A Montreal Fan gives thanks to the Tiger-Cats!!

eff printers. sure the team has was on wasnt greeat but he was outplayed by his backups and seemed lost and out of shape.
at least maas tried.

re: justafan

Sure, knock yourself out with all the imaginary scenarios.

As previously stated with the things known today its all just "what if" fan talk- a purely academic discussion and not a linear argument.

Why revisit old history? Did you guys make a mistake giving up on Calvillo? Tough to say from an outside point of view. Maybe, maybe not. The fact that you won two championships with McManus later on really should make the discussion moot. It's not like after spurning AC, you went 0-18 for five straight seasons.

How was it mistake in letting Cavillo go at the time? We did get a great QB in McManus.

Also, I dont think were going to let the next one get away. He`s here. Kevin Glenn :smiley:

After being released AC served as Tracy Hams backup in Montreal as we all know, why couldnt he have been here second to McManus, had he been, Id go out on a limb and say AC would have become our starter again in 2002 if not sooner.

And exactly, dont let the next one get away. :wink:

Thats a tough call. I believe that Cavillo wouldnt have wanted a back up role to McManus, who knows though? but in 2000 and 2001. The Cats still had good teams and made the playoffs in both years. 11-7 in 2001. I don`t think Cavillo would have made a difference over McManus.

We agree on Glenn :thup:

The rize and fall of the McManus lead TiCats happened at the same time AC was slowly replacing Ham, so it may be safe to assume the same could have happened here, but hey we’ll never know.

We agree ??? Where did you read that huh :lol:

I guess we don`t agree on Glenn, misconceived your earlier post. :lol: Glenn being 30 has a chance to become a great one like Cavillo.

Glenns already a great QB and seems to be a great person, with lots to teach the next one. Most dont see it this way but this season was letter perfect in leading us into the future. I never once imagined winning the Grey Cup with either Porter or Glenn at the helm.

MB and Obie did a great job allowing Porter playing time and counting on the veteran replacement when required. Just as it was scripted from the moment Glenn was signed.

May the best QB earn the job come training camp.

Had the entire league given up on AC after a few fumbles like Hamilton did, we’d never have been lucky enough to watch him set records along the way to possibley becoming the all time best.

Iam more then willing to give Porter more time, his skills speak for themselves once he learnes to protect the football.
Please dont jump all over my opinion, its mine and only mine. Thanks

It must be winter in Hades because I agree completely with Zontar.

There are a lot of internal and external factors that influence how a player can be a boom or bust in a particular team. Maybe it is the city, maybe the coaches, maybe his teammates, maybe the fans. Maybe it is because he met and married Alexia in Montreal. Who knows? However, thinking that he would be a star as he is now should he stayed in Hamilton is really a silly conjecture.

That someone was me, borehamgirl. I wish I had copied that article.

Yes, Ron Lancaster called all his new players right after he became coach
to touch base and Anthony told him he didn’t want to stay in Hamilton

Even if some people had read that story imo, most of them
would still be adamant that Cavillo didn’t ask out of here.

P.S.

Here is a recent article that speaks of A.C.'s confidence at the time.

Apparently, he even turned down a starting QB job with the Riders

Alouettes’ Calvillo came out of nowhere

Sean Fitz-Ferald, National Post Saturday, November 28, 2009

http://www.nationalpost.com/story.html?id=2277926
Calvillo landed in Hamilton after Las Vegas.

He was young and inexperienced, and not a good fit for the Tiger-Cats at the time.

He never completed more than 60% of his passes

• unless interceptions counted as completions,
    because he seemed to throw plenty of those.

Fans grew impatient. Management grew weary,

and after a 2-16, last-place finish
in 1997, the Ticats released Calvillo.

"It’s one of those deep memories that you just kind of block in the back of your head,

like a bad childhood memory that you don’t want to deal with," Calvillo said with a smile.

He could have signed with Saskatchewan and become a starter,

but chose to sign with the Alouettes because
they already had a starting quarterback, Tracy Ham.

Calvillo has said that if he had signed and failed
in Regina, his career would likely have ended.

“His confidence went down to nothing,” former Alouettes lineman Pierre Vercheval said.

“He was just trying to keep his career alive, basically.”

Calvillo studied under Ham.

He changed his preparation, altered his study habits and was soon known for

being the first player into work in the morning,
and the last man out at the end of the night.

If somebody had never heard of A.C. before, and only read this story about him
in my opinion, they would guess that it was him who asked to leave Hamilton.

If they then got to see him on film, they would say
that it was very, very obvious he needed a new start.

The last time I saw AC in a TiCat uniform he was young with lots of talent and a wicked arm, but he couldn't hold a candle to that legend Leadbedder who would hold the backup to Mac for many years. :lol:

It took real maturity on AC's part to opt for a backup position in Montreal, where he could learn under Tracy Ham and get his game on track. I was always impressed by that decision. Not only is AC a talented player, he's a wise person. The Als are very fortunate to have him.

I wonder if this Montreal Fan is equally as thankful for Marcel Desjardins?

Marcel has done fine as an assistant in Jim Popp’s organization. I know he had troubles in Hamilton as GM, but he was taking over a moribund franchise and was fired after just one year.