mentions “Bear” a few times and I couldn’t figure out who he was referring to.
  • Lots of good thing to say about Trevor Harris, who recommended him to Sunderland and Elizondo in Edmonton.
  • Nothing but good things to say about Stanback, says they’re friends and he needs to get his touches. Says he and Stan and Antwi were always there to pick each other up.
1 Like

I see Sewell getting signed mid season like lemon.

1 Like

Maybe. But Lemon was still highly productive in 2022. He got caught by the ratio game in B.C. and was cut, I think, after teams had already committed cap space to other players. By contrast, Sewell’s production has gone down steadily in the past few years. Fourteen tackles and 1 sack over 16 GP is pretty dismal, honestly. Less than a tackle a game. Compare to Mustafa Johnson, who registered 43 tackles and 7 sacks over 18 GP, and it doesn’t look great.

I expect Sewell to be a depth pickup for another team, or for him to retire.

1 Like

OK, this is pretty funny. Whoever’s running the Als’ social media account is doing it right.

2 Likes

Indeed, that and the reply to the top comment. :laughing:

That said, nobody seems to realize this is a joke that takes a jab at people calling Super Bowl champions “world champions”.

By the way, isn’t it Joey Alfieri who manages the account?

1 Like

Typical American myopia. The Super Bowl is the “world.” :roll_eyes:

If it’s Joey running the account, my hat’s off to him.

1 Like

Un retour dans le passé, le 5 août 1961, partie hors-concours au stade Percival-Molson, entre les Bears de Chicago et les Alouettes de Montréal,:
Première demie: règles CFL
deuxième demie: règles NFL
Pointage 9-7 pour Alouettes à la fin de la première demie
Pointage final 34-16 pour les Bears
coach des Bears: George Halas - coach des Alouettes Perry Moss
Premiers essais Bears 32 Alouettes 8
Bears: verges totales 517 - Alouettes verges totales 206
Quelques joueurs des Alouettes: Don Clark, George Dixon, Billy Ray Locklin, Marv Luster, Gene Gaines, Gino Beretta, Ted Elsby ect…

1 Like

Trying to project the defensive roster for 2024 months out of training camp is a fool’s game, but I’ll try anyway.

DE - Berglund - Gowanlock
DT - Wiggan - Wynn - Desjardins (Wiggan and Wynn would be 1A and 1B starters here rotating to keep fresh, with Desjardins on the 1-game or PR and activated if needed as a quick injury sub)
DT - Johnson - [one of the new Americans: Jayson Ademilola, Cage, Moultrie, or Maijeh]
DE - Lemon - Ellis (I think Ellis’s spot is secure unless Johns, Justin Ademilola or Bennett impress in TC)

Sam - Stubblefield - Murray
Mike - Sankey - [American backup, could be Avery or Moore, or maybe Notree has turned a corner this year?]
Will - Beverette - Moore (Moore has a similar body type to Beverette)
Jack - Richards - Chagnon (no ratio change required if we run a 4-3 and he has to come out)

Corner - Ento
DHB - Who the hell knows, we’ve got so much DB depth, but going on familiarity with Thorpe’s system, I’d imagine one of Reed or Rodgers or possibly Murray (though Murray is a bit short to play inside against big slotbacks), with Smoke Monday or Stephens in the mix as well as backups
FS - Dequoy - Copeland (I thought about Lavallée here, but his height may play against him)
DHB - Sutton - [whoever doesn’t win the other starting DHB spot]
Corner - Ruffin - Rodgers

If we wind up starting 8 nationals, it would give us some ratio flexibility whereby one of those starters could be backed up by an American, not a Canadian. Thinking specifically of Berglund here as Gowanlock hasn’t shown that he’s more than a solid special teams player.

2 Likes

Defence will be solid ! Hope a be new DE can have an impact too like Stubberfield/Ento did last year.

If Wynn is healthy, I think he’s gonna be the DT #2.

At HB, I expect someone to grab in our new recruit. Many are really interesting in that list

My question will be more on the offensive side, but the defence could win us games

2 Likes

Agreed on all counts. Really hoping we can find a playmaker at DE from the recruits.

Yes, I expect Wynn to be the nominal starter, but given his injury history, rotating with Wiggan will be a good thing. If we keep dressing 8 DL per game, it gives us the freedom to keep those interior linemen fresh.

Yes, we have way too many good players at DB. The final TC cuts will be very tough.

2 Likes

Tu as raison plus de questions à l’offensive: au niveau du personnel et du système de jeux au sol.

Situation du personnel:
Même ligne offensive que l’année dernière.
Receveurs: perte de A. Mack mais au retour en santé de K. Julien-Grant, besoin de remplacer A.Mack.
Centre-arrière: D. Dallaire une amélioration vs J. Tuck
Demis offensifs qui remplacera W. Stanback
Qa qui sera le qa # 2
J’ai hâte de voir la contribution des nouveaux venus à l’attaque.
La défensive est plus solide autant au niveau du personnel que de la stratégie.

1 Like

I tell you what, right now, I wouldn’t want to be any team’s offence lining up to play this defence. While Uguak’s loss hurts a lot, we haven’t been this strong in the interior of the line for a very long time. Maybe not since the 2009 edition when Keron WIlliams was lining up beside Eric Wilson and Jermaine McElveen was the rotation guy. I think we are going to get better pressure up the middle this year, more disruptions to throwing lanes and hopefully more sacks.

Then you look at our LB corps and it’s a murderers’ row of talent. Look at our secondary and we have a surplus of good players and some legit game-changers in Dequoy and Ento.

I’m hoping Thorpe progresses his system even further this season, in year 3. Per Dequoy, in year 1 it was pretty basic man coverage, likely because Thorpe came during the middle of the season and didn’t have the benefit of training camp to install his playbook. In year 2, they moved to what looked to me like a combination of zone match coverage and man match coverage, with good results. In year 3, I’d like to see more pressure, but also more stunting up front.

2 Likes

In paper that defence is very good and has the potential for more middle of the line pressure and also to be a little more solid against the run. It is February. It is on paper…

4 Likes

Even in February i would say the Als has a better team now. The defense will help the team to stay on the victory road, like last year.

2 Likes

I’d for sure say the same. If Wynn is healthy he is a huge addition and I’d say an upgrade. The rest of the D is largely in tact and should only get better in year two. I’m just cautioning that it’s early and other teams around us should be better this year too.

2 Likes

We won’t know till the final roster is set really, Injuries, retirements, renegotiations… lots left before this team hits the field. But I think Maciocia did a masterful job. Didn’t let his emotions carry guys who needed to be replaced no matter how great of people they were (Stanback and Sewell) come to mind here. Also, didn’t bite at the shiny. I likes it a lot.

4 Likes