A rekindling of the 1 vs 2 divisions debate

Because … you want to grow the game?

The league already has those markets. They want new fans. Where do you think those new fans are going to come from? From population density, it will be from the East, not the West.

And again, on a purely pragmatic level, catering to the West will never happen.

You think the NFL wants to grow its game in Green Bay? They worked their tail off for years to get a franchise in LA, a huge untapped market.

7 Likes

We are not talking about what is good for some teams, we are talking about what is good for the CFL

3 Likes

I have yet to see anyone explain why making it harder on the East to play in the Grey Cup would benefit the league in a tangible way.

5 Likes

I don’t see what that has to do with how many divisions there are or which division is stronger or weaker

1 Like

It doesn’t have ANYTHING to do with how many divisions there are.
The main topic was bias for or against the “other” division. I just threw in the no divisions idea to see how committed East division partisans would be to a system which is biased towards NEITHER East nor West.

Except there really is no bias…either way…well the crossover is biased towards the west, but the east has learned to live with it

1 Like

How do you figure?
In many ways the NFL is worse for those advocating a single division design

32 teams sure but 8 divisions with 4 teams in each, and division winners profiting heavily from a very unbalanced schedule (teams with worse records having home field advantage + playing multiple games vs a weak division rival inflating win totals)

Not to mention the bizarre geography names where half the teams appear to be in wrong divisions and worse local rivals can go a season without even playing each other (can you imagine Argos not getting a game vs Cats or no battle of Alberta?)

2 Likes

Yup and the cities we hear most often are somewhere in Atlantic, somewhere in Quebec, and even somewhere in Ontario

There has never been a credible expansion possibility west of Ontario

2 Likes

Gimme an update, did we figure this one out yet?

1 Like

Nope. The problem clearly needs more alcohol for a solution to present itself.

2 Likes

The CFL is sixty-five years old, and Canadian football is well over a century old. Eastern Canadians have had all that time to support Canadian football and the current situation East of Manitoba is pretty bleak. Just exactly what do Eastern Canadians need in order get interested in, and support Canadian football to the level that Westerners do?
My suggestion would be to quit complaining , establish a fifth team East of Thunder Bay, build bigger stadiums and fill them.

2 Likes

AGAIN I fail to see what this has to do with the topic?

2 Likes

Never is a long time. I could see one being credible 50 to 200 years from now.

2 Likes

Right on!! The GC has always been about "territory ". The Western out lying teams against the established Eastern overlords. Sports is a way to thumb our Western noses at the arrogant Easterners. Otherwise, it is a boring inbred, inconsequential contest.

4 Likes

Edmonton is good with Tre and MBT

1 Like

DOES IT MATTER???

1 Like

I would also like source.

1 Like

This is a great argument for a the status quo.

Beyond the sporting analyses at hand, from an entertainment and ratings perspective just as you cite TV interests, it is in the interest of a geographically-dispersed league with only a certain number of teams to capture as much of a national audience as possible in a championship game.

Beyond tradition, I feel the entertainment factors are what will continue to maintain the status quo, even though from a sporting perspective I would prefer a single division.

2 Likes

Your one-line “need source” doesn’t suggest good faith. Nor does necroing a thread from months ago just to argue. I’m not wasting my time.

4 Likes

One division means some teams will be out of playoffs early, that will kill ticket sales. Imo.

8 Likes