A Win is A Win!!

Well it wasn't pretty in the end but a 30 to 29 victory for he Cats against Edmonton and something to build on following the Bye-Week break, hopefully we can get more players back off of the Injury List and playing again.

Great job tonight by Greg Ellingson and Sam Guigarre and Bakari Grant catching most balls thrown his way. The backfield of Gable & Walker looked good and at least we had a rushing game.

Enjoy the break Tiger-Cats and lets keep the Wins coming!!

EAT EM RAW TIGER-CATS!!!

The ending of this movie needs some work but there were definitely some major positives. Now heading into the bye week they should get some of the injured players back. The Cats next play Winnipeg twice in a row and if they win those two games they can claw there way back up to a .500 record.

Not unrealistic at all.

Well said ... :thup: :thup: :thup:

A road win with an incredibly injured team against EDM's starters. Not sure one can complain all that much. When was the last win in EDM anyway ?

Good posts, Wow 2006 last win in Edmonton for the Cats, just another hurdle our Tiger-Cats overcame last night and it shows as we get players back from injury this team is much different and more on par or better than most teams in the CFL.

Our Defense also came up big last night, only one sack but we constantly hammered Reilly and got in some beautiful hits on the Edmonton QB, good job D-Line and Linebackers and great to have Dee Webb back. My only disappointment on defense is that we could have had two or three picks, interceptions last night and all dropped balls again like last year, we need to fix that in the Bye-Week, these DB's need to pick that ball off because it' can be a huge game changer.

EAT EM RAW TIGER-CATS!!

Penalties almost gave it away for us but a gritty solid win and adding Lefevour into the mix as a 1-2 punch at Qb was a great move by Austin a

happy ticat fan :slight_smile:

Great win given the circumstances but didn't you wonder why the Oline and Dline didn't play as well in the fourth quarter? Stupid, stupid penalties (and a couple they got away with) almost killed them. And how do they again let a team march down field with the game on the line? If that field goal had gone through, we'd be calling for heads to roll.
All said, we'll take the 2 points. We've still got a long, long way to go.

As has been pointed many times before on this forum, there are no style points given for a win.

There were many situations in the fourth where they were only rushing three. In general the defensive playcalling probably got a lot more conservative in the fourth

I have a friend at work who is an Arblows fan. He is constantly reminding me of the stats between them and the Cats. Yesterday I reminded him that last year at this time the Cats were in first and the Arblows in last. Remember how last year turned out. :smiley:

There's lots of season to turn around. This can be marked as the beginning.

I saw something last night in the second half that I haven't seen with this inconsisitent Cat's team in a lot of years and that was second half adjustments, outside of that penalty aided 96 yard Edmonton drive the cats had them completely befuddled with their second half adjustments on O and on D.
That was a very well coached game kudos to KA and his coaching staff and hopefully we'll see more of the same going forward..

Penalties last night added to the mix for sure but Edmonton was just as guilty and once again not called, I recall seeing Austin fuming on the sideline over a couple of missed calls against the Edmonton defender but sure enough when it was the Cats defender we get called, Nope the refs stink in this league PERIOD!!

Huge win for a young, mentally fragile team...especially going into the bye week.

As I saying in the post that appears to have gotten stripped out once again, this list seems to have huge number of 'glass half filled' folks. A win whereby one team wins because the other team screws up is not a win at all in my view.

The Ticats improved immensely since their rendezvous with the Riders. The defense played well in the first half rushing a half dozen or so times and really beating up on Reilly. However, apparently Orlando thinks that blitzing is a thing which falls in and out of favor randomly every game so he tossed that idea in the second half and Reilly could read War and Peace back there before throwing the ball. The pass receiving corps were absolutely great and Bakari is on a roll. What a guy! Ditto Ellingson, a real find. NIce to see Sticky back once again. The offensive line did a good job of controlling things as well most of the time. Apparently Mr. Austin was recently struck by a bolt of lightening and just realized that having a running game is a really good thing (finally). All in all, a pretty good effort. Nice to see Webb back but the defensive backs in quite a few cases are not paying attention to the overall play and letting stray receivers get behind them while duplicating coverage in front of themselves, leaving the problem of trying to run back to cover up. Ticats need to fix this soon. Those backs are responsible for the high points against numbers.

My problem is with Burris. He was and is a short term solution to a long term problem. He's unreliable, witness Calgary. That is why he was traded. His stats are padded and misleading this year exactly as last, due several good games and a whole flock of mediocre or bad ones. This issue has been raised more than once on this list. However, being the leading passer in the league this year and last means nothing if the team standings don't reflect it. We need more than that to succeed. Ticats need a QB to spark and lead them. Back in the old days in Calgary Burris was it for a while, maybe, but not today and not here. He'd make a terrific second stringer.

Lefevour is a great little player and should be given more of a chance to grow. Look how well the other 2nd and 3rd stringers did this week when allowed to strut their stuff. Pocket passers are not the answer in this league of huge and incredibly fast linemen. This kind of offensive thinking reminds me of high school football and should be relegated to the dustbin of football history (think Etcheverry/Faloney, the quintessential pocket passers). The QBs have got to be quick on their feet and rollout or scramble when called for (think Collarus/Mitchell/Goltz). I think Austin is afraid to upset Mr. Burris just in case Lefevour doesn't work out. Then what's he got? Well guess what, that's exactly what's going to happen in the future if Ticats don't nurture their backup QBs. Burris, Calvillo and Ricky Ray are QBs in training for retirement so start to ease them out and let these news kids develop, for goodness sakes!! I applaud Ticats for inserting Lefevour with a limited number of plays, how about inserting him for a quarter and then two quarters. PLEASE, lets not have another Quinton Porter. I mean really, just how much can you learn doing quarter back sneaks? Give this new kid a break! Give us all a break!!

It's also amazing to me that the owner has not been all over the scouting crew at Hamilton for allowing an entire defense to be hired that has practically no experience not withstanding injuries. There are lots of good defensive players available. Go get 'em.

Over the past 20 years that I have lived in Alberta, I have been to Commonwealth Stadium to watch the Cats play probably 15 times. Last night is only the 2nd maybe 3rd time I can remember the Cats winning in Edmonton.

First off...we won last night; just in-case you missed the game, and Burris played quite a big role in that.

"My problem is with Burris. He was and is a short term solution to a long term problem"

Thing is, when we brought Burris in last year, everyone thought this team was on the cusp of something great, and Burris was going to be the final piece to push us over the edge. I think Ti-Cat management was more than aware that Burris was on his last legs, but as Burris has proven, he still has something to give to the game. To combat this whole "Burris is sorta old eh?" problem, management brought in a couple of former stud NCAA QBs in Dan LeFevour and Brian Brohm, to develop behind one of the all-time great CFL quarterbacks.

"This issue has been raised more than once on this list. However, being the leading passer in the league this year and last means nothing if the team standings don't reflect it"

Burris would have had to throw for 500yards, 5Tds, 0 Ints every game last season to even have a shot at making the playoffs. To pin the disaster of last season on Burris is crazy.

"I think Austin is afraid to upset Mr. Burris just in case Lefevour doesn't work out. Then what's he got? Well guess what, that's exactly what's going to happen in the future if Ticats don't nurture their backup QBs. "

Or possibly, Burris has proven a whole heck of a lot more than LeFevour has in the CFL, and it makes almost 0 sense to bench a guy coming off a career high season, who is also leading the league in passing yards this season, and also sports a 103 QB rating.

"Burris, Calvillo and Ricky Ray are QBs in training for retirement so start to ease them out and let these news kids develop, for goodness sakes!! " "I mean really, just how much can you learn doing quarter back sneaks? Give this new kid a break! Give us all a break!!"

Yes, playing time is easily the biggest development tool you can use, but there are so many other factors that go into a players development, to say that because LeFevour is sitting on the bench, his development is being stunted is just silly, I can't even imagine all the priceless information and tips that LeFevour has soaked up learning behind a guy like Hank (not to mention having Kent Austin has our head coach as well). The time will come when Ray, Burris, and Calvillo will be all but a memory in CFL lure, but that time is not now.

"I applaud Ticats for inserting Lefevour with a limited number of plays, how about inserting him for a quarter and then two quarters. PLEASE, lets not have another Quinton Porter. I mean really, just how much can you learn doing quarter back sneaks? Give this new kid a break! Give us all a break!!"

Kind of funny, because if we did start giving LeFevour an entire quarter or half to play...we would be in the EXACT same situation we were with Porter...remember when Bellefeuille decided to switch between him and Glenn at the drop of a dime??? Giving Porter a quarter, then Glenn a quarter, then deciding which QB he wanted to finish out the game??? That was fun. How Kent handled LeFevour last game was perfect.

"It's also amazing to me that the owner has not been all over the scouting crew at Hamilton for allowing an entire defense to be hired that has practically no experience not withstanding injuries. There are lots of good defensive players available. Go get 'em."

Just a question, if we had entered the season with the 2nd year guy LeFevour as our starting QB, and Burris was a FA, would you be all over management for allowing this young, inexperienced, unproven QB take the reins of SUPER young and inexperienced team, while a good, proven vet like Burris was still sitting at home? Just a hypothetical.

Look, I said the day we signed LeFevour that he would be the future of our franchise. I am over the moon high on this guy, and believe he can do incredible things in Hamilton for years to come. But let's try and keep it real, this is Burris' team for now, and rushing LeFevour into the starting role could ruin his career here entirely. Let him learn behind Burris, sub in certain situations to mess around with the other defenses gameplans, and when Burris is ready to call it quits (or signs with the RedBlacks...it could happen.), LeFevour will be completely ready to take over the team.

Heavy case of the LeFever going around this boards this past week. But for good reason, the guy looks like he could be a star. All in good time people, Burris is the leader for now.

Excellent post 2ez4,good points made,love your posts!!!always very insightful and knowledgable,your dad must be very proud!!! :wink: :lol: :rockin:

Obviously you missed the play where LeFevour got crushed in the pocket by a frontside blitz he didn't see. Yes he has a bright future, but let him come along slowly instead of throwing him in the deep end.