:als_red: Alouettes 2023 talk

With Gary Stern back leading the ownership group, it gives reassurance that the team will not be put up for sale at least in the immediate future.

2 Likes

All Maciocia said was he would be hurt if Cecchini & Stern don't come to an agreement, nothing wrong with that.

I think Cecchini has been doing a good job on the business side.

6 Likes

While Gary is being more involved with the Alouettes and I know that at 25% of the team, he does not have the final answers; this being said, he's not coming to Montréal "les mains vides". He knows, as with the 75% Estate, what the demands should be/are and what they plan to agree to. Should the demands be much higher than what the Estate and Gary were expecting, then it's normal that recommendations will be made for final decision.

I expect Mario Cecchini to be signed to a new contract within days. He did a great job and no reasons that he won't be re-signed soon and with a raise.

Richard

4 Likes

It should be pointed out that Gary Stern's wife is one of Mr. Spiegel's 4 descendants, so is likely 25% of the 75% Estate.

J’aime bien Fajardo, et je pense que dans les bonnes conditions pour lui, il peut faire un excellent travail. Ceci dit, pour un gars de son gabarit, il manque un peu de puissance dans le bras. C’est ce qui me surprend de lui. Le jour où il ne pourra plus bouger comme il le fait présentement, ce sera probablement la fin pour lui, à moins de jouer un système à la Wilkinson.

"Mario Cecchini’s contract is set to expire at the end of December. While he’d like to return to continue building what he and general manager Danny Maciocia started — both were hired in 2020 — he’s financially solvent and doesn’t need the job."

At the end of that piece, Herb notes that the Als were one of only three teams to see increased attendance and revenue this year. So not all bad news.

Zecch has also cut down deficit losses to a few million in two years. He's done a good job and should return IMO, if he wants to.

1 Like

Yes. But guess it will come down to Stern and his offer (presuming he makes one) as Cecchini is financially comfortable.

1 Like

I believe everything will work out with Cecchini, but my biggest takeaway is how the hell the team can ever be profitable.

You would probably need to sell out the stadium for 9 games, a difficult if not impossible task.

Quand on part d’aussi loin…

S’ils l’équipe redevient parmi les meilleures de la ligue, ça devrait se remplir.

1 Like

Moi j’ai du mal à croire que tout ces multi-millionnaires sont propriétaires d’équipes déficitaires année après année…et n’ont pas l’intention de vendre.

Granted, but improved attendance and revenue are still good signs even if we’re starting from the basement. Cecchini has done good work.

Ou il était impossible de tomber plus bas. Mais donnons lui au moins le crédit que ce n’est justement pas tombé plus bas.

En fait, il n’y peut pas grand chose. Ce que ça prend, c’est une équipe qui est parmi les meilleures, une équipe qui gagne régulièrement avec autorité. C’est ce que nous n’avons pas eu depuis 2011, à la limite, 2012. Et ça, c’est dans la cour de son DG.

De mémoire Cecchini est allé chercher des commandites et des partenariats d’affaire intéressants, comme avec Naya et les boissons atypiques d’Étienne Boulay. C’est lui qui a aussi eu l’idée de faire le camp d’entraînement à Trois-Rivières.

1 Like

Nice article on Calvillo.

1 Like

Joey Alfieri said that he has been lead to believe that Mario Cecchini returns as President.

When asked about Jason Maas being a candidate for HC, Alfieri responded by saying he has no inside information. He can only answer with an opinion. Should the Als go in that direction, there would be no complaints from him as he is a big fan of Maas.

About who is the most important re-signing this off-season, Alfieri replied that Trevor Harris and Geno Lewis are interchangeable at #1.

Thinking about it, Jason Maas as HC make a lot of sense...
Nobody is interested in following him so he will not complain about assistant coaches imposed to him...

1 Like