Hindsight is 20-20.
But if u ask me, why they are sucking this season, I will say these points:
- not taking seriously the injuries from last season. Still waiting for Washington, Butler, and we knew last season already about Fantuz.
Add Toliver to the mix as well now.
You cannot easily replace these players, and I don't think MGMT did.
- Collaros. His knee injury is more serious than they let on. He is not running ( because he can't, or won't ), and he is like a sitting duck, waiting to get sacked.
- losing some key players to Free Agency, and not filling them in very well.
- Their drafting sucks. Besides Revenberg, I don't see any new players taking over; Canadian, or INT.
- Their Offensive Line is getting hammered. Whether it is because of injuries, or because their Offensive Line Coach left ( don't know his name ). It cannot be 'Business As Usual'
given these conditions.
- I don't think they have addressed the running game ( what running game?). Even with Scheurman in, how many touches did he get?
- A rookie Offensive Coordinator. He may be a good one, but he is being fed to the lions - too many issues to deal with, to be successful right now.
- Other Teams have gotten better since last year. Winnipeg is better; Toronto is better; Montreal getting better. And we just lost to the worst Team in Sask. last week.
I am not holding my breath....
When you put all of this together - you get a 0-2 team ( 0-4 if you add pre-season ).
Just my 2 cents...
The Eagle :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy:
Well, Eagle...firstly, Washington played against Toronto & got lit up (as did the whole secondary) for 500 yards. I agree that Butler is a huge loss, along with E. Davis & Kanneh.
As for Collaros, I don't think his knee injury is more serious than they thought. He would not be medically cleared to play if there was an issue, plus it has been over 1.5 years since it happened. I'm more inclined to believe that he doesn't believe in the offence he's being asked to run, so he's trying to force things.
Re: drafting, I think they've done ok. Revenberg emerged last season & Mike Jones was probably our best offensive player against Toronto. I agree that they maybe should have taken an O lineman rather than McGough this year though.
The O line: this is a coaching deficiency. I remember reading a quote last year when Zach was getting hammered saying that an anonymous coach told Paul Friesen (I think?) that they don't understand the Ticats' protection schemes, ie they don't make sense. I doubt any of us would argue with that. I'm a believer that if your O line is broken, you don't stand a chance to win games. This goes hand in hand with your point about the running game. Austin seems to stubbornly cling to a refusal to commit to a ground game. I thought Alex Green showed well in pre-season & that with him, we could have had a ground game for the first time in awhile. But if you can't run block, & your pass pro sucks, what's left? It all starts with the O line. This has to be priority 1.
As for Ptaszek, I think he's a great coach. But he gets 1 game to call plays & then has playcalling taken away? Austin has had far more than 1 game to fix these issues, but here we are, week after week dating back to 2015, trying to understand why this team never shows improvement. Bottom line is, Austin has complete control, it all falls at his feet.
I just wish that we'd get some actual answers instead of the canned responses from Austin that have gotten really old. I know we won't get answers, but I would love to be a fly on the dressing room wall.