All-Time best receivers in the CFL

It's a little ridiculous Milt isn't on all those lists and completely ridiculous that he is on very few of them. All time touchdown leader. Closing in on all time yards. Why no love? Clearly I'm biased but cmon...

Clealry Milt is there. I think most of us are just caught up trying to think of less obvious players.

Milt's a great player, but he's going to get most of those records because of his longevity.

I'm not saying he's not right up there, but he's been playing for 12 years.

1. Allen Pitts
  2. Darren Flutie

I could name more but if we're talking about the best, it doesn't seem logical to include a whole laundry list. These two guys exemplified greatness. If Pitts didn't get pushed out of Calgary early he still had a couple good years in him.

Two step Stu Fraser.Need i say more!

My feelings exactly. Terry accomplished so much in this league.

Rhett Dawson-sk.

don Narsece-sk
joey walters-sk

I looked up some stats on the Internet:

Most receiving yards in a season:

2036 - Allen Pitts, Cal. 1994
2003 - Terry Greer, Tor. 1983
2000 - Derrell Mitchell, Tor. 1998
1914 - Hal Patterson, Mtl. 1956
1826 - Darrell K. Smith, Tor. 1990
1812 - Brian Kelly, Edm. 1983

I also looked up some stats in an Alouettes history book I own (La grande histoire des Alouettes de Montréal) and on the CFL site (this website).

Hal Patterson got those yards (1914) in a 14 game season for an average of 136,71 yards per game.

Terry Greer (2003) and Brian Kelly (1812) in 16 games for an average of 125,19 and 113.25 yards per game respectively.

Allen Pitts (2036) in an 18 game season for 113,11 yards a game.

Mookie Mitchell (2000 yards) in a 18 game season for 111.11 yards per game.

Darrell K. Smith (1826) in a 18 game season for 101,44 yards per game.

Those are all awesome receivers. They all averaged 100 yards or more per game. But, I have to say that Hal Patterson's season was absolutely phenomenal! In those days (football was different in the 50's), 1000 yards receiving was spectacular. Patterson almost got 2000.

I think this is the best ever season by a receiver in the CFL.

Garney Henley
Tom Scott
George McGowan
Hal Patterson
Tommy Joe Coffee

1. Mervin Fernandez
  2. Earl Winfield
  3. Jim Sandusky
  4. Pitts and Stegall (both have padded expansion days stats so they can't be considered #1)
  5. Simon (he'll be number 1 when his days are over)
  6. Darren Flutie is the biggest benefactor of the expansion team play but he was stil lpretty good.
  7. Ben Cahoon
8) Donald Narcisist

I don't think he will make the list but when Jeff Fairholm played in tandem with Elgaard he was pretty awesome. I will never forget the over the shoulder seam route that he caught in the 89 cup and was majorly interfered with at the same time. That catch and THE KICK are my 2 most vivid memories of that game. (I was 7 at the time)

that reminds me,

tony champion.

All a matter of opinion, my friend :smiley:

Gimme a break. The most overrated Ticat ever. Two good years.

This thread should have been called "How many receivers can you remember?" :lol:

The greatest CFL receiver of all time was Freddy Biletnikoff.

I think everyone would have to agree that the all-time greatest wide receiver in the history of the game would have to be Jerry Rice. Here are his statistics to back that up:

1. 1,549 Career receptions

2. 22,895 career receiving yards

3. 14 seasons of 1,000 or more receiving yards.

4. 197 receiving touchdowns (208 total career touchdowns)

I think you have to agree that Jerry Rice was fairly good.

Sorry Spike, we're talking CFL here. Rice, unlike Biletnikoff, never played in the greatest league ever.

And by the way, I was joking about Freddy. He only played one season with Montréal in 1980.

Who the hell is Jerry Rice, wasn't he that backup singer on a couple episodes of 'Don't Forget The Lyrics'?

Repaege, I know we were talking CFL here, but any discussion of the greatest receivers in any football league must start with the greatest, and that is without a doubt, Jerry Rice. I just wanted to add my two cents, but when we speak about great CFL receivers, you've mentioned all the ones I would have listed.
One thing, does anyone know when the Blue Bombers are supposed to get Milt Stegall back? They sure could use him, because any improvement would result in a few wins, which they desparately need.