Alouettes 2016

Logic error, with no disrespect intended. One prospect with an NFL tie turning out to be a success does not justify Popp’s increasing tendency, in the past five years, to sign any prospect or player with even a hint of an NFL connection. For every Duron Carter, there is a Michael Sam, Chad Johnson, Dominic Rhodes, Quincy Carter, Jerry Porter, O.J. Santiago, and Ahman Green who didn’t make it past camp or the first third of the season before being cut. We have a scouting staff of 10 and they are doing what exactly? Bringing in ex-NFL rejects instead of going out and finding the best possible talent all over the continent. That’s just lazy, and what’s worse, it’s not successful.

Can anyone name the coaching staff of 10?

Thank you

Richard

Can anyone name the scouting staff of 10?

Thank you

Richard

I did correct. Scouting staff and not coaching.

Richard

In today's CFL Blitz The Insiders Say section, one person told Kirk Penton that he suspects Thorpe will be the next HC. Another person though wonders if the Als would offer Chris Jones both the HC and GM position.

People need to forget Chris Jones. The big Texan is like a fish in water in Alberta. He’s got a great young GM aligned with him. Facilities that equal or exceed small NFL organizations. Anyway after bringing the club back after back to back regimes produced 11 years of mediocrity, they would likely match any offers the Als make.

I suspect Jim can’t wait to spend some time with his “The Poppy Bunch” and will hand the team over to Thorpe or Reed, whoever is willing to take it out of the current staff as quick as he can.

What people should really be asking. Is who will replace Thorpe as Defensive Coordinator ? My guess is Chris Tormey will be offered the job. Could see a Brouillette or Hebert crossover to the coaching ranks as a LB coach.

As for Richard’s question the football ops of the Alouettes have 9 footbal men doing some scouting plus Jim’s personal assistant in Carolina as direct support. That my friend is 10 and you won’t find a bigger staff in the entire CFL.

I would actually be more willing to consider Reed as head coach than Thorpe. Reed is older, has some experience in the HC role, and could effectively supervise every element of the game: offense, defense, and special teams.

Qui est le coordonnateur de la défensive des Eskimos?.. :wink:

Lors de son passage à Edmonton comme entraîneur-chef, j’ai trouvé que Reed (malgré la grande appréciation que j’ai pour lui) avait le même défaut que Greg Marshall : il a de la difficulté à contenir ses émotions durant la partie et surtout de s’abstenir d’afficher sa déception lorsque quelque chose ne se passe pas comme il l’aurait voulu sur le terrain. Ceci finit par rejoindre les joueurs et affecter leur motivation.

Je préfère l’attitude de Thorpe qui a plus la stature de celui qui n’abandonne jamais et que l’adversité n’atteint pas.

Lots of gossip but always an interesting read. Quite a bit on Popp today.

The cynical side of me always asks if Penton is making up some of the Insiders stuff to pad his column.

You think Thorpe is more level-headed than Kavis? Have to disagree there and Thorpe has zero HC experience at any level. Kavis has been around the block once and before he became the butt of every joke with the “consequences” tirade, he actually put together a winning season in Edmonton following the Richie Hall era. And it sure as hell wasn’t his fault that his idiot lecher of a GM traded Ricky Ray to the Argos for a bag of footballs and placed the team’s hopes and dreams on (wait for it) … Steven Jyles. :wink:

Its a gossip section… Davis Sanchez on Als This Week. Claims Popp will leave either for the NFL or Saskatchewan LOL!

No logic error; I said “I expect nothing from JRJ”. I was only observing that assumptions about players are uninformed until their play (including training) shows what the have or don’t have. No expectations of JRJ nor a defence of the other signings you cite; although I would note that those names were over the hill old-timers not never even run the hill guys like JRJ.

Fair enough.

Based on the Alouettes Football operations structure, to me only 3 individuals are Scouts only; they are:

Uzooma Okeke
Al Ford
Rudy Jacobs

Others are having different duties/tasks

Jean-Marc Edme is also an advance Scout

Jean-Vincent Posy-Audete is also a Football Operations Assistant.

Russ Lande,to me, is more of a consultant.

Yes, Jim Popp evaluates talent, but I consider him more of the GM.Director Of Players and,sometime, Head Coach.

Richard

Herb Zurkowsky says that even though Popp "looked frail and sounded weak", Popp vows to be on the sidelines for the final game.

[url=http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/alouetes-coachgm-popp-vows-to-return-to-sidelines-for-season-finale]http://montrealgazette.com/sports/footb ... son-finale[/url]

I guess one can interpret this however you want. Such as this shows how loyal and dedicated he is to the Als. Or, you can say he is protecting the HC spot for himself and does not want anybody else there.

I happened to be sitting near Al Ford at 2014 training camp, hes an older gentleman, former Sask. player and GM who I believe originally hired Popp in Sask. He might only scout college games in Sask., thats it.

Rudy Jacobs listed as "Super Scout" is also an older gentleman that Popp puts in the media guide out of past loyalty. I believe he is retired or at best does minimal work.

Although they have other duties the guys that go on the road - NFL training camps, free agent camps, etc. - are Abrams, Okeke, Casey, Lande, Edme, and probably Posy-Audette now.

Teams like Edmonton and BC work with part-time scouts in the U.S. who wouldn`t be listed on their website.

With Venable, Knapton, Cash, Sutton, White, Elsworth, Ellis, Bede, hopefully Cunningham and Hoffman, the only thing I hold against the Als scouting is not coming up with a QB.

As for the trophy NFL name players, you`re talking one a season among 30 or 40 other Internationals. They are brought in for marketing reasons also, the team is a business and has a stadium to fill. Other than Carter though they did not work out.

What do you think an advanced SCOUT does ? That’s the guy who does all the grunt work, the thankless stuff. Setting up the FA camps, attend the College training and spring camps, creates the short/hot lists so the boss can look good.

Russ Lande is a US scout. Al Ford Scouts the CANWEST. Jacobs scouts the hotbed of South Florida.

They are all scouts and they get paid, even the part time guys. Al Ford didn’t fly to Sherbrooke from Saskatchewan on his dime either.

As for your list Sheldon. Its not because a guy hits the roster that he was scouted. For example Hoffman was a referral from Ben Cahoon.

Anyway. I just don’t think the Als are getting their money’s worth with football ops the last four or five years its just my opinion, not worth much.

Jarret Payton, Robert Edwards, and Lawrence Phillips are 3 other NFL trophy names who contributed. And as far as I can determine, Phillips never killed any of his Als road roommates.

As for ROI from the scouts, we can all have our opinion, that`s what the forum is for.

Je n’ai JAMAIS écrit ça. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x