60 to 74 and want to get the COVID vaccine ASAP? Appts at pharmacies are now available

If you are 60 to 74 you are now eligible to book an appointment at a pharmacy. (The closest one to me is a Rexall in Toronto - and I live in Hamilton). It will be the Astra Zeneca vaccine and I am now on their waitlist. There are 327 phamacies across Ontario so one might be closer to you. If you do decide to try and book an appointment best of luck.

2 Likes

Here is the website link:

I hope everyone that can should get vaccinated as soon as they are able to.

2 Likes

So Toronto is still the centre of the universe . :roll_eyes:

Pat Lynch (just another reason to hate the Argos :upside_down_face:)

2 Likes

In today's Spectator , Hamilton pharmacies were listed as sources for vaccinations . Hopefully , Mikefrmthhammer won't have to travel to Toronto , in order to get vaccinated . :slightly_smiling_face:

Pat Lynch (let's save lives )

1 Like

Not where I live. I'm 68, volunteer at our local hospital 3 days a week but I still can't get one.

1 Like

If you are 55 - 70 you've been passed by.
At noon today (Thursday), the phone lines opened up for those 72-years and older to arrange to get their first shot.

This includes residents of Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast.

However, those 55- to 65-years-old residing within the Vancouver Coastal or Fraser health regions can call a participating pharmacy to book their vaccination appointment anytime now.

I have requested a jab at a Shopper's Drug Mart in Hamilton. I am on their waitlist. However, having said that, since I had a deep vein thrombosis (blood clot) in 2009, I am going to be contacting my family doctor for advice on whether I should wait for another vaccine to be available. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Smart decision Mike! Wouldn’t be surprised if the nurse/pharmacist wouldn’t inject until you did.

1 Like

I am 65 and only volunteer 2 days a week at Juravinski (née Henderson) Hospital in Hamilton. I'm disappointed Hamilton Health Sciences does not consider their volunteers to be essential and vaccinate us. C'est la vie (such is life).

At least I can potentially get the Astra Zeneca vaccine (as it is available for 55 - 70-year-olds) - although with my history of a blood clot it might not be a good idea.

In Hamilton only people 70 and over are eligible for the mass vaccination clinics (Pfizer BioNtech). My hope is that they can lower that to 65 soon - however on the news it sounds like there may be a supply issue just vaccinating 75 and older. :cry:

If they call me I won't book an appointment until I talk to my doctor. :wink:

I agree . Teachers and school staff are in the same situation . If you value hospitals , schools , police and fire protection , then vaccinate them .

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

1 Like

If you prioritize all the groups that are required to keep the country running you quickly end up with a list the includes everyone. Then how do you prioritize that list do we decide that we need teachers more than police? Are retired people of less value to society than working people? Prioritizing by health risk is really the only way while supplies are so limited.

2 Likes

If you are up close and personal with the public, then you should be vaccinated ahead of people who can maintain being masked up and backed up . Kindergarten teachers , nurses , police officers , etc. have no choice but to deal with the public closer than 2 metres .
With the latest variant , young people need to be a higher priority than in the past .

Pat Lynch (the old dude)

1 Like

Here in Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health area, our MOH developed a vaccination plan during the interval between the “first wave” and the arrival of vaccines. We began pre-registration almost a month before the Province came on-line, and are already allowing pre-registration of 60+ years, all essential workers, and all those with special health needs. A list of medical conditions and essential occupations is on the website, and, includes teachers and education workers, emergency workers, and those providing essential retail services. Look it up under wdgcovidregistration. Not saying you immediately get the shot, could be a matter of a few weeks, but you get on the list.

Apparently, all it takes is for someone to make the decision to do it, commit to doing it, and then getting it on the rails. IMO, the major problem is too many people are sitting on their thumbs, waiting for “the government” to look after them. Just do it.

1 Like

I know a bunch of police officers and firefighters. They have started vaccinations for those that are more than likely to be public facing. Teachers should also a priority if they want to keep schools open. The HWDSB is in deep dodo’s because of the lack of supply teachers who are either ill themselves or refuse to teach during the pandemic. Also some teachers are milking the “if you feel sick stay home” edict. It’s on the honor system. It’s an extremely small number of those but it puts an enormous strain on the rest of the staff to somehow cover for no shows.

Fyi. You can go to another health unit. Legally they can't turn you away in the province if you are eligible under their guidelines.

Toronto has just opened 60+ or any age with highest or high risk. (Obesity included).

Go to Toronto if you want/need to get vaccinated. Let's not pretend this roll out is a well oiled machine. If anything going to TO takes pressure off the smaller health units. They're practically begging people to book.

I would love to hit the road in my truck and drive all the way to Toronto :slight_smile:

I tried to register in Halton on-line as they are 65 and over. They will only accept registrations from Halton residents. Perhaps I should move? :woozy_face:

1 Like

I have to respectfully disagree with you , Lenny . These are scary times for school staffs and parents . Mental health issues need to be considered . Now , young people are more at risk . People are genuinely frightened .
The front page of the Spectator today highlights the need for school vaccinations .

Pat Lynch (the big Lenny fan)

1 Like