A Monday night game?

Anyone know why they are playing on a Monday night?

1 Like

I think to explore an interest for MNF for ESPN+ and for Gambling aspects with Bet Regal partnership

4 Likes

To stick it to the NFL!!! Huzzah!

1 Like

They are mad at some of our more challenging and critical comments lately here on the CFL Forum, and so they went ahead and picked Monday instead of Sunday just to annoy us somewhat right now.

1 Like

It's not a secret and you know the answer -- 4th of July.

Should be played in the States with fireworks afterwards

3 Likes

Since Toronto wants to be the 51st state of course they'd host a 4th of July game.

2 Likes

I wondered the same thing. The only thing I can think of is July 4.

1 Like

Because it's the 4th of July and Toronto is an American city, silly. :wink:

3 Likes

:roll_eyes:

Ya that's it :crazy_face:

Just wondering , but do they let you set off fireworks inside a Home Depot in the States ? I'm sure that must be one of your amendments ...right ? :us: :clown_face:

2 Likes

That’s really odd, because the cfl is basically a Saturday , Sunday league. Maybe someone got the date wrong over there in the eastern city of de ‘ Argo. Maybe is a plot to cover for the leafs continuing misfortunes in the nhl.

1 Like

The Mouse that Roared? Excellent.... and probably what they are thinking. It's the only football on.....

1 Like

All joking aside, the issue is obviously Toronto FC playing on Saturday night. There was probably no other day this weekend if the Argos wanted to play at home. Ideally, they should have played on the road or given a bye this week.

I seriously doubt the game was for American viewers since the ESPN linear channels instead selected the following for that timeslot.

ESPN2
AKC Diving Dogs Premier Cup
USL Championship

ESPNews
Spikeball Co-Ed Summer Series
Teqball: San Diego
USA Teqball Tour: Los Angeles
American Cornhole League Doubles Finals

2 Likes

That last is the big question for me--why did the Argos have to have a home game this week if there was a scheduling conflict?

2 Likes

At first I thought maybe it's the whole 'Monday Night Football' thing that might cause Americans to tune in to see some football... any football. But then I'm hearing that it's not going to easily viewed south of the border so now I'm not sure. Maybe it's a ploy to get Torontonians to tune into a home grown product in a time slot that's usually occupied by NFL teams.

Or maybe the league's trying to give the Lions a break by having the Bombers play them after only four days rest.

I had asked this question on another thread and someone else (maybe you) provided a similar response about soccer being the culprit. I can’t see it having anything to do with the US.

I see this as another example of ineptitude by the league head office. Not only will they miss out on ratings and fans by not having the game on Saturday or Sunday, but the Bombers unnecessarily have a very short week that allows for only one day of practice. I can see scheduling gaps like that being necessary in a Covid shortened season, but not in a regular season.

3 Likes

And cheap beer !

1 Like

I'm more of a wine drinker than beer

1 Like

Have you or anyone you know seen those 'drone fireworks' in action? I've only seen them on TV. They're starting to approach jaw dropping territory.

Is drone fireworks a euphemism for using drones to take out military threats?

1 Like