A Question about "Play under review"

One example (in this case of a penalty being nullified by a replay reversal) would be on a pass interference call, where the coach could challenge that the ball was tipped, which would make the interference legal, and thus cancel the penalty.

Or an illegal block is called on the way to the end zone. The coach challenges that the ball carrier stepped out of bounds early in the run. Challenge upheld, so the run never happened, and therefore the illegal block penalty couldn’t have been called.

No. If I read the excerpts from the rule book I posted yesterday only a major foul causing a turnover can be called by the command centre when reviewing the Banks fumble play.

So for example in the Banks fumble case if they are reviewing a fumble and they see that Cox was within 5 yards and it was not called on the field - they can’t call it because it is not a ‘major foul that caused the turnover’.

If Cox had grabbed Banks facemask - and that penalty had not been called on the play - and Banks fumbled as his facemask was being grabbed - they then could have called the facemask penalty because it was a ‘major foul that caused the turnover’.

I think what the rulebook means is the following...

Player A fumbles the ball and is called down by contact - Coach challenges play and upon review it is noted that the ball DID come loose before the knee hit, however Player B that caused the fumble grabbed the facemask (or kicked him in the helmet..whatever). The official can determine that the penalty not called is what called the fumble.

In the Shakir Bell play the broadcast DID say that a facemask could be called but it was unclear whether he grasped the facemask or simply brushed it but didn't grab.

In the banks example the turnover was not caused by a missed penalty. The result of the missed call was a turnover, but the player being inside of 5 yards is not the reason Banks fumbled.

Having said that, No yards should absolutely be a reviewable call. Its not a judgement call, its 5 yards, period. CFL needs to get this one right. There is no logical or justifiable reason not to make no yards a reviewable call since its obvious when you slow it down. The head coach only gets 2 reviews (or 3) so why limit what he can challenge?

If the opposing player is outside the 5 yards, perhaps Banks has a better chance of recovering his fumble, just sayin.

Or perhaps, the player within the 5 yards was enough to distract Banks leading to the fumble.

Cocks made it look like he was gonna paste Speedy up until the last second.
Then makes as if he is trying to get out of the zone. Sell job.
An effective strategy when you have a cheap shot artist like cocks.
Cocks was 40% into the no-yards zone FFS.
Should have been no-yards, Hamilton accepts penalty, kick again.
I seem to me we have a bunch of refs who apply the blind eye and even it up that is hockey.
The CFL refs are either inept, biased, bought or a combination of any.
Bring in USA refs. They are better.

Oh yeah. The US refs that the NFL tried to get away with using when their officials were locked out worked out really well for that league didn't it. Let's call them up to work CFL games. :roll:

The refs miss the odd call but generally they get the calls right. So yes they missed that No Yards. But most of the flags we are seeing them throw in big numbers this year are because they are getting the calls right - and the players are screwing up WAY too often.

The performance of Riders players today for example was pathetic. A ton of errors. Way more than the refs are making.

Thanks for the correction - you obviously know the rule book much better than I do! :smiley:

Now Tom Higgins, when he was Director of Officiating, used to occasionally issue comment on how penalties were called. Now that he’s free again :slight_smile: … anybody got his number?

A bit of an aside - but does anyone else think the CFL looks bush-league when it's on-line Rule Book dates from 2013?