A dose of perspective from south of the border

Not enough Canadians IMO realize the bargain you have in CFL football. Yesterday the Chicago Bears unveiled their "Tiered Pricing Structure" for Single Game Tickets. The least expensive Upper Rows End Zone seats are for a December 24th(BRRR) contest with the Washington Redskins priced at $120.($150 Canadian)

For most regular season contests the least expensive ticket is $190 ($240 Canadian) and for the Green Bay Packers game the least expensive ticket is $240 ($300 Canadian). That is as much if not more than most CFL teams charge for a season ticket for that seating level (end zone upper rows)

All seats from goal line to goal line require a Personal Seat License that is only available for purchase from Jan 1 to May 23rd and the mininum fee is $1450 ($1850 Canadian) not including the ticket cost.

On top of all that, 4 of the 10 home games are scheduled between American Thanksgiving/ Grey Cup Weekend (11/27) and Christmas Weekend (12/24) , along with a Monday Night Game on Halloween.

The major difference that exists between CFL and NFL football is player size, not talent level. Season kicks off in a few weeks and I will be excited to see what impact Vernon Adams, Jordan Lynch, Chad Spann, Jordan Brescacan, Tyrell Sutton and Devarias Daniels make in 2016.

2 Likes

Our average ticket price is around $50.00. That will give a team $15 million in revenue. If they had $190 US as you just suggested with the Bears, the team revenue from attendance would be $60 million.

What would the teams do with all that money?

NFL in T.O. , to keep up would have to be $250 CDN per game. We could get Kathleen Winn to build a 1.5 billion dollar stadium for Rogers, 80,000 seat minimum. Yea sign me up

incredible…and even more incredible that 70,000 or so pack most NFL stadiums week after week at those prices.

2 Likes

Those prices are also AFTER the public has (in most cases) chipped in hundreds of millions worth of subsidies and loan guarantees for billionaires who want a new stadium. It's disgraceful.

2 Likes

So Ted Rogers was a visionary charging those prices?

What we are seeing is the destruction of the middle class.. Only rich people go to games now

2 Likes

How about giving it to the players.

2 Likes

and those are the cheapest prices.
the costs for the expensive seats must be just mind boggling.

1 Like

70,000 out of a metro area of several million is not so bad. The ticket pricesand PSL's (plus $50 for parking and outrageous concession prices) are pricing out most middle class fans. Fortunately 60 inch high def TV's are making it easier to stay at home and enjoy the game. The NFL is all about squeezing every possible dollar out of their dedicated fans. I am not saying that they will one day kill the golden goose with their greed, but I have noticed more and more empty seats every year on TV.

2 Likes

How about not charging it and making the game affordable for most families.

2 Likes

Them prices are high but the fans are willing to pay them, you can't buy tickets to Green Bay Packer games there is a waiting list everyone in the area buy season tickets. No individual tickets will go on sale the only tickets available is what is returned by the visiting teams. Green Bay is hardly a rich area and obviously the middle class fans are not being squeezed out, they people are paying them prices. GB has a population of only 110k even the metro area is only 160k population, football is a tradition in that area and the whole state is behind them.
They have no reason to reduce prices, it's all about supply and demand. If fans decide to cancel season tickets the fans on the waiting list will quickly snap them up.

http://www.packers.com/tickets/season-tickets.html http://www.packers.com/tickets/single-game-tickets.html

Probably the first thing they'd do is not get it. That kind of coin might very well push an awful lot of people out. I don't know that I can manage to pay $250 per game.

1 Like

Yes, the NFL has long been out of control money-wise. Both with player salaries and ticket costs.

The blessing of the CFL is that it's too small to ever get like that.

You shouldn't need to be upper middle class or rich to go to a game. I remember when the Als used to play regular season games at the Big O, and they had tickets that were only $15.

Pro sports have long been the past time of the working man, but not so much in the USA anymore.

Question: How much are typical Div. 1 NCAA football tickets?

But as explained above the Green Bay Packers have a waiting list for people willing to pay $200 a ticket. Their fans are not upper middle class or rich they are average people with average jobs saving up to buy them. They love football and their team.
There are fans in Hamilton and Ottawa snapping up them "club seats" at $300 a ticket times 9 games a year.
Can't you also say that the NHL in Canada is out of control??? NHL fans in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal buying a season ticket package that has over 40 games at $250 a pop, that's the average.

NFL owners bankroll that . The Chicago Bears ownership is one of the richest in North American Pro Sports with the prices they are able to get for a mediocre product plus all the NFL TV

The Bears are the 2nd or 3rd most expensive NFL ticket (Jets, Giants and Patriots are about the same cost) most franchises charge 1/3 to 1/2 as much. Even still though the Indianapolis Colts (at least they have had a winning team) still charge about $90 ($110 CA) to sit in the end zone of Lucas Oil Stadium.

The cost of attendance is driving NFL attendance down and will continue to do so. The only reason teams like the Giants, jets & Bears sell out is due to the large population base in the Chicago and NY metro regions

You are 100% correct and thank you for making that point. Luckily for me I do not live in Cook County IL as Sales and Hotel tax revenue from the City of Chicago and Cook County was use to pay some of the cost of stadium construction.

Strange also how having spent $400M(US) the Bears ended up with a Soldier Field that seats 1500 fewer fans than before the renovation

You are largely correct except for Major League Baseball. The large number of home games (81) has kept owners from pricing them too ridiculously (except in Boston or Chicago Cubs)

Chicago Black Hawk tickets are now $100 US if you actually want to sit during the game as the Black Hawks management has actually found a way around Fire Codes to sell standing room only seats. Ice Hockey is extremely popular in Metro Chicago but $100 is ridiculous.

Won't happen in the NFL not with a salary cap and non guaranteed contracts

You will continue to see more empty seats, too many bad teams, team ownership asking too much of fans and my 50 inch Hi Def TV costs the price of 2-3 game tickets.

incredible…and even more incredible that 70,000 or so pack most NFL stadiums week after week at those prices.
[/quote]
70,000 out of a metro area of several million is not so bad. The ticket pricesand PSL’s (plus $50 for parking and outrageous concession prices) are pricing out most middle class fans. Fortunately 60 inch high def TV’s are making it easier to stay at home and enjoy the game. The NFL is all about squeezing every possible dollar out of their dedicated fans. I am not saying that they will one day kill the golden goose with their greed, but I have noticed more and more empty seats every year on TV.
[/quote]
Them prices are high but the fans are willing to pay them, you can’t buy tickets to Green Bay Packer games there is a waiting list everyone in the area buy season tickets. No individual tickets will go on sale the only tickets available is what is returned by the visiting teams. Green Bay is hardly a rich area and obviously the middle class fans are not being squeezed out, they people are paying them prices. GB has a population of only 110k even the metro area is only 160k population, football is a tradition in that area and the whole state is behind them.
They have no reason to reduce prices, it’s all about supply and demand. If fans decide to cancel season tickets the fans on the waiting list will quickly snap them up.

http://www.packers.com/tickets/season-tickets.html http://www.packers.com/tickets/single-game-tickets.html

[/quote]
While Green Bay has about 160K people, Milwaukee which is only 120 miles away has nearly 2M and Madison about 120 miles away has another 400K. There are nearly 6M Wisconsinites for the Packers to draw from and Wisconsin has NHL hockey and their NBA franchise has been horrible for years.

1 Like