A statement from the CFL regarding the XFL

TORONTO — The Canadian Football League (CFL) released the following statement on Wednesday:

“Our talks with the XFL, exploring the potential for collaboration and innovation, have been positive and constructive.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2021/07/07/statement-cfl-regarding-xfl/
1 Like

Positive news
I think it's dead

2 Likes

This is earlier than the Oct. 15 date I had predicted, but good news nonetheless. It was obvious that there were too many issues that they would have had to resolve. And likely no lucrative TV contract on the horizon.

Let the XFL go down on its own without the CFL as the collateral victim.

4 Likes

Good, on to CFL in 2021!

“Our talks with the XFL, exploring the potential for collaboration and innovation, have been positive and constructive.

While we remain open to finding new ways to work together in the future, we and our XFL counterparts have jointly decided to not pursue any formal arrangements at this time.

We at the CFL are now squarely focused on preparing for August 5th and the start of our 2021 regular season, which will culminate December 12 with the playing of the 108th Grey Cup in Hamilton, Ontario.

We are looking forward to this year and a bright future for our league.”

2 Likes

Good thing.

1 Like

Yes it appears to me that there wasn't enough of a financial incentive for a full merger or an umbrella organization to be created.

So no major rule changes to occur and it's time for the 9 owners to work on a new business plan among themselves.

4 Likes

Great news!
We don't need a failing league to grab on to us and drag us down!

3 Likes

If it happens its gotta play under Canadian rules. Plus watching Canadian rules is more funner then nfl

3 Likes

The CFL says partnership talks with the XFL have been jointly halted.

In March, the CFL and XFL announced they were poised to begin serious talks about a potential partnership.

Neither side said who initiated talks first, only that they'd agreed to collaborating on ways to grow football.

"Our talks with the XFL, exploring the potential for collaboration and innovation, have been positive and constructive," CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie said in a statement Wednesday. "While we remain open to finding new ways to work together in the future, we and our XFL counterparts have jointly decided to not pursue any formal arrangements at this time.

"We at the CFL are now squarely focused on preparing for August 5th and the start of our 2021 regular season, which will culminate Dec. 12 with the playing of the 108th Grey Cup in Hamilton. We are looking forward to this year and a bright future for our league."

1 Like

Typical narrow minded vision the CFL has and always has had that's why it's in the trouble it is in now. If the CFL thinks that single game betting is the answer they are mistaken. With no new fans and an aging fan base this league is doomed. The XFL would have generated the much needed younger demographic. The league will die along with its aging fanbase.

Never going to happen,

So let me be the first to say

I SAID IT FIRST
THEY ARE NOT GOING TO MERGE

1 Like

I'm very glad to hear this. I was actually planning not to subscribe to TSN Direct for the season as I was thinking, why bother? if they're not going to be the CFL next season (or the season after) and all the things I like about it ie Canadian, Canadian rules, three downs etc. My thoughts were, better to get it over with and move on now, as opposed to staying two years and then being disappointed.

The CFL can be successful without the XFL. Now, they just need to do the hard work.

4 Likes

They are partying LMAO!

It seems likely the USFL - XFL merger is far more likely at this point
And CFL USA expansion is totally dead for time being

1 Like

You didn't say it first, a lot of us understood a square peg would not fit in a round hole but ok... LMAO

Is there a viable market for Spring football? I don't think so. For it to have a fighting chance they would need a 3 to 5 year big money TV contract and after many months, they obviously could not find a taker.

Dave "The Insider" Naylor should be forced into exile.

Aww man, I was really looking forward to a merger providing us with a Renegades team with a losing record. It would be just like the good ol' days. And the Los Angeles Wildcats could have merged with the Hamilton Tigercats to become the Hamilton Wild Tigercatscats of Los Angeles.

Opportunities lost.

1 Like

I agree the CFL lost a huge opportunity here and so typical of this league and that's why it's dying. The CFL is dead.

1 Like

A side of me wanted a merger/partnership to happen. 9 teams after 50 years gets a bit stale.

I'd still like to see cooperation between the two leagues. Maybe an all-star game, interleague exhibition games, etc.

It's interesting how the XFL is talking about "international spring football." Makes me wonder if there will be an XFL team in Toronto.

5 Likes

Had the USFL stuck to the original plan, ESPN/ABC were willing to pay the equivalent of $100 million in todays money, for the USFL to continue playing in the Spring of 1986. Of course they declined, and the rest is history. While spring football hasn't quite caught on, let's take a look at what happened in the past. The WFL of the 70's was actually a summer-fall league and played the same time as the NFL, hence not spring football. The USFL could have survived longer, and did have a lucrative television contract, but greed and a few owners decided to take on the NFL and failed. The WLAF/NFLE was a half hearted attempt by the NFL to avoid anti-trust suits so they created a league that was just sort of there. Not really a developmental league, and with half-a$$ marketing it was doomed to fail. The Arena League had a modicum of success, and ultimately played 30+ seasons. However, awarding franchises to aging rockers, getting rid of the ironman rules, and trying to be a mini-NFL spelled their doom. The UFL and FXFL both fall leagues, which don't need to be mentioned. The AAF was an underfunded rush job and we'll never know how the XFL 2.0 would've played out.

4 Likes