All things Jeremiah Masoli

What a joke of a post.
Collaros had pylons for Tackles, allowing DEs to get to him unimpeded within 2 seconds. There was literally NO time to make a play.
Of course, the fact that there was no running game, maybe because Zach had to call audibles to let Gable block the inevitable blitz on every play.

The “better? was all do to attitude change following Austin step down. Granted Masoli had to perform also in order to get the victories we did. But, not the guy to get us over the top. Hope I’m wrong but not likely based on what I have seen. Agree with most of the other stuff in thread.

I agree totally Displaced. The O-line was out to lunch and came back to work once Austin left. Results was Not about anything more than attitude change.

I think we’re talking about two different things. Yes, Austin clearly neglected to give any playing time to backup QBs in 2015, and it cost us the season when those backups were forced to play. But it’s not because he stuck with a struggling starter - he stuck with a firing-on-all-cylinders starter even when we had multi-TD leads. It’s what made it all the more frustrating.

My 2017 reference was based on a theory that perhaps Collaros was having issues that could be fixed through coaching. And if Masoli should have any issues in 2018, I hope they attempt to fix it through coaching. That’s all. Didn’t mean to restart the Collaros Wars.

The only way we will really know the answer is by watching Zach play in Sask. If he returns to 2015 form, then it supports the argument that he should have been given another chance here. If he sucks, then we did the right thing in moving him out.

I don't buy the "attitude change" on the O-Line argument. That doesn't make sense to me. During the Austin era we saw the team cycle through a host of O-Line men - some of whom caught on with other teams. I for one was deeply critical of the line (especially Peter D). But I think the change in play calling when Jones took over made the difference.

The absence of a running game is fatal to any O-Line and was the Achilles heel of Austin's game.

Masoli is probably most dangerous when he's on the run. His mobility compensated for any weaknesses on the line and I think the play calling was generally better in the last half of the season.

Masoli has had flashes of brilliance (like his record setting night in Edmonton) but he also takes some cringe inducing sacks well behind the line of scrimmage. Fun to watch, for sure, but 'Jeremiah the Ti-Cat Mesiah'? I don't know.

P.S. Everyone once in a while I see a thread that I wish I had started - this is top of the list. Kudos to Krisiun for starting this one!

Sorry, Collaros was the joke last season. Made history he was so bad. Dude was horrible and afraid. DLine just pinned their ears back and came at him. I used to be a fan of Zach the player. I am no more.

So you expect that type of play to continue in Sask correct?

Good luck with Collaros regaining his 2015 form . I can’t see it happening considering all the biatching around these parts about how bad our O-Line was last year when Collaros started here ? Believe me looking at who the Riders have on their current O-Line ? OUCH !!!If Zach lasts more than 6 games before being Smoked and ILed behind that line in Saskie , I’ll be totally shocked :o

Corky better be upgrading in that department and fast if he wants to keep Zach upright this season . Believe me if he doesn’t it will be a virtual repeat on the prairies to what we saw here last year in the first 8 games of the season for those Rider fans . I personally wouldn’t be at all surprised in the least if Brandon Bridge takes over at some point during this upcoming season . It will be either because of one of two things happening or a combination of both…the 2018 version of Zach turns out to be circa the 2017 version of Zach and nowhere near the 2015 version…or Zach winds up in the tub and on the sidelines in civvies after being injured running for his life behind a very bad O-Line in Saskie this season .

WELL, his receivers are premium in Sask, defense strong. I don’t know much about his OLine other than what Bobo writes. Do i think he will lose every game again? NO, do I think Masoli will outplay Zach this season HELL YA!!!

I beg to differ and would put big $ Up that the biggest cause of change was attitude. I saw near every game. I am a season tickt holder, and I noticed immediately the longer time that Masoli had ba k there! I never saw Masoli run for his life like Collaros did. But we all have our ideas about the causes of change.

But did he have more time because the o-line suddenly got better (attitude? coaching? finally gelling?), or did he have more time because the defences weren’t rushing straight at him in respect of his scrambling ability, or did he have more time because the defences weren’t rushing straight at him because Jones was using a running game more?

Honestly, I don’t know which it was. Most likely a combination of all three.

Yep you are probably right. I am juat a bit leaning towards the boys just trying harder. Itz like when a hockey team is playing pathetic and the coach changes the goalie. Many a time the team rallies and plays better.

The O-Line definitely improved for Masoli but he also has learned to avoid a sack. There is great value in that skill. How many times last year did we see him scrambling for his life and he somehow ends up chucking the ball out of bounds or throwing an incomplete pass to minimize the loss? I like our odds at sustaining a drive much better at 2nd and 10 than a low probability 2nd and 23. :wink:

Wow, why didn't I think of this thread?
This thread brings a tear to my eye.... :'(....
Here it goes...

-The players love him, especially the receivers.
-He is a natural leader by example.
-He is exciting.
-Durable, knock on wood.
-He has fantastic touch on mid and long throws.
-He works hard at improving.
-He made a horrible season turn actually entertaining.
-The lateral to Speedy B against Montreal was ridiculously fun and entertaining.
-He has a bit of Doug Flutie in him! (yes, I said it - he can run, throw, improvise and make the game look easy at times and fun - did I mention he makes this team more entertaining.).
-He's earned his dues. ( I think I said that once before)

I am not sure what our record will end up because the other teams aren't sitting still but I am sure we will be fun to watch and if get on a roll in the fall, you never know!

The lateral to Speedy B against Montreal was ridiculously fun and entertaining.
This one

From what I remember, it’s a play he ran in college, worked on with Banks, and then took to the coach, who added it to the playbook. I suspect we’ll see variations on it a few times this year.

Fun.

* Average at best ?
Yup . Okay . He was so “average” that he only led the league in QB stats the last 10 gms of the 2017 season . The Cats by the way have only won a total of 13 games the last two seasons combined . Mr. “Average at best” Masoli was the starting QB for 10 of those 13 wins.

• He may get us to the playoffs but not to the Big Dance ?
    He almost miraculously got us to the “Big Dance” in 2015 . It was the defence that failed us that day . Masoli had us in great position to pull off the upset and go on to our 3rd straight " Big Dance" appearance and by the way had better stats in that game then a certain “above average” starting QB of that REDBLACK team . The only reason we lost that day was because of Nadon not squeezing a sure shot int thrown right on his numbers and Gainey tripping over his own shoelaces on a 2nd and 25 wing and a prayer chuck and duck pass that never should’ve happened . The loss in that EF and our failure to get to the “Big Dance” had nothing to do with how Masoli played that day .

* He’s just not ready yet ?
Seriously ? You’re saying he’s just not ready yet ? Masoli is heading into his 7th season as a pro and 6th as a Ti-Cat .

His stats the last two seasons are an “Above Average”…5,872 passing yds / 30 tds / 17 ints/ 66 % comp avg / 479 passes comp .

and…

On the ground…111 rushing attempts / 626 yds rushing / 5.2 yd avg / 10 tds

So please do tell us…so just exactly when do you think he will actually be ready in yer opinion ? ???

A QB may be the spark plug, but a football team is first and foremost, just that, a team. Jeremiah seemed to make everyone around him play a little better. Just look at the improved O-line, and Speedy’s stats. Even the run game improved, and Chambers was a legimate receiver.

We have had a few “average at best? QBs over the years, and with a solid team around him, have produced some winning seasons. I’m staying on the Masoli bandwagon. So far he has provided an entertaining and solid performance each time out. He’s earned his shot, and I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do with it.

I still remember why June Jones said he decided to start Masoli over the winless guy.
He said that he was getting a chance and that he wanted Masoli to also get a chance.
2 things could happen. Masoli could take that chance and run with it or he could fail.
He ran-and ran-and ran with it. And did not give the winless guy a chance to get back in there. Good for him and his career.
Now lets sit back and enjoy the show. Masoli is a very smart QB and a leader, He will do well this season.