All things Johnny Manziel

See ya.
Let's turn our focus to finding a legitimate back up for Masoli and looking forward to this year's draft.

JM'S agent is right about the CFL'S archaic amateur protection rights rule extending into perpetuity.It sure as heck is restrictive and needs to be challenged.

First time poster, but not new to the board. Enjoy reading the commentary on here about my team.

If Manziel wants to get back on the field, and eventually the NFL, then he will be prepared to work his butt off for us or any other team he plays for. If he works his butt off and returns to his NCAA form, learns the playbook, and takes it seriously then - as noted by professionals, including our own June Jones, Tillman, and Austin - he can be an incredible player. His lack of "success" in the NFL was not because he wasn't good, but because of off-field issues. Everyone knows that. Oh and he played for the Browns. Dont knock his NFL experience because he was part of an incredibly inept organization with little-to-no talent on their roster. The Browns are doing worse without him when we talk about wins and losses so we can't sit back and say he flamed out because he wasn't good enough.

This all said, similar to VY in SK - and I read a lot about whether he was worth a contract given his age and when he last played - there is little to no risk in signing the guy to $500k/yr contract and getting him into camp. He wants the money then he'd better learn the playbook, return to his form, and take it seriously. And if he doesn't, cut his non-guaranteed contract and take the jersey money/website clicks/PR/USA exposure and run to the bank. Plain and simple. We dont know at this point if he is going to demand guaranteed money, but again, if he is serious about getting back on the field, taking a non-guaranteed contract (possibly with incentives) should be no issue. Collaros is off the books and yeah Masoli got a raise, but they should be able to make it work. I also wouldnt worry about going over the cap and being fined, if he's on the roster they will make that money back in all the extra revenue that he will bring to the table.

Good post : if it’s not a gaurenteed contract then at worst our organization and Jones are made to look like fools and Johnny and his career are done , finished he has more to lose then our team A BIG RISK COULD BRING A BIG REWARD ?

Welcome, Ticatsfan25.

One point I would make is that there is a downside to signing an unproven guy for so much money. Despite what you said later about being OK with exceeding the salary cap, the team needs to at least try to fit all the pieces into an overall cap structure.

It’s a zero-sum game as far as the players are concerned. If you pay starter money to two QBs, you’ll have to find savings somewhere else. This likely means foregoing proven free agents at various other positions - multiple free agents, in fact - and going with rookies. We tried this strategy in 2017 for whatever reason and got burned.

If you then decide at the end of training camp to cut your QB loose, it’s too late to go out and grab the best free agents, who will be locked in with other teams. In other words, you would essentially be betting the season on Johnny’s success. That would be an interesting bet indeed.

We should play "Find Erik"

Quick, re-sign Golson.

Note the final paragraph....

Would like to state the obvious for those “new to the forum” or lurking Americans.

The Manziel camp is in no position to issue any deadlines.

The Ticats would do better with Glenn as #2. Loads of CFL experience, and little to no ego.

This guy is poison. Keep Masoli as the starter and use the $500K that would be wasted on Manziel to beef up the O-Line. With a stellar O-Line and healthy receiving corps Masoli will rip up the opposition.

There’s no scenario where Manziel makes 500. Half that in the best case scenario.

I wrote on the weekend that I would not be surprised to see Manziel the Hamilton to court like Chris Williams did. There is enough time for him to get a decisions before June. He wants the money to make sure he’s on the field starting. Otherwise sitting as a backup does not advance his agenda to get back to the NFL ASAP. While he waits for his ruling he can go play a season of arena ball.

You are both wrong. It’s a year. Perpetuity is a little longer.

No one interested to know to what team Austin gave his neg list prospect permission to talk to?

Toronto?
Montreal?
Saskatchewan?

Must be one of the three.

Correct. Both sides now have a year to negotiate and then he would become a free agent I believe.

Great idea.

And we traded an excellent professional and proven QB like Collaros to help make room for this clown! Making demands before even taking a snap behind centre. As I've said before, this is not looking good.

I was one of the biggest supporters of Collaros… But let’s not mistake what happened last year with “traded to make room for this clown”. Collaros was gone. Had nothing to do with Manziel.

If my rights are held by a team whose recently signed coach clearly wants me - and last month came right out and said publicly that"I think he'd be the bestplayer to ever play up here," (and saying this after he saw my workout last August for the team).

Well then I'd be telling my agent to be getting me a contract as big as possible - and my thoughts are that is exactly what the agent appears to be attempting to do.