A Pete for a new age

While the soon to retire Pigskin Pete did a terrific job, and deserves tons of honour and respect, I've been mulling over the question of whether, and how, to replace him. We've had the superfan, get the crowd into it type of Pete for decades - maybe it's time to update Pete to appeal to a different type of fan.

Keep the costume the same (some traditions shouldn't be messed with), but...

... get a boorish Pete that sits behind the Ticat bench and taunts the Cats when they're having a bad year, or sits behind the opponents bench and taunts them when the Cats are having a good season...

...or a passive agressive Pete that seethes with anger about the loud music, the commercials on the video board and fans that stand up/socialize/cheer instead of focusing on the game...

...or a disgusted Pete that throws off his bowler hat and makes a big show of leaving mid-third quarter of every home loss, threatening not to come back until the team starts winning...

...or a social butterfly Pete that sit totally engrossed in his own conversation, hardly noticing that he's at a football game unless there's a touchdown, interception or fight in the stands to stand up and clap for/look at.

With so many different types of fans to cater to, I was just thinking was all... :wink:

I just cant imagin anyone else being pigskin pete- thats why i voted no on the poll, maybe there shouldnt be a new pete- imo

Great open post. Very entertaining!imo
We need a new guy,
Advert Andy
Guide the crowd through every scoreboard and PA advertisement, encouraging swift and jovial approval.
Be wireless linked to the scoreboard and PA to automatically head to the field to lead an obediant Ticat faithful through their favorite jingle “fight songs”.
To automatically dance onto the field to demonstrate how a 8$ beer is best enjoyed quickly and often while responsibly, to co-incide with the Why Are You So Quite chant that we as faithful have come to adore through years of extreme bad timing. To be the first to point out unruly fans and phone security, regarding their use of offensive outburst as Hold that Line or the ever annoying Block that Kick, as those who use the Forbidden chant will have long been banished. To enjoy a piece of Pizza halfa Pieca on the scoreboard everytime we score on our favorite offensive play - the special team safety. To ensure nobody goes Oskee Wee wee without picking up a refill on the way up.
The days of manual cheering are coming to an end. Welcome to the Age of Programming.
11010011 GO CATS GO

Theres got to be a new Pete. It's tradition! It's not as if this is the only Pete we've ever had. The current one is the 3rd? one.

The new Pigskin Pete: B.A. Johnston!

http://www.justfriends.ca/ba/2.jpg

http://www.justfriends.ca/ba/8.jpg

Pigskin Patricia

Blonde hair, blue eyes, long legs in a mini, shapely, toned, athletic, ...

Definately something to look at when the on field product is less than inspiring.

Cheers
DVD
The Bassman

8)
Pigskin Patricia

Blonde hair, blue eyes, long legs in a mini, shapely, toned, athletic, ...

Definately something to look at when the on field product is less than inspiring.

Cheers
DVD
The Bassman

Sounds like this guy will look great after his sex change operation!

No more Girls...We need a hot Pigskin Pete for the girls to look at while the players have their helmets on :smiley:

Typical Mother, always wants some hot guy to take off his hat and dance in front of her. :stuck_out_tongue: I think the next Pete should be in a season ticket holder for years, somebody who always goes to the games, and somebody with a lot of enthusiasm. It doesn't matter who in general. They just have to remind me of Radio..err Pigskin Pete (lol JaG)

Unless Will the Thrill takes up the mantle there can be no real replacement. Mascots or cheeleaders like Pete's ilk in this day and age are relics of an by gone era.
Let it go like the old ticat marching band and the Sea Cadet cannon.
The most fitting tribute to Paul and his predecessor would be to have no replacement and let the name Pigskin Pete live on in memory and not some silly young goof in a cheap felt bowler who doesnt really get it trying way too hard in an oskee wee wee.

That's not true :smiley: I think it's going to be a big adjustment no matter who it is. Good luck to whoever is chosen, you have some big shoes to fill.

Just another thing for The Hamilton Tiger-Cats, to screw up :roll:

You know, if there were a 20 year old "Pete", I'm sure s/he would do their best for filling his shoes.

Why not have a hot couple as both Borehamgirl and Catfan4life were sorta suggesting?

After thinking, not too hot.... the drunk fans would be offering them five dollar bills to remove more than the bowler hats.

I think I might agree with that - when teams update these quaint old traditions for the new fan, they can go very very wrong…

Maybe we should turn back the clock, and call ourselves the Alerts again.

[I think I might agree with that - when teams update these quaint old traditions for the new fan, they can go very very wrong...]

If they pick the right person I think it would be great to carry on with pigskin pete.

Is that an argument for or against replacing Pete - cause it works as an argument either way.

It sure is... but I was replying to the person who said that we shouldn't change traditions.

Traditions can, and should change, just not radically, and as slowly as possible.

I've already stated my opinions, while being a little funny about it. No reason why we can't have a couple as the Pigskin People (get a better name!:)) As well, there's nothing wrong with youngins taking over traditions. I'd rather have a younger person doing a vigorous job than an old person who has a good chance of breaking a bone or having a coronary and scaring the hooha out of the rest of the fans.

Just my three cents (gotta include inflation, which is another tradition, is it not?)