AAFL

Hey Guys,

After reading a few things on here about this new league, scheduled to begin play in the Spring of '08, I went to their website, www.allamericanfootballleague.com and decided to do my own investigating, to decide what, if any impact it would have on the CFL. In my humble opinion, it will have an impact, but most likely only in a positive sense, and even then, only a minor one, if at all. As far as whether or not it will succeed at all, only time will tell, and for those of you who will comment as to the many reasons why it won't, if it doesn't, your not at all a genius, this, as is any business endeavor, a very hard thing to succeed at. I only make that last point, to try and limit the naysayers, who beleive they're geniuses for stating, It won't succeed.

As far as the impact it will have on the CFL, again, I think it will only be positive, and minimal at that. NFLEuropa folded, and if you ask me, in addition to the money they where losing, the NFL decided, if someone else wants to run a minor league and foot the bill, go ahead, it can only benefit them. That is where I beleive it will benefit the CFL as well, if it does at all. This league is a minor league, and without using the word minor, they have all but said that is what they are. So, just like the NFL, the CFL, now has another training ground from which to scout talent. Of course, I understand, that it is yet another version of the American game from which to scout, but, last I checked about half the CFL, started out playing American Football. Also, on their website, the directly say, they'll be sending invitations, to any eligible player, without contract obligations to either the NFL, CFL, or NFLE(outdated). That being said, they did not mention the Arena league, meaning they won't mind haggling with that league over contract disputes, but aren't looking to take on the CFL, or NFL for that matter.

Personally, for me, if anyone read my All-Star game thread, this league, may prove itself to be a viable candidate to take on a group of CFL All-Stars. Of course, in that thread, I did give the nod to Mark Cubans UFL, over this league for chances of ever getting started up, and fielding quality teams. That opinion was based mostly on this league not starting this spring, which was initially planned, but there is something to be said for not rushing into things.

CFL_NEPATS_FAN -- I think you are correct on a lot of points here although it will be a little harder for the CFL to scout players from the AAFL because of timing (the players will just be finishing their season around the time the CFL is getting started).

I agree that the NFL probably took a look at these two leagues (UFL and AAFL) supposedly starting up in 2008 and that played into their decision to shut down NFLE. They'll be getting their developmental leagues for free now and might even go so far as to provide quiet assistance to get them off the ground.

I still think shutting down NFLE is incredibly short-sighted considering they plan on broadening their international exposure through their 'International Series' regular season games. I see it as an indication that they will likely adopt the 17-game schedule to further that end. The short-sighted part is that NFLE was gaining in popularity and they have essentially slapped in the face the biggest supporters of American football outside of the US (German NFLE fans) just prior to the time when they are rumored to be staging a regular season game there (2008).

I agree, with the shortsightedness, on the part of the NFL, as well as possible quiet assistance for the AAFL, not so much for the UFL, as they do plan to play in the fall, and try to capture some NFL viewers. I don't think it will be that tough for CFL to scout AAFL, and that time of year who would they be scouting? Other than of course other CFL teams, but most of the talent there is already known to them. I'd still like to see some sort of All-Star game between the CFL All-Stars, and the AAFL if the talent proves worthy of course.

Only problem is, the AAFL plans to have higher salaries than the CFL which means 2 things.

1. It will be hard to scout players from there.
  2. The AAFL will almost certainly fold within the first 3 years of its existence.

While your first point poses a problem, your second point, is exactly what i was trying to avoid speaking about on here. Unless, you can give me an exact date and time the league folds, as well as details, like which teams will fold first individually, before the entire league itself folds, I really think your second point is designed to make yourself look very smart, while it doesn't do that, I'll take your point as you certainly have the right to your opinion.

I have my reasoning. High salaries means less profit.

While I was sure you had your reasoning, I'd have called you an idiot, if I didn't think you had a reason. What I think is unreasonable is the margin of error you give yourself in the timetable you give for it to fold. Almost certainly in its first 3 years, not only makes you look right if it folds in its first 3 years, but if it does fold after that since you said "almost certainly", that to me is not a very educated guess

the UFL will fail, very nicely in fact.

it's foolish to have a league go in August in competition with the NCAA, CFL and NFL.

The AAFL plan however is possibly very helpful to the NFL/CFL and will only really hurt the AFL.

the AFL plans to pay players more then the CFL's league Min, but less then CFL star players.
players could leave the CFL for the AAFL and the AAFL to the CFL.
but considering the CFL is set to be moving their cap higher, 500K-1M$ higher the CFL average could in fact be higher then the 100K said to be the norm in the AAFL.

5M/46 = 108K+ average.
Money from TSN is going, Montreal is getting 5K more seats, Winnipeg a new stadium, League sponsorship from other sources are set to be re-newed(and likely increased)

If only this new AAFL would start up slightly early and get their season(and playoffs) done before the CFL season starts, and thus the reg season done by the start of the CFL pre-season.

Perfect feeder league. hehe

THIS LEAGUE WILL STEAL TALENT AWAY FROM THE CFL WHICH RELIES ON THE CUTS FROM NFL AND PLAYERS FROM THE NCAA FOR THE CFL TO GET TOP AMERICAN PLAYER THEY WOULD HAVE TO PAY ATLEAST 100,000 PLUS SALARIES FOR PLAYERS BECAUSE I KNOW THE NEW LEAGUE WOULD BE LOOKING AT THE CFL BASE OF PLAYERS UNLESS THE CFL DROPS ITS AFFIRMITAVE ACTION IMPORT RULES TO GET LESSER SKILLED CANADIAN PLAYERS OR INCREASE THE IMPORT RULES TO GET MORE CANADIAN PLAYERS TO FILL THE VOID OF NCAA PLAYERS AND NFL CUT PLAYERS.TO ME IT WOULD BE NO POINT TO HAVE A ALL-STAR GAMES BEWTWEEN THIS LEAGUE AND THE CFL UNLESS WE PLAY IT AGAINST NON-IMPORTS PLAYERS ONLY BEAUSE MOST THE AMERICAN GUYS HAVE PLAYED AGAINST EACH OTHER ALREADY IN THE NCAA.MOST AMERICANS WANT TO PLAY AT HOME ANYWAY IF THEY CAN BUT SINCE THERES NO SPRING LEAGUE THEY GO TO CANADA AND PLAY TO BE HONEST.THIS WILL ONLY HURT THE CFL GAME BECAUSE CANADA DOEST HAVE A GOOD FEEDER SYSTEM FOR FOOTBALL COMPARED TO THE NCAA THE IS ISNT A FEEDED SYSTEM REMOVE THE IMPORT LAUSE AND THERE WOULD BE HARDLY NO CANADIANS PLAYING IN THE FL H ARDLY

Please don't feed the troll.

I agree Barnes, it would be great if they didn't overlap, but so be it. Where did you find your info on the UFL, I haven't been able ti find any, other than one interview, with Cuban, which is the only reason I know they plan on games for Friday nights.

The graveyard is littered full of failed "pro" football leagues in the States.
At the end of the day, the CFL and NFL remains.
I would venture this latest fiasco won't even get off the ground. Which reminds me was this the same "league" that was suppose to have started in the spring 06.
A lot to do about nothing.

they are basing the league around ncaa rules this league if backed by nfl to me will work cfl should pay atleast 250k per player anything under 100k to get pounded on isnt good this new league based in the states to me will work

Here’s an article from July 5th:

http://sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10246607

It seems to think that the max salary will be $75k, and doesn’t seem to be too optimistic about the new league.

alot of players that play here dont nessisarily play for the money, they play for the opportunity to play and if the can find another league in the US in which most of the players who come from,they will probably go there so it might be bad for the CFL but i dont even think these leagues will start. it will be hard to compete with the CFL, NCAA, NFL, and the AFL

Did anyone understand what the troll said?

I can read bad Grammar/spelling... but there is bad and there is BADDDDD.

True not very optimistic and doesn't really cause a few of stealing elite CFL talent.

But atleast this league is showing smarts to set a sane max salary to start things off.

not really scared of them though. they are a threat to the AFL first and foremost.

[url=http://www.gambling911.com/United-Football-League-053007.html]http://www.gambling911.com/United-Footb ... 53007.html[/url]

Along with Wiki of course.
the AAFL seems to show more likeliness to play as they atleast have a website already, the UFL does not. although cuban seems unlikely to fail.(atleast so out-right)

IF THIS LEAGUE IS PLAYED IN THE SPRING IT WILL STEAL TALENT FROM THE CFL BECAUSE THE CORE OF THE CFL TALENT IS PRODUCED IN THE USA UNLESS THE CFL DROPS ITS IMPORT STATUS TO LET MORE AMERICANS AND INCREASEES IT PAY TO LIKE 150,000 PER PLAYER THIS LEAGUE WILL STEAL TALENT IN VERY MAJOR WAY IF THE NFL BACKS ONE OF THESE LEAGUES I SEE IT HAPPENING OR THE CFL COULD INCREASE IT IMPORT NUMBERS TO ALLOW MORE CANADIANS IN.THE NEW LEAGUE WILL LOOK AT GETTING THE BEST TALENT IT CAN GET PLAYING IN HAMILTON ONTARIO OR MIAMI?WHERE WOULD YOU CHOOSE?PLAYING FOR 60,000 OR 150,000 WHAT WOULD YOU TAKE?ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY AND THATS WHAT AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE ABOUT THAT ALL MIGHT DOLLAR.I THINK THE CFL NEED TO DROP THE IMPORT STATUS O FPLAYERS RAISE THE PAY TO KEEP QUALITY TALENT FROM SLIPPING AWAY OR GO WITH LESSER TALENTED CIS PLAYERS

are you retarded? if you are talking about me then you are mentally stupid because all i want to do is talk to people about the sport i love and to voice my opinion