A Trip Like No Other

A TRIP LIKE NO OTHER

Since 2020 is now officially over, I reflected back from 2019 on how we take things for granted during this “New Normal”. In the future, however long that maybe when be get back to normalcy; I was fortunate enough to have quite a few vacation days banked at work. I usually backload my vacation time to conduct football trips. This is a journey I took from November, 2019 – December, 2019.

Thursday, November 14th, 2019. Thursday Night Football. First Energy Stadium. Cleveland, Ohio. Pittsburgh at Cleveland.

I left Toronto to meet with my friend Paul in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Upon arriving in Niagara Falls, we drove to Cleveland.

At approximately 3:30pm, check into the hotel, grab a quick bite to eat, then head to the bars near the stadium.

Final Score: Cleveland 21. Pittsburgh 7.

That Miles Garrett helmet swinging incident was a surprise to see.

Friday, November 15th, 2019. Canton, Ohio. Visit to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. This was then followed by A Christmas Story House back in Cleveland.
I will do the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame another time.

Saturday, November 16th, 2019. Back in Toronto.

Sunday, November 17th, 2019. CFL East Final. Tim Horton’s Field. Hamilton, Ontario. Edmonton at Hamilton. As an Argonauts fan, I was obviously disappointed in our season. Since Hamilton is about an hour away from Toronto, why not see a playoff game.

Final Score: Hamilton 36. Edmonton 16.

Back in Toronto later that night after staying in Hamilton at a bar to watch the West Final.

Sunday, November 24th, 2019. 107th Grey Cup. McMahon Stadium Calgary, Alberta.

Final Score: Winnipeg 33. Hamilton 12.

Departed Wednesday, November 20th, 2019 to Calgary, and arrived back on Monday, November 25th, 2019.

Thursday, November 28th, 2019. American Thanksgiving. Ford Field. Detroit, Michigan. Chicago at Detroit.

Had to cancel that game. Did not attend. A friend of mine had a family emergency. As a Bears fan it would have been a good one to see. Sometimes you have to hit the pause button when you are having too much fun.

Final Score: Chicago 24. Detroit 20.

Thursday, December 5th, 2019. Soldier Field. Chicago, Illinois. Dallas at Chicago.

Final Score: Chicago 31. Dallas 24.

Flew out on Thursday, December 5th,2019, arrived back in Toronto on Sunday, December 8th, 2019 during halftime of the 1pm EST Games.

That took a lot of energy out of me. I’d do it all over again in a heartbeat.

2 Likes

Wow - sounds like a great time.
It seems like forever since we had freedom to travel anywhere and sit in a crowd, go into a public place without a mask, shake hands, go on a cruise.

Hello atlanticfan,

There will be a time when this is all over. It will just take a couple of years. I'd say max 2024 for the beginning of a full economy work force to be back to the "usual normal"

Was at the Grey Cup in Hamilton in 96. Guy sitting a couple of rows in front of me was going to the Bears/Packers game at Soldier field a week later.