A lesson in Atlantics: Looking back at past TDA games

TORONTO — On Saturday afternoon the Saskatchewan Roughriders will be kicking off against the Toronto Argonauts at Acadia University’s Raymond Field in Wolfville, Nova Scotia for 2022’s Touchdown Atlantic game.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/07/12/a-lesson-in-atlantics-looking-back-at-past-tda-games/

Its always exciting when teams play over there and showcase our league to new fans. I hope Its an exciting game and I hope to see a new team soon there.

2 Likes

Me too. I always wanna see an entertaining game. That's what we're hoping the locals see this Saturday. :partying_face:

Umm... I just noticed how our league rewrote the ledger with that revisionist 2010 Touchdown Atlantic synopsis:

"The first regular season Touchdown Atlantic game featured a matchup between the Edmonton Elks and the Argonauts, with the game ending in a 24-6 win for Ricky Ray and the Green and Gold."

So that's it 'alternate timeline' buffs. The Eskimos have been erased from history.

1 Like

Its going to be a great day for the CFL and Canada when we become a 10 team league, coast to coast. I can't wait.

2 Likes

add Quebec city and a team in Saskatoon. Make it 12!

1 Like

Nope, the Eskimos haven't been erased from history... there's this thing about history... you can't change it, once it's done, it's done. Guaranteed that the last time Edmonton won the Grey Cup it still has them listed as Edmonton Eskimos not Edmonton Elks. It's just that whoever wrote the article decided to use the new name... it's right and wrong at the same time.

1 Like

Exactly. Both of those cities have Home Depots so the CFL would be foolish not to keep them on the 'A' list.

1 Like

Atlantic 2.0! gidder done go scooners

1 Like

I am all for seeing a 12 team CFL and Quebec City, Saskatoon, Moncton, Halifax are all top contenders. May it viable make it happen.

1 Like

You will NEVER see a team in Saskatoon....

1 Like

So in a sense the Elks are a brand new franchise and yet to win a championship.

In case of erasing the previous franchise, should all those championship banners and players wall of fame be taken down?

why not? Surely some people would love that in province rivalry

Population...
45 to 50 percent of games in Regina are filled with people NOT living in that city

1 Like

No, the Elks aren't a new franchise, just a new name.
The previous franchise hasn't been erased... like I said before... history is history, once it's done, it's done. It can't be changed

1 Like

You can't put a team in Saskatoon.... where do you think half the fans for the Riders games come from.

2 Likes

weve heard how they come from all over. Maybe some northern communities would make the drive to Saskatoon.

Wishful thinking on your part is not going to change the facts. The population numbers and distance will not support two teams... Noe will the tax base wish to pay for a second stadium... Calgary and Edmonton cannot come close to even half filled stadiums and those cities each have the population of the entire provincial population of Saskatchewan

But of that 50 percent, how many would be living closer to Saskatoon than to Regina? Can you imagine the crowds at battle-of-Saskatchewan games? I'm sure it'd be intense.

Maybe a team in Saskatoon wouldn't be viable anytime soon, but at some point with population growth, don't you think it could become viable?

Riders already draw support from the the entire population and from all points of the province. A team is Saskatoon is not viable until such a time the population can support two teams. It just not going to happen any time soon

What do you think would be the necessary population to start seriously considering it?