Ac Gose after ticats Fan in Tweets

I was dissapointed with the amount of fans that showed up to last nights game.

But I was pleased with the amount of noise that the 24,068 made last night. Many of us on this forum complain about the lack of noise being made throughout the game, but that was one of the better crowds in a long time in terms of making noise from the opening snap to the final whistle. The two time count violations in the first half were a good indication of that.

Good Job (To those of you that showed up). :thup:

Just a couple games ago Montreal only drew 23,000 and change at home in a city of over 3 million. I understand the stadium only holds 25,000 and change even after the expansion but it's 3 million + vs. maybe 700,000.

Montreal has sell outs because they have had a winning team for a long time. Before that the attendance was so bad they lost their team. Go figure

Given that Avon purchased 100 tickets himself I can see why he would be angry but you won't fix that by complaining or worse taking a really dumb penalty but that's another issue for which he immeidately apologized. Luv his intensity, hope more people show up this team deserves it. 24 thousand and change is a whole lot better than the old 18-20 more work to be done. Wait till there are only 22-25 thousand available seats in IVII then we will really have a better idea.I just hope I can afford a couple of seats.

I like his intensity and he calls them the way he sees them. THAT’S OK BY ME! :thup:

As for the “dumb penealty”??? The guy ripped his helmet off! If it fired up the team…I’m all for it! “Dumb penealty”…not that time! :wink:

When a player spends $500.00 of his own money to give away tickets, and comes out and bust's his rear the way he did. He has the right to "ask" that the city supports the team. That is all he did, he was polite and honest, so those who feel slighted should take a good look at themselves before blaming Avon and they can always click the stop following button and they won't even see his tweets. Go buy a couple cheap tickets and give them away to kids. Do that 25 times and you can have a say.

The penalty was dumb especially with the time remaining which is why he himself called it "selfish" after the game and he apologized to his teamates. The vast majority of us here on the forums attend the games if we live in the area and give away extra tickets like I did last night. I think we share Avon's frustration but may question his use of a social media to vent even if we do understand it.

I haven't been to a game since 2007.
Season tickets, for most years since 1985.
I'll miss the Labour Day Game, but I will be at all the rest.
Avon gosed me good. :slight_smile:

He's a leader of the team and of the fans. I find what he did amusing.

Take it for what it is, Avon is trying to get the fans fired up!!!!! Or maybe he's Bob's new ticket agent.

he shouldnt be worried about wether thers 1 person in the stands or 30000 his job is to perform and worry about winning and i guess im one of the other 6000 who didnt show up as i had to work till 730 that nite but yes i do have season tickets

and to boot a 630 kickoff is a lil early for some of the working class so how bout he just does his part and stops the chatter i havent heard to many fans sayin oh i wanna go to see colbourne rip it up tonite. Hows this for a tweet colbourne get off ur ass and start producing!!!!!! CYA AUGUST 13TH WITH BELLS ON

First, enough with the excuses. I have heard fans complain about every possible start time. People complain about Thursday night games, afternoon games, night games, early start times to night games, late start times to night games. People complain when the Labour Day game is at 1:00, 4:00 or 6:00. People will always find an excuse not to go to the game.

And if you knew you wouldn’t be able to go, why didn’t you give your tickets to someone who could? You already paid for them, so it’s not like you’re out any money.

Secondly, Cobourne has been producing. He is third in the league in rushing. He had 100 yards and two TDs against BC, and followed that up with over 125 total yards on Friday night. And I don’t know what fans you are talking to, but a lot of the people I talk to are excited to see Cobourne play. So I guess we must cancel each other out.

dont get me wrong blokskee there was nothing more i wanted then to be at the game but i dont feel he needs to be twitting against the fans because once those fans turn on u uve got a tough hill to climb so more a less i take it personal as a shot at working ppl vacationing ppl etc

I don’t think he was attacking any fans. He had said all week via Twitter that he wanted to see a packed house. He was just venting his frustrations that despite a winning streak, fans still don’t want to come out to the game. I think he, like many of us, wonder why this team simply cannot attract enough fans.

The population is listed at around 500,000, and there aren’t 30,000 people out of that 500,000 that want to go see a football game? Perhaps the poster who said Hamilton simply isn’t a sports town anymore was right. It should be easy to fill a stadium with 30,000 people, especially when the team (a) won their last home game convincingly; (b) won their game the week before; and (c) were playing a team the Cats need to beat.

All the elements were there for a large crowd, and yet the same amount that always showed up, showed up. It’s baffling.

So I don’t think Cobourne was ripping any fans because it’s not like his words will stop people from going (because he wasn’t going after the ones who were there) or stop people from not going (because they are already not going).

IMO. it's simple economics... a lot of people in Hamilton don't go to games simply because they cannot afford it. .this doesn't make them any less of a fan... just less fortunate.. I know I cannot afford 2 sets of ST nor can I afford to go to all the games.. I have to pick my games that I want to see and go there.. if someone I or my wife know, have tickets they are not using and offer them to us, well'.. we go.....

Just for 2 people to go the day can cost in excess of $150.00 easily, for tickets couple beers and maybe something to munch on.

I just find it hard to believe that out of 500,000 people, that there aren’t 30,000 who can afford to go to a game. I don’t mean the same 30,000, but once every two weeks there aren’t 30,000 people in this city that can plunk down the money to go see the Cats play? Maybe that’s why the new Ivor Wynne will only be a 25,000 seater.

But how many out of that 500,000 are football fans… just because we have a population like that does not guarantee 60-90,000 are football fans… and the way you are talking we would need 2 or 3 groups of 30,000 fans to accomplish what you say

To add.. our jobless rate has spiked in recent times from 5.4% to 5.9% so I really do think it is an economic issue more than a fan base issue

His first ‘tweet’ is directed at “are base”. I assume he meant ‘our’ not are, but base is definately a reference to our fan base which is the attending fans, obviously those that don’t attend wouldn’t be considered our base correct? I don’t really care enough about what some player tweets but blaming the fans, either those in attendance or those that aren’t is stupidity. If fans don’t attend to see a product it’s obvious either the product or it’s presentation doesn’t interest them enough to pay to go. Bob Young was pretty vocal when he first bought this team that when fans don’t show up the only one responsible is the team for not doing a good enough job, has that somehow changed? Was that only directed at the past ownership? I’ve had my current seats for twenty years and right now I’m honestly considering letting all 5 of them go based on a few things.
I asked a member of the cats front office a few weeks ago (a high ranking one) if the team will be letting fans know where the games will be played during the re-build prior to enforcing a deadline on seasons deposits, meaning, do I have to put down my deposit not knowing where the games (if any) will be played during construction.
I’ll give him that he was at least honest when he said it probably won’t be a priority seeing as how the team will have a very full plate at that time. Fair enough. In his head Im sure he heard himself saying ‘were important people doing important things’, I heard ‘keeping fans informed isn’t a priority to us’.
I asked about retaining current seat locations after the reno/rebuild. Again I can’t damn a man for being truthful but I don’t have to like or agree with what I was told. Seat locations will be decided on tenure and dollar value. How much you spend and how long you’ve been there. I’m feeling pretty safe in that regard as I know I’m in the upper end of personal account spending on seasons tickets butit does bug me that anyone that spends one dollar more and has had seats for one year more can demand and recieve my seats. That at least is what I believe was said.
Sorry if I find it a bit odd that the team would look surprised when I don’t write a $3,000 cheque for games that I don’t know where they’ll be played and after the rebuild where those seats will be.
I’m fairly certain I’ll still be in my seats come 2014 but I do have to admit it’s an amusing thought that should I finally cancel and buy a boat to retire on that I’ve been looking at, someone like yourself who’s had seasons for two years (correct?) will be giving me some ‘don’t let the door hit you’ crap if I say here I’m packing it in.
We’re putting a consistant 22-24 thousand in the stands based soley on loyalty to the brand, to get the other 8-10 thousand the teams going to have to take either the credit or the blame, we’ll see which. Once we get a reputation for winning more than we lose and we start addressing some of the needs in the stands it might come about but there’s a lot of things that need to change to put a steady 28,000 in the seats.

Not true at all. Just because you don’t go to the game doesn’t mean you’re not a part of the fan base. How many fans on here are not from Hamilton? Do they not count towards the fan base?

It’s one person’s opinion. It wasn’t stupid, it was how he felt.

What more does the team have to do? They are playing winning football, have been to the playoffs the last two seasons (hosting the East Division Semi-Final both times) and came into this past game on a two-game winning streak. Does the team have to be undefeated and beat every opponent by 100 points before that’s good enough?

And this is all fine and good, and it is your prerogative if you don’t want to renew your seats because of what you were told; however, what does this have to do with Avon Cobourne’s tweets?

Tsk, tsk, sir. You should assume what others will say. As I said above, it is your choice to have seats or not. And I have had season tickets for two season, three if you count buying a ticket to every game in 2009 when I wasn’t planning on staying in Hamilton full time but did (I lived in northeastern Toronto for six years prior to); however, what does any of this have to do with Avon Cobourne’s tweets?

So you’re saying that people are staying away because the Cats are a .500 team the last two years? Are you also saying that if the Tiger-Cats go to Calgary next week and head home at 4-2 on a four-game winning streak to play their arch rivals, we should expect a bigger crowd? Or are you asking for sustained excellence over a decade? Half a decade?

Also, note that the Als – as successful as any team in pro sports over the past 15 years – have yet to sell a game out in 2011. If case you forgot, they are coming of back-to-back championships. So is winning really the cure all?

What are “some of the needs in the stands” that need to be addressed?