5 Mistakes that cost us the game

Although we lost this game, I do not think it is as bad as I know everyone will make it out to be....IMO this loss came down to just 5 crucial mistakes.
These are not necessarily in order,

no. 1 - Stalas fumble; The cats were driving and looked as if they were going to put up points but a helmet to his elbow carrying the ball caused him to fumble and we lost possession = points lost

no. 2 - Defensive penalties on an early series; the defense had two big penalties on one series that led directly to BC getting 7 points. first on I believe it was Knowlton for facemask, and then a DB had a pass interference penalty = BC touchdown

no. 3 - Bakari Grant's drop; again the cats were moving the ball, and this was the first time Burris stretched the field and had a wide open Grant that would have set them up into BC territory, but he dropped the ball. We gave the ball back to BC at a crucial point in the game when we could have turned things around = points lost

no. 4 - Special teams; could not contain or tackle at all this game and when Brown ran through them for 6 I knew they were in trouble = BC touchdown

no. 5 - Burris INT; he forced a ball into traffic, seconds after the lions just scored and this led again to another TD = BC touchdown

It was a good comeback but we fell short again. Offense and Defense played well enough to win the game but mistakes IMO cost us this game and as long as we tighten some things up (especially on special teams), then they should be able to limit the damage and get some wins!

Sorry, don't think we were watching quite the same game. Offense(outside of Walker's TD) didn't get on track til the 4th Q, truly. If Burris can play 4 quarters the way he played the last one tonight, our offense could easily put up 40+ points/game.

Defense, well when the other teams RB racks up 147 yards, including a 61 yarder when we desperately needed a stop...

Defense is a concern, big time. We get burned in the running game 2 weeks in a row and give up almost 40 points in both. Coach Creehan has to get the D to get their stuff together, or 40+ points a game from Burris & co. won't be enough.

were a bran new team, with some old faces...im not gunna sit here n grunt over anything, ok i lied ill grunt about one thing and that our defensive ends... we need pressure.. we need to be more aware of a qb who can run.. why they werent ready for this is beyond me... BUT again im not going to bust any balls because were a new team.. itll take time to gel, i want to blame our defence BUT(yes another one) were a bunch of no-names really on d... lol our lb's are our only identity.. and really i cant blame them if were not getting any push up front.. i cant blame our db's if the qb has 5-8 seconds to make a decision.. TIME will only be our best bet as far as how are season ends up.. p/s i think we wasted way to much money on fantuz... hes a huge hole in our pocket... for a postion thats easily replaced

Actually he was brought in to FILL pockets. With Green, and I don't mean Rider Green. :wink:

But actually none of the big name signings so far have much of a return on the investment.

As expected, Hamilton offense has improved from week 1. But teams that win the most turnovers normally win most games. Punt coverage seems subpar for both teams. Defense remains as biggest weakness. Deja vu as Hamilton have the same strengths and weaknesses as in 2011.

What is most irksome about the Cats thus far is missed tackles. :x
An atrocious amount of yardage is given up due to this particular lack of focus, which drives me to drink.

the DC may need to go back to the basics and reiterate how to tackle properly.

Burris may have had a couple missteps last night, although still surfaced with
26/39 for 359yds and 4TD's even with a few dropped passes.

Williams should have been utilized more at receiver than he was, and Bartel and Bucknor continue to improve.
There are a few constructive elements to see the light at the end of the tunnel, thus no reason to panic......yet.

Weird move pulling Burris in his second game considering how poorly his oline was playing.

Chevon Walker has great speed but running game is inexistant. you take that big run out of the equation and his yards per carry was 37 yards on 11 carries !

As for the offense output in the 4th quarter. Lions were giving away everything underneat playing with the lead.

Cortez clueing in on Stala and Knowlton is a good thing. Now he needs to lose the boner for that soft running back and put Cobourne in there.

As I mentionned Hage is finished.

Once the correctable errors are dealt with this Tige-Cats team will be at team to be reckoned with ! Lots of Positives coming out of this game. Dont forget its very difficult playing in B.C. with the travel the time difference, and just playing in the visiting stadium with the nose !!

This Tiger-Cats team will be just fine !!!!!!

5 POSITIVES THAT ALMOST WON US THE GAME !!

1. The play of Chevon Walker

2. Playing Dave Stala

3. Defence is improving

4. Chris Williams keeps contributing and getting better.

5. Offence is coming together !

I think he was pulled because he (and the coach a little) lost their composure.

I hope not

HFxTC wrote: As I mentionned Hage is finished.
I certainly hope not. It would be a crying shame if the surgery/rehab was for not.

"As I mentionned Hage is finished."

After all is hard work and dedication, let's give the man a few games before we write him off....

During the game, the cameras were fixated on Hage and Farhan Lalji said that it was a hamstring injury. Not another injury to his ACL that required surgery. Sometimes when you have had a serious injury and you are trying not to re-injure it, you tend to injure something else. Hopefully it is not that bad and just a slight hamstring pull.

They rushed him or he rushed himself. It is a fact that it takes 11 months for an ACL to fuse properly and he clearly is not in game shape. Bringing him back too early is crazyness. He should be doing strenght and conditionning right now and getting his body right. Realisticaly he should not be in the lineup probably till or around labour day. I don't know who it is that cleared him to start playing nine months after surgery.

Exactly. Compensation and the fact that he is not in game shape.

According to the team, the injury is not serious and is NOT related to the injury. Let's not panic....

Hfxtc wrote:

"Chevon Walker has great speed but running game is inexistant. you take that big run out of the equation and his yards per carry was 37 yards on 11 carries !"

Maybe, but this is the second game in a row where he has had a long run for a touchdown, using his explosive speed and moves. The Oline may need to open better holes for him, or he may simply need to read them better and more consistently.

And everytime he touches the ball, the defense will need to worry. Could this be the play???

Once all the pieces start coming together, he will become a factor that will be tough for the opposing defense to work against combined with our receiving corp.

Meantime, he's a rookie, cut him a break.

Panic is unwarranted, but concern is appropriate IMO. Even if the injury isn't directly related to the ACL injury, it could well be indirectly related -- Hage either overcompensating for the repaired ACL, or a factor of not being in proper game shape, or both. He has come back far too soon from a very serious injury and is thus putting himself at serious risk. I sincerely hope he stays healthy this year, but I don't like the odds...

I also think Avon should be playing. If you can, find an import spot to use Walker as a change of pace back, but he is not good enough to carry the mail every down and he can't pass-block. The explosive 90-yard runs are exciting, but you need consistent production from the tailback spot. You also need a blocking back, particularly with the offensive line struggling. Believe me, Burris will appreciate a veteran like Avon a lot more in the long haul.

Discipline wrote:

"Panic is unwarranted, but concern is appropriate IMO. Even if the injury isn't directly related to the ACL injury, it could well be indirectly related -- Hage either overcompensating for the repaired ACL, or a factor of not being in proper game shape, or both. He has come back far too soon from a very serious injury and is thus putting himself at serious risk. I sincerely hope he stays healthy this year, but I don't like the odds..."

If the man is not in game shape, then the only way he will get there is to play, hence the name.

The decision to play is not just his. I'm sure the team and the doctors had their say, and ultimately it will be the coach's say so. The team will not play someone who is not medically ready as they have the player as well as medical and game liability to be concerned about.

I'm sure he was OK'd by the right people to participate. The team says its NOT related to the injury. So it may have happened anyway, regardless of his previous condition. Let's not jump to conclusions.

I think there were a lot more mistakes than 5 last night, and a number that could have changed the game.

The big one for me was the inability of the defense to stop Harris in the fourth quarter. When the Ti-Cats were down by 8 points with 3 minutes or so to go, the defense needed to stop BC. On the first play they line up 7 or 8 guys in the box and were moving around, and Harris runs for 61 yards.

There also were some interceptions that were dropped that could have changed things.

Late in the game, the offense scored 2 touchdowns against the prevent defense, so they are still not playing that well. The defense needs to play better against the run, and needs to come up with some turn overs. The special teams unit needs to stop the returner a little more often to give the defense a chance. I think there was some improvements, but still plenty of work to do.

Overall I came away feeling a little more optimistic after this game, as it looks like this team still has a lot of upside and room for improvement. The team showed they can make some plays, just need to be a little more consistent.

As far a Hage's injury, we'll wait and see.

PJ