After a new stadium.. what happens to Ivor Wynne?

If Bob gets a new stadium then what will happen to Ivor Wynne? How long will they leave it standing before it gets torn down? I know that no one here can really answer these questions for sure but i'm just looking for thoughts.

My guess? Either 5 or 10 minutes...or 15 years -- becoming Lister Block Part 2.

nothing that a wrecking ball won't fix ....... and maybe it could keep going with most of the surrounding areas as well.......what an eye sore!

:cowboy:

assuming the new stadium is in a place accessible to minor football, high school football etc; there is no reason to think anything but that IWS would be torn down and sold for development to reduce the city's cost of the new stadium and to add to the tax base.

I would imagine that since the current turf at Ivor Wynne is quite new that they would transfer it to the new stadium or maybe just sell it. I think the current turf went in around 2003.

Will they sell the benches and some of the seating to the public? I want one that has the numbers in magic markers!! 8)

Seriously though, I do, showing this to someone 10 years down the road, er, maybe even now, would be neat. :wink: As someone once said, small things amuse small minds. :wink:

I'm sure a developer would want to build some kind of housing/ apartment complex on the property.
It would give the city some more cash to go towards the new stadium's upkeep or whatever.
The only thing I would want though is a small area set aside in the middle of the development to show that the area was built on the site of Civic/Ivor Wynne Stadium.
If no development...then make it a park for everyone to use and remember what used to be there.

I would just go for a chunk on concrete. I would even pay money for it to help pay for the new stadium.

I bought a $100 brick for the stadium at Western where you got so many letters engraved on it. You could also buy a bigger brick for $1000 with more letters. These were then laid as a sidewalk of some sort in the stadium, never have actually seen where they are at TD Waterhouse.

I want something I can keep though. I have a lot of very good memories at Ivor Wynne. I have missed going there a lot since I moved to Vancouver in 2003.

If you judge the neighbourhood by some of the storefronts
you see driving along Barton Street then I may agree.

but if you walk south from the stadium, catattack
you'll see fine, middle class homes, no eyesores.

To the north you'll see modest homes [mostly well kept]
in that mixed industrial/residential neighbourhood.

Artificial athletic surfaces typically have a lifespan of a decade. The AstroPlay at Ivor Wynne is 6 years old this year. In addition it was installed on the cheap without a typical padded layer. The surface was installed directly over compacted soil or sand.

If there is going to be a $100 million stadium going up, a million or two on a new state-of-the-art surface or even natural turf should be expected.

Every year in the spring the city goes through the stadium and replaces chipped planks. I made away with one in 2004 or 2005.

Section 21, row R, seats 20 something or other.

Well, given the fact that it is 6yrs down the road, the stadium will probably just fall down on it's own :wink: If this all plays out the way it should, they will sell off the land to a developer to recoup some of the money put out for new facilities. Given the politics of some of our politicians there will probably be a push for affordable housing on the land.

The Jumbo Tron will no longer be state of the art, but Bob might be able to sell it to a university. The turf will be on it's last legs and the numbers will be worn off the seats so no use trying to buy the one you sat in for 40 years. I can't really think of anything else worth saving.

Sentimentally, I'd like to see a park with some urban art, plaques and pictures commemorating the site as the original home of the Empire Games and the historic rumbling grounds of the Ti-Cats.

Realistically, I think we could expect a residential development, perhaps with a small park and a strip mall.

joedav, thanks for that info, I'll have to keep my ears peeled for a plank if something comes available. That would be neat to have in the rec room but not sure the wife would allow it. But it's not a fancy rec room anyways so I should be ok.

Really the Turf is already Quite Worn allready the are Rips and Seems all over the place.
they Replace it also See score board being Replace as well..
as IWS The Wrecking Ball will get it and that is a Shame..
we see Houses and Town homes in it place.

If this does come about, it would be a big thing for the city if the school board came on-line and in partnership with the city, sold off the Scott Park property. This would give developers a large piece of property to work with and could lead to more than just housing. Perhaps a new rink , pool and recreation centre for example.

Sorry you feel that way but that eye sore of a neighborhood has been and still is home to some mighty fine people....and where some great footballers got their beginnings...pete della riva, bob krouse, john manel..it is also where honest steelworkers had families-sons and daughters who grew up to be lawyers, teachers, doctors, senior police officers and international renowned authors-- it is that neighborhood and others like it which are the heart and soul of the ticats and their traditions

vacant storefronts and aging homes that were once vibrant are a tragedy.. not the butt of eye sore comments...

n the 50s and 60s, ticat players worked the off season in the steel mills and rubbed elbows in the workplace with the inhabitants of those very same homes and that too is part of the psyche and history of this team

despair in the encrouching poverty of the downtown core
dont "dis" the inhabitants

:?

Good post...thought the same thing when I read that comment -- those are people's homes.
Funny,too, find a neighbourhood like that in Toronto and you're looking at some astronomical costs.

Though, it would be even nicer if your steel-making neighbours would quit belching out black smoke without care, worry or notice.

That's my one paradox with Hamilton -- those arguably responsible for growing our city are the same one's responsible for killing it.