A consideration of presently relevant CFL books

1. The Water Boy: Ackles and Mulgrew.
  2. Home Again: Cosentino.
  3. Border Wars: Willes.
  4. A Passing Game: Cosentino.
  5. The Phoenix of Professional Sports Leagues: O'Brien.
  6. Goin' Deep: Dunigan and Taylor.
  7. Bigger Balls: Giles.
1 Like

re #3
I saw a book entitled End Zones & Border Wars by Willes which was quite a good book about CFL USA (my only real beef was for some random reason the colour pics neglected to show the USA teams which was just odd based on subject matter)

Is the original post a typo or is there a different book also published?

And to add to the list, brand new book just published this year

#8 The Baltimore Stallions: The Brief, Brilliant History of the CFL Champion Franchise by Ron Snyder

This book is much more focused on Baltimore and will also discuss other leagues in addition to the CFL chapters despite the title of the book

#9 All Heart My Story - Micheal Clemons

Its quite a good book overall and has lots of insights that are very relevant today, everything from systemic racism to how USA football runs in the States

1 Like

Have number 3,4,5 and 7 in my collection.

Have all 7.

Steve O’Briens, Frank Consentino’s, & of course Bob Ackles’ books I personally liked best, with an honourable mention going to Jeff Giles’ book which is still relevant today in some instances; sadly so as many of the issues he mentioned back then are still relevant

Tell Me to My Face is a great book. I bought it when it came out and still own the copy. It’s a must read for any football fan.

1 Like

Necrobump to add another good title I found

Gridiron Underground

In a nutshell its a book about black athletes who were scorned by the NFL and came north to play in the CFL

5 Likes

Since this thread seems to have been revived, I figured I would toss a few titles out there that I have heard about recently;

Year of the Rocket by Paul Woods

Bush League: If they were good enough…They’d be in the NFL? by Bruno Branco

1 Like

Self-serving, but what the hell:

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (lulu.com)

3 Likes

In 2020 I started compiling a list of books and publications relating to Canadian Football. I’m sure I have missed some but here is a current list that is posted at the Pro Football Researchers Forum (some book reviews and related video links are included):

https://www.profootballresearchers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5783&sid=ed25f28dd6429a75234ad57133ee0547

1 Like