5.065M Watch Super Bowl

The numbers are in and they are huge in Canada.
4.16M on CTV and 905,000 on RDS.

[url=http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080204.wspttruth4/GSStory/GlobeSportsFootball/home]http://www.globesports.com/servlet/stor ... tball/home[/url]

obviously people were curious to see if the pats would go undefeated.

one thing ive noticed: most people who watch the superbowl tend not to watch any other football games all year....they dont tune in for the NFL reg season, and dont really follow the playoffs....they just get sucked into the hype and watch that one game...canadian tv ratings back up my claim.

Watched it, or had their TVs on?
I imagine about 4.3 million caught up on their sleep in the first 3/4s.

Yes good point Arius.
All that over the top hype by CTV has paid off I guess.

4.16 million on CTV.
That includes CFL fans as well don't forget.
The Grey Cup went up against the NFL.
NFL fans don't watch the Grey Cup.
CFL fans watched the Super Bowl.
Still, the numbers for both Grey Cup and Super Bowl include people who wouldn't know a quarterback from a cornerback.

Like I said it previously, here in the GTA the promos for the SB was at least 10-1 against what the GC got and that included being in Toronto.

I like the fact though that CTV advertised next year's Grey Cup telecast during the game.

Although it is unlikely as not totally ruled out, the CTV network should show the GC game.

I don't think the main network should show the GC game. If TSN is going to show all the games this year, TSN should show the championship too.

I think it's ridiculous that the Super Bowl gets broadcast television and the Grey Cup is now to be relegated to cable. The Toronto media has gotten another notch on their belt to try and downgrade our game. This is just more fuel to their fire all about how the CFL is bush in comparison. They are the ones who have been painting as bush for as long as I can remember.

The ratings will fall for next year's Grey Cup simply because less people have access to it. I know, I know sports fans and football fans will still have access, but a game like the Grey Cup has the casual fan as well.......HAD the casual fan as well.

Once the ratings drop and the SB numbers continue to rise because they are on broadcast television, this just piles it on to their case for the NFL.

The hype machine continues.....but the CFL will prevail...as stupid as they are, they will still prevail.

WELL MORE CANADIANS WATCHED THE SUPER BOWL THAN THE GREY CUP THATS INTERESTING.I THINK THE CFL NEEDS TOO ADD MORE TEAMS A 8 TEAM LEAUGUE PLAYING EACH OTHER OVER AND OVER ISNT FUN TOO WATCH.I THINK THEY SHOULD ADD ATLEAST 4 MORE TEAMS

i agree… everyone who owns a TV set automaticly gets CTV. a GC on CTV would grossly increase viewers. CFL should really look into it.

Don't you find it funny that they DID NOT include RDS rating for the Grey Cup but they did for the Super Snore??? All to pump up NawFuL #'s!!! :thdn:

Exactly! Other than the forth quarter, pretty dull stuff!

This is the first Super? Bowl I've watched in its totality in many years. I guess it was the perfect season thing and all. Sure doesn't mean I'm hooked on the NFL though. Of course I was watching another program of interest during the commercials and halftime, sorry about that sponsors.

And therein lies the exact reason for such Canadian numbers! “Curiosity”. All the hype of the “perfect season”. Considering that the GC really got no hype from Canadian media…it’s numbers were incredible!!

But even with the american media hype factory’s on full throttle, the SB only got a few viewers more. Sounds like alot of people were watching the “Puppy Bowl” like moi!

I watched the game this year, I generally watch the Super Bowl.

With a close game and a fairly entertaining finish, it's not really that surprising that it had good numbers in Canada.

As good as these numbers are, for me the bottom line is how yours truly plus some 27M other Canadians did not watch this crap.

Now consider how many of those 27 million don't know what football is either because they're new to the country, or are too young, etc. Saying 27 million sounds good, but it doesn't mean anything.

Face it, if New England hadn't been on the verge of a perfect season, the ratings wouldn't have been anywhere close to what it was. Yes, I watched the game and I found it pretty good but I found this past Grey Cup good as well. I appreciate a good low scoring, defensive game once and a while.