A Short Lifespan For CFL Players

Chris Benoit the WWE superstar suffered dramatic changes, because of brain damage, in his personality with the result that he killed his wife, his 7 year old son and killed himself. He was in the age of the middle fiftees at the time. His brain was given to reseachers for study who noted that this repeated injury, over time, can result in personality change, early dementia and death.

Cfl players who have been also subject to many concussions, with grave results, are prone to the same symptoms . Mike Webster {NFL} died at age 50. He lived in torment, prior to his death, with depression, divorce and addictions stemming from his football injuries. Three linemen from the EE [ York Hentshel, David Boone and Bill Stevenson ] were such victims with early deaths due to sustained conncussions. Bill Stevenson, as an example, had a horrible post CFL life with personal, business failures, alcoholism, cognitive and memory problems and, ending his life in a homeless shelter at the age of 55. Repeated concussions over time can result in a person of 55 having the brain of an 85 year old man. Dementia [ hearing voices, delusiomal thinking, irrational cognitions etc.] are the symptoms of such conditions,

A McGill study found that 4 out of 5 football players do not report concussions and, continue to play football possibly leaving themselves open to this sustained injury. To those players who have lengthy football careers their lifespan could consist of 55 years- lineman 52 years. The study found that the players often minimize, or deny, their mental symptoms. Dan Kepley noted that players love the game to such a degree that they will play with injury despite the risk. The CFL Commissioner is aware of these statistics and, noted that the CFL is attempting to combat this risk with better football helmets and, penalizing players who use their helmets as a weapon. I have noted this year to date that penalties are given to defensive players who have destructive potential play- an example is the penalty for tackling the QB below the knees or above the shoulders.

This material can be found on cbc.ca/thefifthestate .I missed the last half of the Toronto-Calgary game to view this program. The Fifth Estate will be repeated sometime next week. AS a father I am glad my sons are not football players.

it's all in the way they played the game.

there are many many players who never have problems with injuries or brain issues.

Kepley was nuts anyways, which is why he had so many concussions.

but there are many players out there who have no issues at all.

I played 8 years of football and not 1 head injury. just a shoulder problem.

But there are a lot of players who have suffered numerous concussions. And often these are the types of people who are so competitive that they refuse to admit they are having problems, or perhaps return from injuries too soon.

I'm thinking of guys like Matt Dunigan, who would deliver a hit rather than take one. You admire his toughness in the way he played, and his tenacity in not wanting to sit out. But at the same time you know that he's not doing himself any favours in the long run. Dave Dickenson is another who probably suffered more concussions than he should have before hanging them up.

Though it's probably unlikely that their cases will result in the extreme situations mentioned above, it's quite possible that there will be some effect on their lives in the future.