Ackles Writes Article in the National Post

Interesting HF.

I also found this from the Canada Council for the Arts. Not sure where sports could fit into this. I actually do think that Canadian athletes, in this case Canadian CFL'ers, require a domestic industry for their imaginative creations which we do see on the field if you're a CFL fan :wink: :

"Canada’s cultural industries – book and magazine publishing, film and video, sound recording, broadcasting and multimedia – perform a pivotal role in distributing and promoting Canadian cultural products at home and abroad. Without government support of these industries, Canadians would not know many of the talented individual artists and creators that they have come to appreciate – the many writers, actors and actresses, musicians and singers and multimedia artists who require a domestic industry to produce, distribute and promote their imaginative creations.

The federal government has developed a broad range of policy instruments to support the cultural industries, including: financial incentives, content requirements, tax measures, foreign investment and ownership rules and intellectual property measures. These policies are designed to develop Canadian cultural content and to ensure that it is available to all Canadians without limiting their access to foreign cultural products. This comprehensive policy mix of assisting individual artists as well as their respective industries is working – evidenced by the quantity, quality and popularity of Canadian-produced books, films, CDs and multimedia products.

With new technologies making cultural products and services available worldwide, many countries are now actively working to ensure that indigenous cultural and linguistic offerings are available within the context of global, mass culture – in part through a New International Instrument on Cultural Diversity. www.pch.gc.ca/progs/ai-ia/ridp-irpd/03/index_e.cfm

Detailed information on the federal government’s support of the cultural industries is included in the report Canadian Culture in a Global World by the Cultural Industries Sectoral Advisory Group on International Trade www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/tna-nac/canculture-en.asp, and evaluations of federal support to the cultural industries by the Department of Canadian Heritage can be obtained at: www.pch.gc.ca/pc-ch/pubs/ic-ci_e.cfm.

[url=http://www.canadacouncil.ca/aboutus/advocacy/uf127323070180312500.htm]www.canadacouncil.ca/aboutus/advocacy/u ... 312500.htm[/url]

Again I say Bob Ackles has a wealth of experience and knows better than anyone, especially those of us that post on this site what the true threat of the NFL coming to Toronto will be to the CFL. Yes indeed he is being very outspoken on the issue...AND I SUSPECT THERE IS A VERY GOOD REASON FOR THAT!

Governing yourself for drug tests is completely useless. Drug tests only work for the drug there actually testing and Im not even sure if theres a test for GH. If you dont think that 99.9 percent of those guys arent on something I have a real nice piece of realestate for you.

I cant honestly see it worth the hassle for the nfl to ever come to Canada. Im sure the NBA regrets it and other than a few good years when the Skydome first opened Im sure MLB thinks the same.

By the way, this is a five part series in the Post. So I expect another "Inflamatory" article tomorrow to come out!

I guess that means we can expect to see another topic about how clueless Ackles is... :expressionless:

[quote="BobbyP
Governing yourself for drug tests is completely useless. Drug tests only work for the drug there actually testing and Im not even sure if theres a test for GH. If you dont think that 99.9 percent of those guys arent on something I have a real nice piece of realestate for you.
[/quote]
Of course some will cheat the system. Do we stop breathalizing drivers because it can't detect Exctasy or Cocaine?

The owners need to invest more that's all I'm saying. Lets not kidd ourselves here. Had the NFL said Hey BOG we'll give you 50 million a year if you let us share the Toronto market with you guys. They would have signed faster then Charles Roberts could pout. Actually they probably would have been fighting on how to divide the pot. These guys need to come up with a way to grow their product and that means expansion, video game licensing, stable governance, Government lobbying, smart merchandising. Young people aren't interested in a tacky golf shirt with a logo on the chest.

Go see "Affliction Wear" and make a deal for a custom team tshirt and caps.

Riders won the GC. they could have ordered 100 to 500 Commemorative Special edition F150 from ford at a crazy good price and made 2000.00 a unit. That's a cool million right there on 500 units.

Problem with the CFL is its a bunch of old guys who have no connection with today's youth and aren't willing to bring young people to close that divide.

Cohon last season made a big presser with players from each team that the league was going to market. What happened to that. Fizzle, pop, pop...

Its not just a drug policy its a mindset.

[quote author=“HfxTC”]

Of course some will cheat the system. Do we stop breathalizing drivers because it can’t detect Exctasy or Cocaine?

The owners need to invest more that’s all I’m saying. Lets not kidd ourselves here. Had the NFL said Hey BOG we’ll give you 50 million a year if you let us share the Toronto market with you guys. They would have signed faster then Charles Roberts could pout. Actually they probably would have been fighting on how to divide the pot. These guys need to come up with a way to grow their product and that means expansion, video game licensing, stable governance, Government lobbying, smart merchandising. Young people aren’t interested in a tacky golf shirt with a logo on the chest.

Go see “Affliction Wear” and make a deal for a custom team tshirt and caps.

Riders won the GC. they could have ordered 100 to 500 Commemorative Special edition F150 from ford at a crazy good price and made 2000.00 a unit. That’s a cool million right there on 500 units.

Problem with the CFL is its a bunch of old guys who have no connection with today’s youth and aren’t willing to bring young people to close that divide.

Cohon last season made a big presser with players from each team that the league was going to market. What happened to that. Fizzle, pop, pop…

Its not just a drug policy its a mindset.

If you drink and drive will you test yourself???

Dare i say_ could the CFL change a couple rules to appease the NFL freaks in S.O. ? Changing the one foot in rule to two feet in, or no single for a missed field goal inside the 30, for instance???

Drinking and driving is tough enoug as it is without trying to pee in a little plastic jare. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh boy, you’ve done it now…They are going to come and chase you down now. Better hide :wink:

Dare i say_ could the CFL change a couple rules to appease the NFL freaks in S.O. ? Changing the one foot in rule to two feet in, or no single for a missed field goal inside the 30, for instance???

Any changes should actually make sense and help make the game better since you don't mess with history unless there is a need to. Take the two feet thing in the NFL, what a stupid rule. What other sport reuquires this? I have no idea. Hockey offside, one foot onside you touch the puck over the blue line, fine - basketball, one foot in bounds getting the ball, fine - baseball foul territory, one foot fine - colleg football one foot fine. The NFL is dumb, they have great athletes who they should allow for as much stretching to make athletic plays as possible but no, they demand two feet in bounds to "make it more difficult" thus eliminating the guys to really stretch their bodies and make circus catches. Anyone who likes two feet in bounds is thick IMHO.

The single is a very complicated situation that has been discussed endlessly here and everywhere. Bottom line for me, I like the rule as it stands but agree there is lots of room for discussion here. But I doubt this change will make the "NFL only counts" fans take a look at the CFL more, I hardly doubt it.