89 greycup

uh!..Maybe in Sask. history,CFL history,now that’s questionable!!! as I recall there was another kicker played in that game,maybe ya heard of him? Goes by the nickname of OZZY !!!(cfl record 6fg in ‘86’ CUP) :smiley: :rockin:

hehehe

what was Osbaldiston's longest FG?

There was a great kicker in BC… maybe you have heard of him? Lui Passaglia…

There were and are many great kickers in the CFL; Ridgeway, Passaglia, Ozzy, Cutler, McCallum (just for Rider fans), etc. but if I could choose any one to kick a field goal on the last play with the Grey Cup on the line, Ridgeway would be my pick.

No arguments there… I believe that McCallum was underrated as a punter/overrated as a placekicker… IMO, he sacrificed yardage to master the coffin corner punts… there is no one better at pinning teams deep in their own end.

Well since ya asked!! Osbaldiston’s longest f.g. regular season was a mere 57yd. chipshot,done twice in ‘90’ ‘97’.He also hit fgs. of 56yd.-1991,55yd.-‘92’,54yd.-‘87’,53yd.-94.Amazingly throughout his 18yr. career,Ozzy only failed to get a 50+ fg in 2 seasons(‘89’=47yd)(‘96’=48yd).In play-off games,#3 cranked out a 58yd’r in ‘86’ and of
course the most famous of all…1998 east final,no time left on clock…OZZY propels into an IVOR WYNNE FRENZY!!54 YDS.
GOOOOOOOOOOD!!! CATS GO TO THE CUP!!! Without a doubt my favorite in stadium memory!!!gives me chills just thinking about it.Highly recommend checking it out on youtube,just type in 98 east final cfl
ENJOY,CHEERS OVER OUT!!! :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

No doubt that Ozzy was a good one but sadly many people will remember him for staying on a bit too long. The final memory is sometimes the most lasting, when we should be remembering him at his prime. As someone who always cheers for the West, I was glad it was Ridgeway getting the last chance. If Hamilton had the ball last, Ozzy could well be my choice for best kicker, it was that pivotal a play.

WOW! How quickly we forget. The 2012 Argos were no better than the '89 Riders. They had the worst home record in the league, 6th in points for, 6th in points against. Also, with first place within site, 3 of their final 4 games at home and 3 of those against sub .500 teams they went 1-3 with their only home win the final game of the season against a Ti Cat team with nothing to play for and half their starters on the bench.

Ricky Ray, your key to their greatness, went down on September 23 against the Al’s at which point the Argos lost their second in a row and 3rd in 5 games. The first game without Ray they won (Bombers) and of the next 3 the only one they might have won was against the Riders when they put up a pathetic 10 points. The final loss before Ray’s return the Offense played a decent game but the D played one of their worst games of the year.

The 2012 Argos were a below average whose record flattered them. Horrible in their own stadium, a jekyll and hyde offense that didn’t win back to back against plus .500 teams once in the regular season. They got lucky against Montreal in the east final and did a far better job preparing for Chipper Jones former team than they did preparing for him in the Grey Cup.

Oh yeah, best Grey Cups for me, '89, '96 and '76. I’ve always wondered, if Ridgway had missed that field goal and Hamilton won in overtime what would Tony Champions legacy be today. Tying touchdown is still the best catch I’ve ever seen in pro football and the man had broken ribs too.

Sadly cflesk I was at Ozzy's last game,preseason in 2004,forget who we were playing,but remember him struggling with his kicks in the first half.Watching him walking off at half-time,I said to my son,remember this moment,cause Ozzy would never kick for us again.You could just tell by watching his demeanour that he knew it was time.Ozzy never came out for the second half,instead cleaned out his locker,jumped in his car and left the stadium.Next day he announced his retirement after 18 wonderful years,2 grey cups and every record in the book,sadly Ozzy knew that it was time!!! Thank god that he is back again on our coaching staff,he is a legend in this town. :rockin: :rockin:

I totally agree that McCallum has been an underrated punter. No one better to put it between the boundary and the hash.

But He has also been an excellent field goal kicker his whole career. He missed ONE KICK in OT of the west final. Before and since then, always reliable. When he missed that kick in '04, he had been in the league 10 years already. Some said it might have been the end of him. But look at his numbers the 10 years since. Flirting with 90% accuracy. 30 straight FGs, 6 FGs in a Grey Cup. Top Canadian Trophy. The dude is a rock. :thup:

Not to mention at age 43,the Gordie Howe of the CFL!!
still think it was a damn shame what happened to him and his family in that egging incident,utterly ridiculous how som dum-dums behave.

McCallum may be the best combined kicker although I would lean to Passaglia. For my dollar the best punter of all time was Bob Cameron.

all it takes is one play. One play to stop a drive. One play to prevent a TD. One play to keep the other team out of FG range. One play that wasnt made because Shields was out. One play being the minimum difference Shields would have made. One play that probably would have saved the game for the ticats. One plus plays that I beleive would have made the difference.

That certainly was the case in 2009. One play, one man (extra). :cowboy:

well, I like to have a team to cheer for in every game when possible. So I also cheer for riders, argos and ticats in various order in various years, depending on who they are playing at any given time and who they have on their team

Riders were the first team I ever cheered for since about half way thru 66. They were my number 1 team all during lancasters reign. Lions mostly sucked back then anyhow. Then it became lions > riders.

Mostly cheered for cats and or argos in the east.

so, at start of 89, it was lions, riders, ticats, argos. Then it became lions, ticats, argos, riders.

this was discussed a bit in the Rider forum a few days back:

[url=http://forums.riderville.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=82981&hilit=+congi]http://forums.riderville.com/viewtopic. ... lit=+congi[/url]

I’ll say the same thing here…
Lui kicked a lot of FGs over his 24 year career, but he was still a 73.1%er
It has always bugged me a bit when people call him the greatest.

Clutch…you bet

and yes, his punt fakes were pretty sweet.

I don’t buy that at all. Riders had a big lead on the Als and blew it. Montreal never should have been in a position for that field goal to decide the game. As for the Cats, they gave up 43 points. Fourty three. Nobody will ever convince me that Shields injury was responsible for every Saskatchewan point. Plenty of chance for the Cats to stop the Riders and they didn’t.

Five starting DBs. The best one on the team is injured, and is replaced by the sixth best. Nope. No effect on the defence at all. Really? How many points did that cost? Not all of them, but more than three?

Yes, one key player can make a huge difference in a game.

or it could make no difference at all. Anything other then what actually occurred is pure speculation as we have all seen super stars play uncharacteristically bad in the crunch as well.

Saskatchewan could easily say as well that they would have been easily on to a repeat and possibly a threepeat if they didn’t suffer from 5 broken legs in 2008 and losing Dressler in 2009 to a broken leg.

Isn’t speculation fun?

I speculate that interest rates in canada will not go up in the next 5 days.