Aaron Hunt released by Als

Obie has 2 grey cups
Obie has grey cups from 1983 (Arblows coach) and 2006(Lions director of player personel)
Obie has been in the CFL since 1963.
In management on CFL teams since 1974.

ZERO as a Football Boss

To be clear, I don’t care that they cut Hunt; it’s the reasoning that doesn’t fly with me. He was clearly good enough to make the team out of training camp and play in the first four games, so unless they are bringing someone in off the street or someone is coming back from an injury, whoever is taking Hunt’s spot wasn’t better than him the last two months. If they were, they would have played instead of him. I don’t see how any team could properly evaluate a new player after just four games.

I agree. We will see how it pans out. Not sure it was a Trestman decision :wink:

Your disrespect for Obie is obvious.

Obie is a great GM, IMHO
He has earned his position.
Hopefully he has another Grey Cup coming before he retires!

Not at all. Better is better, just sayin and 99 percent of football fans would agree and all 8 teams would hire Jim if they had the choice between the two.

So Aaron Hunt is THE problem with the Alouette’s defense.????

The same defense that is averaging 35 points against a game, the worst score in the entire league. The same defense that is rating at or near the bottom in 13 of 25 defensive categories this season.

How about Chip Cox taking 3 PI calls in the Hamilton game alone!

Their defensive co-ordinator, Jeff Rhinebold, when in Winnipeg, his defences averaged 30 points scored against per game for 2 years in a row.

Aaron Hunt, meanwhile, was the league rookie of the year in 2006. League all star twice, including 2011: had 29 tackles and 7 sacks also last year.

Won a Grey cup last season too.

Is the same player that Scott Flory said is “smart and reads well?, “very athletic, and “always a focal point?.

Is the same player that Marc Trestman said was “passionate about being an Alouette? and “brings a lot of great qualities and understanding?.

Aaron Hunt said he “was hungry to prove himself as an Alouette?, and vowed to become a leader in Montreal.

According to some reports, Aaron Hunt was one of the biggest free agent signings in this last off season.

Aaron Hunt is playing a new position in Montreal , nose guard, in a 3-4 defense. Patience should be needed.

Now, Trestman did come out and say that the departed Hunt was not the reason why they lost the game last week. Fact remains he was the ONLY player that was released in the aftermath. Their special teams and running game aren’t producing results either. Hunt responsible for those short coming too?

Trestman also said that Hunt’s release was to provide the team an opportunity to give their younger players a chance at some playing time.

A player with that much talent and success, suddenly has forgotten how play football?

And all that lack of production was because of him alone?

Obie has been criticzied by some for not being “veteran friendly?. Take a look at the list of names that the Alouettes have released in this past offseason just on their defense, and measure the results so far.

Some have disliked Obie’s scouting and choices. Yet, he is building a contender. Tied for first currently in the east division.

If this Alouette team isn’t getting it done. Maybe they don’t have good schemes. Maybe, they don’t have the right players.

Maybe, it’s a coaching and personnel (management) issue.

Perhaps, it’s too soon to panic in Montreal.

But to release ONE!!!

I call it scapegoating!!!

Popp is a great GM, his record speaks for itself.
Your disdain and disrespect for Obie is still obvious.

Well your facts are wrong. Winnipeg has allowed the most points.

Yes you are tied for first with a team that is as bad as you say :slight_smile:

Trestman is very, very vet friendly but it appears Reinebold isn’t. I’m worried about that hire more than anything else. Aaron will find work…Reinebold may not when this is all over.

Its early…

Like Doug would be a shill. LMAO.
I’d like to see the guy going to tell him that. He’d probably just laugh and come up with a smart ass remark.

Doug Brown Hall of Fame player who played for ONE team.

Maybe the Als are taking a page out of the Argos’ book and signing random people off the street to play on their D-line.

Argos sign giant who has never played football
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Toronto/2012/07/23/20019551.html

“We saw film on him lifting weights. He’s never played football before, but he’s very athletic. He did 33 reps on the bench,? Barker said.

"Well your facts are wrong. Winnipeg has allowed the most points."

my mistake...

"Yes you are tied for first with a team that is as bad as you say"

and maybe you're fortunate to be where you are

"Trestman is very, very vet friendly but it appears Reinebold isn't. I'm worried about that hire more than anything else. Aaron will find work...Reinebold may not when this is all over."

And I suggested shortly after his hiring that Rhinebold would prove to be the Als greatest problem

"Its early..."

And that exactly why Hunt's departure doesn't make any sense. Except that this is the same team that acquired another free agent in Restelli and he didn't even get past training camp.

Yes, it's still a long season to go and you have a quarterback on a half a shoulder that will only get worse with more abuse from opposing defenses, maybe even one featuring Aaron Hunt.

I never liked Hunt. Maybe it says something that my boyfriend didn’t even realize he played against us…

The Als are not tied for first with the Cats. While their records may be the same at 2-2, as a result of the victories over Montreal and Toronto, the Cats are alone in first place.

I really don't get the confusion. Hunt was a bust in his short time with the Als, and was being paid a lot of coin with the idea that he'd be a difference-maker. He wasn't. Through four games, four tackles, no sacks, and very little pressure up the middle. Is he the only problem with our defense? No, but you have to start somewhere, and considering how poor our pass rush has been so far, someone had to pay the price.

Sorry..I don't have the link but I read in todays Winnipeg paper that even though the Bombers are 0 and 4, they're not interested in Hunt. They watched the film and took a pass on him.

That might speak volumes.

Four games. He had four games. You really believe that is enough time to evaluate whether he will pan out or not?

Cats have played 3 home games. Toronto and Montreal 2. :roll:
But happy for you :lol:

You would not accept this excuse when Stevie Baggs was released.

D&P Said
"Actually, what he does is bring in high-profile guys and cut them the second their performance dips or there’s even the vague possibility of bringing in a cheaper guy to fill the role. Baggs was dominant in 2010. He was average last year, like the whole defense, and for that he gets kicked to the curb? Cobourne was great for you guys last year. Now he’s unemployed because Obie thinks a guy two years removed from one 1000-yard season can be the player Avon was through 18 games and the playoffs, but on a cheaper contract. Bruce was your star receiver until last season; at the first drop in productivity, caused more by Khari Jones deciding to use Bruce less in the offense, Obie trades him for really not much in return.

There’s no patience in team-building here, no willingness to let a core group find its identity. It’s just quick fix after quick fix, chasing the latest high-profile free agent, then ruthlessly cutting them in the second year of a multi-year contract. What happens if Burris struggles? If Fantuz doesn’t regain his previous form? What will be the next get-rich-quick scheme?"

This is not the first time you have brought this up and it really has no bearing on anything that was said (and hasn’t been at any other point either). So are you saying that Winnipeg is only 0-4 because they haven’t played at home yet? Are you saying that the Argos and Als will go undefeated at home? What does it matter that the Cats have had three home games? Is it because home teams are 14-2 so far this season? Should Hamilton be penalized because they had three home games in four weeks? Or should they be downgraded because they lost one at home? Facts are facts and at this point in the season, Hamilton owns the tiebreaker over both Montreal and Toronto. Will that stick? Who knows. But right now, Hamilton is in first place because of their WINS over the Als and Argos, not because they’ve played three home games. We’ll see where everyone stands in 15 weeks, but right now the Ti-Cats sit atop the standings.