7 Additional CFL franchises viable by 2035

Agree stever and Ockham. Also, how many of the tickets sold in Toronto were from people from Buffalo and corporate sponsors there? Certainly not all from Toronto or southern Ontario.

quite right Ockham.

and here is another quote by Commish Goodell regarding a London franchise:

[b]"Our point is just to keep growing the game. ... We are seriously contemplating as early as 2013 playing two NFL games next season (in Europe), and I think we'll do that. It's a response to the tremendous fan reaction and the growth of the game. If we can continue to grow the game there and have the fan reaction that we have, there very well may be a franchise in London."[/b]
[url=http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/08/roger-goodell-says-nfl-already-taking-steps-toward-olympic-recognition/1#.UDf90allTr5]http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... Df90allTr5[/url]

somebody better tell the New York teams that … or all the people thinking that L.A. will get 2 teams again

Uh if Toronto could prove it could bring in the fans consistently and make money consistently then you could be sure the NFL would welcome an owner there without consideration to what buffalo does or is doing

You are talking about the NFL and fans do travel to see teams play … almost every game here there are fans from out of state …even the college games you think every one of the over 90,000 seats sold are from Gainsville or even Florida?

who cares where they are from the point is are the fans paying and passing through the turnstiles?

Well, if the renos and long term lease go ahead in Buffalo, I don't think anyone in Toronto will be rushing to build a stadium any time soon or try and get a team. I do think the NFL also won't try and hurt the Bills if the city and state pony up the big millions in Buffalo for the stadium. I've heard that 10,000, give or take depending, people at Bills home games are from Canada.

dawg, the city of LA is a much different beast that the Buffalo-Toronto region. They want 2 teams in LA for a reason.

With the NY economy the way it is now I don’t think there is a chance of a contribution by NY State for an expansion. I don’t think TO is after the Bills anyway even if they did manage to raise money, there are a couple of other small market possibilities and expansion.
California and LA are broke right now they have huge deficit and they are not going to spend any money on a stadium, and they certainly can’t play at the LA coliseum.

The NFL would love to tap into that huge corporate potential in Toronto plus the huge TV market and the fact that Toronto residents have income levels far exceeding most of the new potential NFL cites. Toronto hockey fans are willing to pay $150 a game times 42 Leaf games and big bucks to watch 40 plus Raptor games. I’m sure they would fork out $150 at ticket for only 8 football games. An NFL team at the Rogers centre can generate a lot more revenue than playing in a 70,000 seat stadium in a US city, Toronto doesn’t need a 70,000 seat stadium.

I don't know mike:

USC shows the NFL L.A. is a football town

One week after USC announced its home football games against Oregon and Notre Dame in November were sold out, the school announced Thursday that the season opener against unranked Hawaii on Sept. 1 at the 93,607-seat Coliseum was sold out as well.
A limited number of tickets remain for USC’s other home games against California, Colorado and Arizona State but those games, according to a school official, are expected to sell out at some point next month.
Normally news of ticket sales and sellouts in college football don’t register much of a blip with NFL executives but these numbers should.
With a final vote on the approval of Farmers Field’s environmental impact report coming next month and a site for a competing stadium in the City of Industry already shovel ready, the NFL is beginning to look more closely at Los Angeles as an NFL city.
If there were any lingering notions that Los Angeles wasn’t a football town or that there was too much to do in the fall to waste a day at the stadium or that this city couldn’t support an NFL team, well, those sellouts at the Coliseum this season should put those concerns to rest.

[url=http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/nfl/post/_/id/845/usc-shows-the-nfl-l-a-is-a-football-town]http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/nfl ... tball-town[/url]

Brandon confident Bills will sign stadium deal

Buffalo Bills CEO Russ Brandon is confident the team will sign a stadium lease extension, keeping the NFL franchise in the region.
He offered that glimpse into the ongoing lease talks during an Aug. 16 Power Breakfast presented by Business First titled “Business of Sports: The State of Sports in WNY and Beyond.? For the most part, the Bills organization has been mum about lease negotiations with Erie County.
“We are very committed to a lease extension,? Brandon said. “We are committed to getting a long-term deal done.

[url=http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/print-edition/2012/08/24/brandon-confident-bills-will-sign.html]http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/prin ... -sign.html[/url]

Earl … Think before you answer this … but …

How is it different? L.A. is not some kind of super city

Also how are 2 teams in New York sharing a stadium different from that also …

and Earl college football and NFL football attendance do not coincide with each other

Come on dawg buddy, you know I don't think much and certainly can't match you for grey matter. Why do you insult me then? :twisted:

At any rate, LA is a larger television market than Toronto-Buffalo and LA, being in the US of course, I believe is a bigger draw television wise and stadium wise for other teams in the US than a team from Toronto. If you think to the NFL that Toronto-Buffalo is as important as a market to them as LA, well I belive you are mistaken.

I do agree though, as the USC article alluded to, that college football fanatics and NFL fanatics are or can be almost 2 different beasts down there. That is true enough. Just because USC can get 90,000+ for some games doesn't mean an NFL team could draw like that automatically sort of thing.

So if this did happen,how about some nicknames for these teams.
I'll start with a couple.
Moncton Mooseheads (I'm a fan of Moosehead Pale Ale) :smiley:
Halifax Schooners (I still remember the failed attempt of the Atlantic Schooners)

Of course you all see the beer pattern here right? :lol: