4th Quarter Decision

The Ticats defense should have gone after Burris to try to get him out of his rhythm. Had they been successful, it was game over.
By going into the prevent defense, the middle was opened up and hence the 2 plays to setup the winning field goal.

Sorry, but you are all wrong. The thing to do with 13 seconds on the clock is basic, my dear Watson. You go with the punt formation, then you take a time-count violation. This puts you 5 yards back, and you start the punt again. By this time, if there is a fair bit of hang time, by the time the guy catches the ball, there is likely no more time left on the clock.

Am I the only guy that thinks like this?

The Eagle. :o :o :o

prevent defenses should not be giving up more than 7 or 8 yards per play, unless you have a big lead. you’re supposed to make them eat up the clock themselves by making them have to use multiple plays just to get a first down.

I say go for the field goal to seal the win. If Boreham misses it puts another nail in his coffin and puts him closer to the door.

The prevent we ran was unbelievable. Our guys were 30-40 yards downfield. We conceeded the two big completions after basically stopping them all half. The HC is responsible for that call. I put it down to another game lost because we were out coached. And yes, punting would have run time off the clock and made it much tougher.

A Punt getting blocked is much easier than a FG getting blocked.

I still like the punt out of FG formation, by the time the American returner back there realizes whats going on the clock would have been way down.

You would sacrifice a win just to get rid of a player?

No your not…I was screaming this at the TV…(I know, I know but hey…what else could I do as I watched them give them the game) :roll:

We didn’t deserve to even be in that position with that much time on the clock! If not but for the great play of our “D”!!!

And what more can be said about the “Great Play” of Jason Goss!!! That was one gutsy jump on that ball…good for him! :thup:

Sorry folks, but punting in this situation should NEVER have been an option. A professional football kicker should be able to make a 40-yard field goal, no questions asked!!! The kick was so far wide that it wasn't even close. I'm SICK of losing and I've never watched such atrocious football from the Tiger-Cats than I've witnessed in the last couple of years. Not much fun anymore.

Sorry to argue with you “pope”…but if we did as was suggested…take the penalty and move it back 5 yards…then we would have run more time off the clock!

We knew at that point in time that Boreham was not on and with the way the game was going…it would have been the right move!

If given the chance to do it again…under the same circumstances…I don’t think they would try a field goal…AFTER ALL if they make it…they are starting at the 35 and still have time…we saw what that did…and who’s to say they wouldn’t have gone long in hopes of making it or drawing a penalty!

Boreham was 2 for 2 before the late field goal miss. So your comment about him “not being on” is just silly. How can you say they wouldn’t try the field goal again under the same circumstances?

OK…I’ll try to explain in lay man terms…

If they had set up in punt formation and then took a time-count violation penalty (as previously pointed out) there would be precious few seconds left by the time Calgary got the ball. (assuming the boys could stop them from bringing the ball out of the endzone).

And for the record…I’m not a “Boreham Basher”…perhaps in retrospect I should have added " Boreham’s Preasure Kick Game" was not on! He didn’t need that added preasure, because had he made it…there was still time for Calgary to go long more than once, down the sidelines to score a TD.

We needed to run more time off the clock and keep Calgary deep in their own end. It was a poor decision! Period!

The football coach's manual calls for a field goal attempt in this situation.

A 4 point lead forces Calgary to march 75 yards to score a TD to beat us.

I believe that the posters who are suggesting other options
are doing so because they are under the perception that
Boreham's kicking abilties were irretrievably lost the previous game.

It doesn't happen that way folks.

In this game, Boreham had already made 2 field goals
and he was pounding his kick-offs inside the 10 yard line.

There was no reason to NOT go for 3 points

just like it says in the coach's manual, right pope?.

NO…the key to this was run the clock out! Period!

That’s right Ron. There is no other team in this league that would have considered doing something different other than kicking a field goal in this situation, plain and simple.

Look we can go around on this till the cows come home...but the long and short of it is that we didn't run the clock out, or maintain posession of the ball and gave them the chance to come back and win the game! ( which they did )

You can't come back and win the game with 0 seconds on the clock! :roll:

If there was the proper penalty called on the late hit on Maas, it's a moot point - we would have had a first down and been able to run out the clock. Boreham was 2-for-2 during the game. There was no reason NOT to go for the FG. If the punt is blocked - instant field position. If it is downed in the end-zone - the game results in the same outcome. If Boreham had made the FG - we win.

End of story.

That is exactly my point I wanted to make on game day,and to-day…

I want a thinking coach who wins by outsmarting the fans and commentators and posters on this forum.

Not a robot with a coachs manual .

I’d rather that our coach keeps cool and thinks several plays ahead ,not emotionally about the one that is past and out of our control.

Put on a Cowboy hat and smoke a cigar coach or put on your thinker cap :cowboy: :thup:

Who said there would be 0 seconds left on the clock? If you take a time count violation and move the ball back 5 yards the clock doesn’t start until the snap of the ball. They wouldn’t have been able to “run out the clock”. This situation would have been fine if they were on the 50-yard line but they were in field goal range. Woody, go ask any coach or former coach in this league if they should have done what you suggest and I’ll guarantee you that not ONE would agree with you. Bottom line…make the bloody field goal!!!

You missed one critical point…time would have been run down further by a time count violation…Bingo! I know that the clock doesn’t start untill the ball is snaped. :roll: Yes, if they kick it through the endzone…1 point…same result…that was not my point! My point was run more time off the clock!

Look we will never solve this…They Lost…Game Over! Some people just want to dig in the fact that we missed the field goal! I saw the game!

Let me ask you this…(I do know the answer though)…how many points would we have got if they tackled the guy in the endzone, trying to run the ball out? (which also would have run more time off the clock). then what would be the score???

Follow my thinking now???

I qualified that, many posts back…we didn’t deserve to still be in that game based on our “O” play…our “D” kept us in that game…and the points scored by Boreham!

Nothing like putting all the blame on Boreham for the loss! :roll: