A.J. gets to play this week too!

Due process, sure. But even in the Canadian court system, a judge can throw out a case for lack of evidence or grounds for an appeal. The CFL should make a stand here.

No, but the league has bargained away its right to decide WHEN a suspension should be served.

The process for applying a suspension is (I presume) a part of the league's labour agreement. The time to fight this is when that agreement's being negotiated, not when an incident occurs.

I agree that, from a fan's perspective, it doesn't seem fair, but it's what the league agreed to.

It's actually a very smart ploy on AJ's part to buy some time until some of the Esks injury problems are solved. He knows he's sitting out, but just wants to put it off as long as possible.

Do I agree with the process? No, but you can't fault a guy for using the system to its full advantage.

Some wouild say ABUSING the system, BHG...

I'm sure they would. I probably would too, but he wouldn't be able to do it if it weren't part of the process allowed by the league.

Regarding the idea that Gass would serve his suspension during the bye week, he would have to sit out one game if the penalty is upheld. That is the minimum suspension one would expect.

Oski Wee Wee,

I concur. This is a loophole the CFLPA and the league should close in its collective agreement. Once a player makes an appeal, it is upheld or reversed. That's it, that's all. That should be the joint position.

Oski Wee Wee,

A.J.Gass,take off the "G" and there he is :lol: :lol:

The main reason he is pursuing it, obviously, is because the Esks have so many key injuries. He does have compelling evidence, apparently, and it truly is a loophole that must be eradicated in the future.

As a member of the Empire, I won't comment on whether I support this move or not. I might very well be lynched and/or cannibalized. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would love to hear his "compelling evidence". As if the TSN cameras got it all wrong...

Yeah I know, it was only a joke. :slight_smile:

I was really just slagging the NHL, a league that seems bound and determined to eventually make the phrase "getting away with murder" a reality.

Gass's defense seems to be the claim that someone tried to grab him by the testicles in the "scrum" following the play, which could be construed as a "deliberate attempt to injure".

That he should have reacted is without doubt...BUT...he DID "lose control" and in ripping another player's helmet off, much less throwing it upfield, he committed and offense specifically forbidden.

Like him or not, he is a "pro", and he is supposed to understand and uphold the rules. (Guilty, M'Lord!)

Now, the Eslimo's playing the loopholes, that allow Gaas to ply without serving subsequent suspension...we need a simple rule change; if you protest, and lose the protest, the suspension is extended an additional game (ie 2 games instead of one).

If you go for arbitration, as in this case, and again are found in the wrong (indicating that you lack professional judgement or understanding of the rules, or career counseling, the suspension should be extended to three games...and shall be served without pay or participation in practices.

A change like this would see an immediate end to any of this sort of shenanigan...lose 16% of your salary for losing in arbitration, and 3-4 weeks with no practice will see your butt on the bench, if you are retained at all

The CFLPA can crab about the initial suspension, but the individual has to sign off on the protest and arbitration request, and if he's that dumb, he'll hardly miss the salary...

Just to nail it down that bit more, "if the player entering suspension is injured, the suspension will/shall commence or recommence at the date of his return from the injury list"