A Question for my American friends

I don't see it as a huge deal. I'm sure the NCAA does not because a lot of schools miss out, but because they make more money the more teams play.

I think if they did in fact go to a system like this, you'd just be eliminating the mediocre teams that really have no business being in a bowl game anyways.

Of course playoffs would work!! It works in every other league or sport...amateur or professional...

The way it's set up now it's more like "fantasy college football" it doesn't seem to matter how you play or what your record is, #1 is decided by a bunch of coaches(ex-players) or writers(never played). Where is the logic in that?

Well there is none obviously! All that is needed is a system similar to that of March Madness and the nation will have a TRUE #1. But....that will never happen.

Good post geo! Exactly my thoughts!

Number 1 and number 2 do play off now, and 20 years ago, we were told that would never work either.
A play-off system would greatly impact the significance of the Bowl games, and while the history of those games is important, let's be clear we are really talking money here, or else explain why most of these bowl games have soldout to corporate entities (can you say Tostito Bowl?).

The trick will be to find a system that can accomodate the history and prestige of bowl games like the Rose Bowl or Orange Bowl and still crown a true champion.
The obvious next step is to move to a 4 team tournament and see how that goes.
Baby steps. And once the TV money starts rolling in, baby will suddenly be able to run, not crawl....

There's too much money to be made with the current system the NCAA has in place for I-FBS (formerly I-A).
NCAA I-FCS (formerly I-AA), II and III have playoffs to determine a national champion.

i think with a playoff system this year Oklahoma could have done some damage. I say take your top 6 teams, 1 and 2 get a buy, 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5, winners advance, so on and so forth. Or maybe take your top 5 and a host city

THE SONNERS COULDNT BEAT WEST VIRGINIA I'M A FAN OF THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY AND WE LOST TOO LSU THE TOP 12 TEAMS COULD BEAT EACH OTHER ON ANY GIVEN DAY....I DONT SUPPORT A PLAYOFF ITS MORE ABOUT MONEY THAN EDUCATION EVEN THOUGH NCAA FOOTBALL IS THE BEST FOOTBALL THERE IS GO BUCKS www.bucknuts.com FOR EVERYTHANG BUCKEYE.... AND www.ohiopreps.com <<<<FOR THE BEST IN HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS FROM THE HEARTLAND OF AMERICA APPLE PIE,GOD,BEER AND CHEVY TRUCKS!!!!!! OHIO THE HEART OF IT ALL BABY!!!!!