AAFL 2008 SEASON CANCELLED SO CFL IS VERY LUCKY..

WITH THE AAFL 2008 CANCELLED THEIR 2008 SEASON DUE TO TRYING TO GET TV AND RADIO DEALS,THE CFL SHOULD BE CLAPPING THEIR HANDS AND COME UP WITH SOME MASTERMIND PLAN TO KEEP THEIR PLAYERS IN CANADA..SOME CFL PLAYERS SIGNED CONTRACTS WITH SOME AAFL TEAMS,THE CFL NEEDS TO EXPAND TO THE STATES THAT SUPPORTS CFL FOOTBALL LIKE CITIES LIKE DETROIT,MILWAUKEE, PORT HURON,COLUMBUS OH THAT WILL BE THE ONLY WAY FOR THE CFL TO SURVIVE IN PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL..I KNOW ALOT OF YOU DISAGREE ON EXPANSION TO THE STATES WITH WAT HAPPENED LAST TIME BUT U IF KNOW SPORTS U CAN'T PUT A FOOTBALL TEAM IN A NON FOOTBALL CITY DONT MATTER IF ITS CFL OR NFL IF ITS A NON FOOTBALL CITY IT WONT WORK AND THIS IS A NEW TIME AND ERA SO CFL PLZ PUT A TEAM IN MOTOWN WE LOVE THE CFL...CFL FANS TELL ME WAT U THINK... 8)

CFL didnt lose many players and still would have been strong even if this pathetic new league didnt fold before its first TC

DETROIT,MILWAUKEE, PORT HURON,
Port Huron??? Okay, add in Sarnia and Lambton County,and you get 140,000 but this is hardly big league territory. Presuming some Detroit bleed? That's probably like saying that Toronto fans would come out to support a Cambridge, ON team in a minor league.

Leaving aside the whole issue as to whether there are US markets that would support CFL football (in stadiums that can accomodate a CFL field - no more 8 yard endzones and sidelines that are between the second and third rows of the seats), the thing about US expansion I can't get my head around is the difference in roster configurations.

To me the integrity of the game is challenged when you have teams playing under two markedly different roster rules. Something would be lost from the game to eliminate the Canadian quota for our teams up here, but antitrust laws prohibit applying it to US teams. I just don't see a way around this problem.

Is this the league that was going to use local college players. If so the idea I had was to use only players that played college ball in Michigan for a Detroit team. I dont know if there would be some law against it or not just an idea.

e IF YOU CAME TOO THE STATES THE CFL COULDNT HAVE IMPORT/NON IMPORT RULES ITS AGAINST THE LAW

Yes, if the CFL went to the States, the American teams would, by law, be able to use ONLY American players.

So here's an idea! Let's forget forever expanding into the States. It didn't work the last time, and it won't work the next time.

Don't ever forget that the Americans have literally thousands of football players who would love to make a few bucks playing their game.

Don't even think about upsetting what is now a fairly even playing field.

Nope, that was not the issue, lots of American sports teams use players from other countries, just look at the NHL, the issue is that you could not force them to follow the ration where a certain percentage are Non-Imports as designated by the CFL rules.

You have us confused with someone who cares!

And until that labor law is changed we won’t be coming back. If you want our game then come and get it(that means doing what it takes to get our game without manipulating it for yourselves)!!!

kel

:wink:

Pardon me?

kel

I think the AAFL needs to play a game before the CFL starts worrying about them. I recall the XFL had quite the hype surrounding it as well.

I’m sorry, I can’t dumb that down anymore.

What if you took out the punctuation?

:lol: Nicely played, Chief...

i agree wholeheartedly about Expanding into Realistic U.S.A markets, There have been Americans Playing in Canadian football For Almost a Century.. the CFL is THE International Football League , AND A CFL American Division IS the Only viable League to operate opposite the NFL. Windsor/Detroit. is one local, L.A could be another, and there are several huge cities that could support Nfl and CFL.IMHO=------------think this statement is totally misguided"To me the integrity of the game is challenged when you have teams playing under two markedly different roster rules. Something would be lost from the game to eliminate the Canadian quota for our teams up here, but antitrust laws prohibit applying it to US teams. I just don't see a way around this problem" ONLY One American team stood out above the Canadian teams AND that TEAM was coached by DON Mathews-

I said that they would be ABLE to use only American players. I didn’t say that they MUST use only American players.

Using your analogy of other leagues, would you suggest which other countries the Americans might scan for qualified football players!

So say if California had a team they couldnt make a rule to only let people born in California play on that team?

I think it would be like RIM saying it only wanted to hire people from the Waterloo Region to work at its head office complex.

The only logical way to locate a franchise in the US and still have the league rules apply, would be to grant a franchise to Windsor. Have the head office and practice field in that city but effectively play your games out of Detroit. I don't think the US government could do much about that. Thats even if it was on the league's agenda.