5 teams offer Weston Dressler --- Report (2 teams likely)

Khalif Mitchell went back to the Lions, not the Argos who gave him a second chance in the CFL.
There’s gratitude for ya’.

Ottawa needs him so bad!

I don't even care if they overpay.

They recently released guys like TJ Hill, Seth Williams, Paris Jackson that free up some more money.

Not sure a 1-7 team will have much appeal, though.

Offer him 300K and blow everyone else out of the water is the only chance, IMO.

Yup…could see this for sure.

Is that a guaranteed prediction?? :cowboy: 8)

If he’s popular enough in Saskatchewan to be able to get some endorsement deals out there, that can balance out a bigger game cheque from another team like Ottawa. I see the occasional TV ad out of Regina with players in them, you pretty much never see that with CFL players in Ontario.

It’d be different if someone is willing to massively overpay, but smaller gasp in the offer can be made up. (And the appeal of playing for a contender may also be a factor.)

Just a hunch here,pure speculation,but I think that Dressler if he doesn't resign with the Riders and decides to move East
that the Naughts will sign him. The Naughts just released Dwight "Headcase" Anderson,rb-Jeremiah Johnson and wr-Terell Sinkfield
Sounds like a salary dump move to me to free up the cash to make Dressler a serious offer,all I've got to say though is.......
GOD I Hope I'm Wrong !!!!!!!!!! Dressler can sign anywhere but Toronto as far I'm concerned :x :thdn:

Yeah, but then their still left with a slight problem. Who the hel is going to get him the ball. They already screwed themselves and lost some credibility with the 1/2 mill Burris signing. So now they are going to have 2 guys taking up 16% of their cap and still as useless as ever as they haven’t fixed the 1/2 million dollar blunder that they came out of the gate with.

The other side of that is that in Regina he is competing with a few other people for endorsement money (Durant, Bagg, Chick, Getzlaf etc.). There is only so much money Potash Corp wants to spread around. In Ottawa, he would be pretty much in competition with Burris.

Redblacks just released OL Nate Merkin that could also free up a little more cash.

Should be interesting to see where he signs indeed.

I alluded to that in a post regarding the release of Anderson. There are a few other guys other than Dressler but he is the biggest little fish so far.

Fault shouldn’t be placed 100% on Burris though.

We’re talking about a team that really doesn’t have any big time weapons on offense ( Maybe just Walker and they really don’t give him the ball all that much)

From watching all the Redblacks games, I have never seen a team drop so many passes in my life and we have only played 8 games.

At least with Dressler, we would be getting Burris a guy who can at least be constant and knows where the first down marker is.

Well it doesn’t surprise me in the least,I alluded to that fact(lack of quality receivers) in the off season and training camp.
The genius you have as a GM as usual couldn’t see the forest for the trees in his zeal to sign Hank,he forgot about
perhaps maybe surrounding him with a good supporting cast and didn’t bother signing anybody that Hank could play catch
with. It’s kind of like buying a nice vintage automobile with 4 flat tires and no spare in the trunk.It really doesn’t surprise
me though in the least when you look at DesJardins and his less then stellar track record as a bumbler and stumbler when
it comes to how to run a football team.

Bobo its an expansion team, there was bound to be holes in the lineup, in fact every team save maybe Calgary has some. He drafted Kholert and offered some free agents contracts, it didn't pan out. If he manages to sign Dressler it will give them that second down possession receiver they need. I just don't see Dressler signing with an expansion team at this point in his career.

I can't imagine the numbers-high- mentioned to sign Weston Dressler. I doubt that any team will pay in excess of $180,000 a season. He is not a QB.

If he does not re-sign with Saskatchewan, I do agree with bobo 8224 that the Argos could be his destination.

Richard

Why is that? there have been a large handful of ~200k receivers including Simon and Bruce, Stegall was I think the highest at ~250…just examples, and now the SMS is up. 200+ is not hard to believe at all for a perennial 1000 yard receiver…he fell 59 yards short in a season he played 14 games, and is regaurded to be in the running for best hands in the league

…Could be???BUT you can bet Willy is all over Walters trying to get him to sign one of his favourite targets of the past…Dressler would be very close to home and from what I’m hearing Bombers are prepared to make him a very good offer…Will it get him into BlueNgold???Willy he sign in the Peg or won’t he…guess we’ll see shortly??? :wink:

well, he is officially cleared NFL waivers. Rather saddened by that any way it turns out, as I hoped he would stick...heck of a guy and can't think of many I would cheer on more-so.

Another factor with Winnipeg, if the Bombers have a chance to figuratively poke the Riders and their fans with a stick, this would do it. They could take out a billboard showing Dressler and captioned, for me "Blue is the new Green"!

No team is going to shell out that kind of extra money under SMS just for a poke…but it would be funny…I’d make one saying “Green with envy making you Blue?”

Obviously they would not make that deal for that reason. Can you afford a billboard?