A nickname spelling primer re our new GM (Vol. 1)

After months of "Taff," "Taaafee," "Taaaaaaaaaaaf," "Ta! FFFFFFFF," etc, ticats.ca members finally mastered "TAAFFE" in sufficient numbers for the mass confusion to cease re discussion of our head coach.

As a public service, I've provided this spelling guide re Bob O'Billovich's nickname to help head off more months of pigskin pidgeon Esperanto on these boards.

1. Exhibit 1 -- "Obie" -- O-B-I-E

http://www.bclions.com/static/modules/uploader/staff/05_bcl_bcl_person_bob_b.jpg

[b]

Need I say more? No! LMAO

DING! DING! DING! There's the man! We're on the same page!

Okay?[/b]

1. Exhibit 2 - "Obee"

Googling this, I found this disturbing graphic:

http://media.pegasusnews.com/img/photos/2007/08/03/borgesalad_t250.jpg

I also caught myself humming "Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da" when I read the first "Obee" here. Ugh. LOL

And YES, I am a Beatles fan!

1. Exhibit 3 -- "Obi"

Now The Force may be a proven telekinetic juggernaut across the galaxies of George Lucas, but it's a lot of florescent light rod waving nonsense in the world of football operations! Wrong guy!

NOTE: BEN AT HIS DRAMATIC PEAK IN STAR WARS (IN THE ALEC GUINNESS FORMAT) WAS A HELL OF A LOT OLDER THAN 67! :wink:

1. Exhibit 4 - "OB" or "O.B."

This may be effective and discreet, but it's the WRONG SUBJECT MATTER ENTIRELY! NO!

An ob is two-thirds of a gob where I come from. So don't be impolite, okay?? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

So: Obie it is. It also recalls the fine running back of the 1980s, one Obie Graves, who tore it up with Tom Clements and co. in the early 80s!

This has been another public service of lil ol' me. LOL :wink:

Oski Wee Wee,

LOL! Thanks for clearing that up!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eventually, I'll get up off the floor :lol:

Russ man I have to give you Props man
Funny Stuff… :smiley:

Make sure this gets to the crew making the Media Guide so they don't make a mess of names like they did last year. ie Timmy Chang

Way to Go Russ! :thup: :thup:

You have WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS :wink:

And...you may have missed your calling! :lol:

Taph Talf

LOL

I was off work on Wednesday (no classes). :wink:

Something had to be done! Four letters can only be misused so much. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Oski Wee Wee for Obie,

He won't answer to Obi, only Obie. :slight_smile:

An Argo-Cat fan

And also please note ....

It's Bob O'Billovich.

Not Bill Ohbobavitch as was noted in some print media in the late seventies and early eighties

Anyone else remember Dick Beddoes on CH in the 1980s when Bob was coaching the Argos? For whatever reason he always liked to misplace the syllable and call him "Obie O'Bill-O-vich". (IMHO, the full last name becomes redundant when you've already used the "Obie".)

Good work Russ. We could have used a similar primer when Jason Moss (Mass?) first arrived.

Dick Bed Clothes... Remember him and his fedora well.

More on the Obie name. His family adoped the O-apostrophe-Billovich to Westernize his European sounding name when his clan immigrated. Obie gave Pinball his nickname and Pinball reciprocated by calling his coach Obie.

An Argo-Cat fan

Russ:
I think exhibit #2 has a stricking resemblance to Mike O'Shea. His that a ballerina's tutu he's wearing?

Anyway, I plan to stick with "Obie," although I love the monicker of Ohbobavitch as well.

Dick Bedpe's as I remember had a penchant for screwing up names and lots of things, but from an entertainment standpoint, I couldn't get enough of him.

Great post!

Update: it looks like the members of ticats.ca have adopted "Obie" as our GM's proper monicker in reasonable numbers. We must remain vigilant, otherwise we may find references to "Ewan" or "Alec" if people follow the "Obi" route! :smiley: :wink:

Oski Wee Wee,