A question

I'm sure that my question has been answered in one of the many pages of posts. I am too lazy to go through them all to find my answer.

My question is since CP has signed for three years when does the three years begin? Is it the balance of this year and the next two? Is it the balance of this year and the next three?

Help please.

My understanding it starts the balance this year since he begins his contractually-covered tenure with the team Saturday.

As for the additional year issue, I'm not sure precisely how it works -- whether it is a Printers/ team / mutual option trigger. From the story I heard from Sportsnet I believe, it could be a four-year deal approaching $2 million CDN if it goes to its maximum.

If someone has more concrete information, please provide it.

Oski Wee Wee,

Thanks Oski oui oui

Hamilton Tiger-Cats sign free-agent QB Printers to deal through 2010 season
06/09/2007 11:13:00 PM
Printer-friendly page

HAMILTON (CP) - The Hamilton Tiger-Cats won the Casey Printers sweepstakes, but it didn't come cheaply.

[b]Hamilton Tiger-Cats sign free-agent QB Printers to deal through 2010 season

Hamilton signed Printers to a deal through the 2009 season, with an option for 2010.[/b] Ticats' general manager Marcel Desjardins said the contract doesn't make Printers the CFL's highest paid player on average - that honour belongs to Edmonton quarterback Ricky Ray at $460,000 - but a big reason why Printers signed with Hamilton was the club's ability to front-load the agreement.

Desjardins wouldn't provide financial details, but a league source said Printers received a guaranteed $250,000 signing bonus and that his deal was worth about $1.6 million in total.

"I don't know if I'm the highest paid," Printers said during a news conference at the Ticats' business office. "I'll be well compensated.

"All I do know is I'm happy, and that's what matters."

The Ticats were able to front-load the deal - and thus blow all other suitors out of the water - because Desjardins had the club significantly under the CFL's $4.05-million salary cap. That left him the flexibility to pursue NFL cuts or be in a position to sign present players to contract extensions before the Grey Cup and thus free up money for next year.

"So, really, we're a year ahead of ourselves," Desjardins said. "But this is obviously a huge signing for us.

[url=http://news.sympatico.msn.ca/Hamilton+TigerCats+sign+freeagent+QB+Printers+to+deal+through+2010+season/Sports/ContentPosting.aspx?isfa=1&newsitemid=38976025&feedname=CP-SPORTS-FOOTBALL&show=False&number=0&showbyline=False&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc]http://news.sympatico.msn.ca/Hamilton+T ... t=&abc=abc[/url]

So, Casey could go back to the NFL in 2010 under the current CFL-NFL agreement.

The option year would be the fourth year I indicated if I read this right.

Oski Wee Wee,

Thanks again that clarifies it for me.