Al McColeman

Was that Al McColeman that was injured and taken off on the cart last night? I heard something about him later in the game but missed what was said. Al and I were at Mac phys ed back in the early 70's together and I have kind of watched his CFL career since then.

He blew out his Achilles.....I did the same and it ended my baseball career....it happened on a race to first base on a weak base hit....it was a devastating injury and came with no warning

I expect he's now going to retire........it's the worst non-life threatening injury you can possibly have in sports......Recovery from an Achilles injury is NEVER 100%.....I still feel mine even though it was over 12 years ago.....

It is the same situation facing Wayne Smith of the Riders. Although I will never understand McColeman’s pass interference call against us in the East final in 1983, I respect his longevity as an official. It’s too bad he had this happen. Best wishes on his recovery.

Oski Wee Wee,

. Although I will never understand McColeman's pass interference call against us in the East final in 1983, I respect his longevity as an official. It's too bad he had this happen. Best wishes on his recovery.

Oski Wee Wee,
[/quote]
I doubt that was his call (25 + years ago), but it was, without a doubt, the worst call by any official in CFL history! The only possible challenge to that "title" would be the 1981 Grey Cup "double interference" call. Both changed the outcome of the games,

I doubt that was his call (25 + years ago), but it was, without a doubt, the worst call by any official in CFL history! The only possible challenge to that “title” would be the 1981 Grey Cup “double interference” call. Both changed the outcome of the games,
[/quote]
Trust me, it was. Gerald Bess will back me up. :wink: LMAO

Oski Wee Wee,

8) Oh yes, it was Al McColeman without any doubt at all that made that famous pass interference call against Gerald Bess in the 1983 east Final in Toronto !!!
  I was at the game myself and it was one of the worst calls in CFL history  !!!

McColeman's house was even vandalized by some crazed Hamilton fans a few days later  !!!       <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: -->

You are referring to Ottawa Rough Rider, tight end Tony Gabriel catching a crucial long ball pass with minutes left to go in the 1981 Grey Cup, while an Eskimo DB was basically hanging on to him. One crazy, lunatic refereee called an (and to that point an unheard of penalty) interference penalty on both players, killing the drive in a tied game and advertently giving the ball to the Esks who kicked a last second field goal to win. I wonder to this day who that ref was???

Was it not McColeman who made the Labour Day "Grounding" call as well vs Edmonton????

Has anybody heard how he's doing? I know everybody remembers him for 1 bad call 25 years ago but he is from Hamilton.

I’ve heard no word. Hope he is recovering well. It’s a bad break at this stage of his officiating career. I respect his longevity as a CFL official. <<< there.

If I hear anything online, I’ll post the link.

Oski Wee Politeness,

Misty, but I think so.

8) Yes, I talked to him at the game on Friday night. He was of course still on crutches, but he told me that he felt no pain at all when the injury happened !!!
   He said he is coming along ok now  !!

Thanks for the update, Tipper. At 60 years of age, his CFL career is probably done. :cry:

Gee, at 60 the jake was only half way into his refereeing career…

Too bad about Al tearing the Achilles, but I was in the 5th row at Exhibition stadium that day and remember the Argo fans booing when they saw the flag 'cause they knew the call was against them. No one could believe the call when it went against the cats. To this day I think McColman just got confused and called it against the wrong team. Regardless, the worst call I’ve ever seen in professional sports and quite an enduring legacy…