AC contemplating retirement

[url=http://www.985sports.ca/football/nouvelles/calvillo-j-ai-parle-de-mon-avenir-avec-ma-femme-262718.html]http://www.985sports.ca/football/nouvel ... 62718.html[/url]

The title is a little misleading.. Calvillo actually said he wasn't contemplating retirement (right now, because of the injury), that he would re-evaluate after the season as he has been the last few years. And that yes, the "R" word has been mentioned a lot at home the past few years now.. and yet so far he has kept coming back for one more each time.

The interesting part of the article is about how many Als are really impressed with what Troy Smith has been doing in practice.. with Calvillo possibly going on the 9gm, you're left to wonder how long it will be until the Als decide to move up the date of his first appearance.

I could see one of those 9 games Marsh having a tough time, bad game, and Popp putting Smith in there to see if he can jump start things.

I'm far from convinced Smith is the answer, but I sure like going from having what felt like no potential successors to AC just a few weeks ago.. to now 2 who at least have peaked my curiosity. In a season where I was starting to tune out, the QB situation now has me not wanting to miss a minute to see how things play out.

[quote="G Man"]The title is a little misleading.. Calvillo actually said he wasn't contemplating retirement (right now, because of the injury), that he would re-evaluate after the season as he has been the last few years. And that yes, the "R" word has been mentioned a lot at home the past few years now.. and yet so far he has kept coming back for one more each time.

The interesting part of the article is about how many Als are really impressed with what Troy Smith has been doing in practice.. with Calvillo possibly going on the 9gm, you're left to wonder how long it will be until the Als decide to move up the date of his first appearance.

I could see one of those 9 games Marsh having a tough time, bad game, and Popp putting Smith in there to see if he can jump start things.

I'm far from convinced Smith is the answer, but I sure like going from having what felt like no potential successors to AC just a few weeks ago.. to now 2 who at least have peaked my curiosity. In a season where I was starting to tune out, the QB situation now has me not wanting to miss a minute to see how things play out.[/quot]

I keep reading the same things about Troy Smith: Rocket arm, Intelligent, humble, leader, athletic, motivated. I'm not worried. In fact the logical chain of events (not sure how and when) Smith will likely be the starter at some point and Marsh will keep developing. One is 28 Heisman winner and NFL starter the other is 23 and has played one season of Div2 football. There is a huge difference in the amount of football these two guys have played. Now let's hope that Desjardins won't come and raid our roster.

As long as we have time this year to determine if we have our next franchise QB here, and if so which one it so we can protect him in the expansion draft, I wouldn't mind OTT taking the other.. as it the allows us to protect more position players, and thus help maintain our depth at positions that are more likely to play regularly than a backup QB.

I'm not wishing it, but if it does happen it will allow us to keep other players I don't want to lose either.

The tragedy would be if we protect what ends up being the wrong guy, and OTT takes the right one we left unprotected.. and then we're screwed, at least for the short term.

The Als have to be careful about which QB they protect, as it will be perhaps the most important decision they have made for some time. But Having made the choice (whatever it is) I actually hope Ottawa takes one of their QBs from the Als precisely for the reason you mention, it would allow the Als to protect two additional non-imports. QB and non-import strength are the two keys in the CFL. If the Rouge et Noir tale an Als QB, Montreal could protect 3 of their 5 starting O-Linemen and still exempt 5 other non-imports from the draft.

BTW, if not a QB, I hope they sign a couple of good import kickers at some point. If Ottawa selected an import kicker the Als could protect one additional non-import. And no, a team cannot lose both a QB and a kicker.

Well we won't have to protect Whyte unless he's extended before the draft. As of right now we don't even have a kicker to protect.

(1) Would we even want to protect Whyte? LOL

(2) The extra non-import exemption only applies to import kickers apparently. Strange, as non-import kickers are are the ones at a higher premium. The first round should be imports and kickers.

Yeah its use it or lose it. I would not be surprised to see him sign with BC in free agency. McCallum was injured this year, he's old and has refused to rework his contract twice.

One way it could play out.. is that the Als are known for having pretty good depth, Desjardins being very familiar with that depth.. so they would be inclined not to take a QB here, as to not allow Popp to protect more players they will want to grab.

Then again, getting the right QB might be more important than anything.. so if they like the one we don't protect enough, they're taking him regardless.

From Desjardins's perspective, preparing for an expansion draft has to be a lot of work.. pretty fun too. Getting to raid other teams like that.

I see them taking one of our offensive linesmen. We are the richest team in the league at the position.

It might also be possible for teams to make deals with the Rouge et Noir, giving them a player with a deal that they will take a specific other player in the draft. That would give teams some control over who they lose in the import or the first round of the non-import and Ottawa a player who might not be available in the second non-import round.

Now the Als have 4 QBs with Smith and Marsh looking to be competing for the number one role. I would have to think that we could lose one of these guys to Ottawa. In addition, we may have one or two of our drafted Canadian OL cut from the NFl. Is there any way we could cheat and, say make an agreement with a NI X from the NFL, to announce his signing after the Ottawa draft. We have some idea of what Marsh can do, but, perhaps Troy Smith might be better. I am sure that all the teams who have a relatively young 2nd string QB will try to make some sort of deal with Ottawa.

If I'm not mistaken, I think I remember the Habs making a deal with Nashville to draft Vokoun in their expansion draft.. so we could keep Theodore & Thibault.
Just happens we gave them the best goalie of the 3, when all was said & done.

We'll see how this plays out.. Popp will have a chance to show his GM chops, and maybe take advantage of his good relationship with the OTT GM. :wink:

And I expect every team to be trying to make such deals with Ottawa to have some more control over who they lose.

Interesting article by Jack Todd urging Anthony to retire:

[url=http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/football/montreal-alouettes/Jack+Todd+time+Anthony+Calvillo/8860649/story.html]http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/f ... story.html[/url]

Whether AC is put on the 9-game or not...it seems we'll have plenty of opportunity to realistically assess Tanner Marsh...and unless I'm mistaken....Josh Neiswander.
As I've mentioned before....the essential in appraising all the young quarterbacks this year (Collaros, Mitchell, Goltz, Marsh etc)...is determining whether they have the skills to do consistently what they may have done in their first outings.

Again...it's one thing to excel against a CFL team that has little or no idea what your strengths and weaknesses are as a quarterback.
It's a COMPLETELY different different story when the league has 2-3 games of film on you and there's nowhere to hide.

Perfect example last night: Glenn goes down and the Stampeders BARELY squeek by with Mitchell at the controls. Collaros has gone from hero to zero in 2-3 games and Goltz is proving Winnipeg's problems go deeper than changing GM, CEO, an OC (or even HC).

Will Tanner Marsh buck the trend?

At least he has the advantage of a solid defence and special teams unit.
That's certainly a solid foundation for ANY quarterback.
And with London and Whitaker returning a new dynamic in this offence isn't out of the question.

[url=http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Alouettes+Brandon+Whitaker+returns+from+injury/8860771/story.html]http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/A ... story.html[/url]

Before AC took over this team it belonged to Tracy Ham and Mike Pringle
(In his last 5 seasons with the Alouettes Pringle ran for 1775yds, 2065yds, 1656yds, 1778yds, 1323yds)
The combination of Pringle's running and Ham's (albeit ageing) athleticism was exciting to watch....and pretty potent to boot!!

The point is this:
Not only would Whitaker and Messam represent a combination of speed, elusiveness, and brute power on the ground the Alouettes haven't seen SINCE Mike Pringle.
The evolution of a young quarterback/s would go a LOT smoother if a lethal running game could shoulder a good portion of the responsibility.
Like I said before, with a solid defence and ST...the offence ONLY needs to be sure it doesn't turn the ball over and that it maintains a respectable time of possession and field position: both of which are assured with a potent ground attack.

The other aspect is creating a NEW offensive system that acknowledges both the transition from Calvillo's "Air AC" imperative...and the necessity (and wisdom) of simplifying things both for Marsh AND for the potential insertion of Troy Smith. With Marsh and/or Smith's athleticism the time has come to re-tool the offence...and despite protests that "it isn't done in the CFL" perhaps a read option style offence might suit the Alouettes present predicament.

Regardless of the specifics...I hope it's clear to Popp and Co. that this team isn't going to win throwing rookie bombs into the swirling vortex of the unknown.
A solid, reliable and potent ground game is the way to go.

:cowboy:

Someone should urge Jack to do the same 8)

Talk about someone having pictures of their boss with farm animals! Gazette sports dept. went from the sublime to the ridiculous when he took over from Michael Farber.

:thup:

push some boutons did he? :roll:

Nothing like you. You'd write an article a day till they fired you.