A couple of questions from a newbie

Hi all,
I recently got directv and been able to watch several CFL games. I'd have to say this league is definitely more exciting to watch than NFL games. I'd admit, sometimes i'd rather watch a CFL game than an NFL game. I like to watch passing, passing and more passing!

I have a couple of questions though.

1. How does a team score 1 point without having to kick a PAT?
  2. There is Madden2005 for the NFL, are there any video games for the CFL yet?
  3. When does the 2006 season signing period begin?
  4. Quarterbacks in the CFL are almost never drafted, how are QBs assigned to CFL teams?

btw, check out my website, http://www.TimmyChang.net
Thanks for your responses!

I'll give it a go

1. How does a team score 1 point without having to kick a PAT?

Also known as the rouge, a single point can be scored by a punt or a missed field goal that either goes through the endzone or is caught by a player in his own endzone who is then downed in the endzone. Check the online rulebook for more details (menu item "the Game")

1. There is Madden2005 for the NFL, are there any video games for the CFL yet?

Not a gamer, but I do not think so.

1. When does the 2006 season signing period begin?

I believe free agents can be signed at anytime. Typically teams hold free agent camps in feb - april, often some of these are held in the USA.

There is a Canadian (Non Import) college draft in the spring.

The players association site might provide you with more details:

http://www.cflpa.com/
  1. Quarterbacks in the CFL are almost never drafted, how are QBs assigned to CFL teams?

Free agent signing or trades

btw, check out my website, http://www.TimmyChang.net
Thanks for your responses!
[/quote]

I always wanted my own website, but I never got around to making one.

1. In the CFL, there are no fair catches and no touchbacks. Returners HAVE to return the ball. If they choose not to do so when the catch the ball in their own end zone, they concede one point to their opponent. That being said, if the ball flies through the endzone without being touchable by the returner, the offence still get the single even if it wasn't the returner's fault. That can happen on punts, missed field goals and kickoffs (rare, but feasible).

2. There is no CFL videogame, much to our dismay. All of us hardcore fans would want one, but we kinda doubt the market would be big enough to support the investment needed from the game developper. There is a guy on this site (MartyMix) who re-created to the perfection the roster of all nine CFL teams for Madden 2005. That helps, but you still don't get to play with CFL rules.

3. Signings can happen anytime. Players in the last year of their contract become free agents in mid-February (this year, it was the 15th). Free agents are signed whenever teams need them.

Only players considered as non-imports (Canadians) can be drafted in the college draft in April. All imports (99% of which are Americans) are signed through free agency.

Teams can also add imports to their negociation list. If, for instance, the Blue Bombers add you to theirs, then the other eight teams don't have the right to make you an offer until your negociation failed with Wininpeg.

During the off-season, rosters can contain over 80 players. But when pre-season starts, that numbers has to get down to 50. And one week before the season starts, the number is reduced again to 40. So a lot of guys come here in the winter to make the teams, but most of them are cut by summer.

1. QB are hired the same way all other players are. Canadian QBs can be drafted (though that almost never happen). Imports QBs are hired through free agency.

One important thing though: Each team must have at least 19 non-imports on their active roster, but QBs don't count in the ratio. So all three QBs can be Americans and they don't affect the ratio.

By the way, are YOU Timmy Chang, or are you a fan of him?

Well Put Third And Ten, And Leeing Once Again Providing Another Converted American An Explanation To Our Rules. Just To Expand On The Video Game It’s The Second Most Popular Topic Behind Expansion On This Site. My Advice Is To Search It On A Search Engine Cause A Lot Of Companies Have Toyed With The Idea. One Of The Best Sources I Have Found Is http://www.playcanadianrules.com

[/quote]
There is a CFL game for PC I have the CD somewhere it came out four years ago by a Canadian company and they use the Madden enigine. It is all CFL rules and CFL players. I will try to find the disk so I can get the web site for you.

I believe on a kickoff the returning team actually has to touch the ball for any point to be awarded. Either the returner is downed in the end zone or the ball reflects ouf of bounds in the end zone after being touched by the returning team. If the kicking team just hoofs the ball out of the end zone on a kickoff without the returning team touching it, it is similar to a touchback in the NFL. A punt kicked directly out of the end zone or a failed field goal going out of the end zone even if not touched by the returning team DOES get one point though. Believe it or not!

3rd&10, Thanks for all the useful information. The Rouge was confusing to me before, but it now makes sense.... kinda.

redwhite2005, if you can find that CFL PC game, that would be cool. I'm getting kinda tired of playing Madden. I'm also looking for an AFL game.