A letter from Commissioner Randy Ambrosie to CFL fans, players

Call it the Brandon Bridge rule. If I am right the rule of the day eliminated the QB position from the ratio in such a way that if Bridge were to start he would not be counted as a National discounting any reason to roster a Canadian QB other than his / her ability.

1 Like

They learned that from the CRTC. Once you are popular or highly skilled you can’t be Canadian anymore…

Sadly the highlights from Randy's Rants are heavily redacted. Both sides if they were to able agree should publicly table their perposal in full, otherwise not at all.

IMO, no games will be cancelled. From the start of a 10 year no increases to what we see now is a great improvement, some work still to come.
The league, TSN, owners, players all understand a single lost game will have collateral damage from the fan base that may take years to recover from they all want this to happen. It will happen. Without any regular and preseason games cancelled.

5 Likes

I agree with you here. Following @carlos_harper explanation above of the “Brandon Bridge” rule, previously the quarterbacks were counted as +3 apart from the others irrespective of the “import” status back then, and yes perplexingly if a team had a Canadian quarterback they were working to develop as is needed with real game time, said quarterback was not counted as Canadian.

In the proposed rule to count said player as naturally Canadian, which he is!, I think in the announcement Ambrosie made sure to make explicit mention irrespective of the past.

Otherwise I could hear the hoots and howls from some folks already as if there was yet another undisclosed hidden agenda against Canadian players.

I agree with all except the preseason part. Though they are needed and preferred no doubt for a better start than like we had last year, I don’t see fans kicking up any big fuss if they are cancelled due to a negotiating delay.

But year-in year-out after this re-re-start of a season I am with you enough delays.

Great points - on the last one often that money ends up going to some young and carefree heir who soon blows it instead.

Fools and riches are soon parted and all that, but they often don’t go to the best places.

The last thing the CFL/Randy want to do is open up (via audit) their side-angle revenues (ie. special sponsorships, concessions, liquor, parking, 50/50s, etc.). These “little” things add up - and the players who make the game happen - should be cut in for a piece of the action. Randy must think pukes like me and most of the players are stupid. So far, he’s been proven right - as players sacrifice their health to get a non-guaranteed paycheque.

2 Likes

Lets not fight over pennies ..no one plays in this league or owns a team to get rich.. we do it for the love of the game and opportunity...get it done

4 Likes

Exactly my point! Same fans questioning why the League would disclose this info are the same ones complaining the league isn’t transparent enough! Besides the players and the players association have used the media and twitter to complain about the league for years.

2 Likes

As someone who pretty much watches every CFL game,I dont understand why the Canadian ratio has to change 1 iota. If anything they should increase the Canadian ratio. I dont like an American player getting National status if around 3 or 4 years,even if its just 1 player.

Also watched every game most years give or take the odd late Western game,I never saw a problem with offenses being boring,not really,I guess I should be thankful they never went to 4 downs. I would have had to throw in the towel. I also dont appreciate the commish getting involved with politics ,he has done this a # of times,I wont go into details,but I wish he would stop it

1 Like

$5000 dollar increase over 5 years is less than 1.5% per year. That does not sound like it is in good faith

3 Likes

IMO no one side is holier than thou. Both are guilty of holding the other over a barrel, and both have used press to sway public opinion. Both are now seemingly intent on holding fans hostage.
Time’s up. You’ve had all fricken winter to negotiate a new deal. Lock yourselves in a room – preferably one with no amenities – and don’t come out until an amicable deal is reached :rage:!

4 Likes

why are they arguing over pennies just play the game, 70% of the teams break even or lose money the cflpa is not negotiating from a position of strength this is not like negotiating some bloated overpaid government union contract

1 Like

It will be signed and the season will be played
End of story

1 Like

I hope this agreement is signed… and as soon as possible. I would not want to see us lose another preseason. Teams with the most roster continuity would have an unfair advantage over the train wrecks from last season.

I suspect this week will be wiped out as the CFL/Randy do not want to be seen as saplings who back down when confronted by strike - and the PA doesn't want to toss its power into the toilet.
By Friday/Saturday (May 20/21) the sides will agree to a shorter timeline (3 to 5 yrs instead of 7) with some minor nuances to the numbers.

2 Likes

I could not agree more with this statement.

1 Like

They (Union and League) aren't there to negotiate a strike,
They are there to negotiate a fair contract.
IMHO, It will get done before this week is done.

:crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

I will always be on the side of players who put their bodies on the line and separate from or uproot their families for an average five-year career without guaranteed contracts which doesn't pay enough for them to live all year around. Always.

4 Likes

Just wondering if the League won't budge on most of their latest offer, do they open Camp and see who shows up? Didn't the NFL do just that in their strike. Started with the rookies and then the veteran players began trickling in.

2 Likes