40,770 for Bills in Toronto

40,770, and at reduced ticket prices.

(wonder why the other "Bills in Toronto" thread was locked.)

As I was mentioning on the main board, Bills have been my 2nd fav NFL team behind the Vikes and I've always wished them the best of luck, enjoyed going to Bills games in the past from time to time apart from the games when I had idiot drunks beside me. But this Bills Toronto experiment just sort of takes the shine off of the Bills for me, sort of sad they have to go play in a foreign country for the almighty dollar to boost them up. A shame, they really shouldn't have to do this, always thought of them as a great franchise with a great fanbase there in WNY. What do you do though. :?

The positive thing is that so many showed up to watch a team which is not Toronto's and was all but eliminated weeks ago.
The revenue from the Bills in Toronto in front of 40,770 would still be greater than in Buffalo this time of year playing in front of 60,000 plus.
You could also say the largest football crowd (non Grey Cup) at the Rogers Centre in many years. No freebies, no $10 tickets, the fans paid an average of $125. The private suite sales generated a lot of money from the corporate sector and I know the advertising revenue for this game was through the roof. A lot of Canadian advertisers paying the big bucks to get their name on US TV. I'm sure that Rogers, the Bills and the NFL are very happy and would say that a 90% full stadium with the fans paying Double the NFL average price for tickets to watch a team with no affiliation to Toronto is a huge success.

Why was the other Bills in Toronto locked? because it spiralled out of control with personal insults. There are many that absolutely "hate" the NFL and if you post anything positive about the NFL they attack you personally rather than debating the facts. Don't shoot the messenger, shoot the message.

But we did that. You kept repeating that tickemaster was sold out, others proved that you were lying about that. So the message was shot. If you think that being exposed as a liar is a personal attack, well, if the shoe fits. . .

[b]mikem wrote: No freebies, no $10 tickets, the fans paid an average of $125[/b]
again more falsehoods and outright fabrications.
[b]mikem wrote: bashing the NFL won't stop it coming to Canada. The only thing that will stop the NFL coming to Toronto will be Torontonians fans rejecting it, and the advertisers and the corporate sector ignoring it. Just too many NFL fans in Toronto and not enough CFL fans in Toronto[/b]
reiterating the same lines over and over for years does not make them true.
8) Considering that the Bills are a joke of a team, with a HC , who is a dead man walking, and a lousy QB, maybe they
  can hire Cortez back now to help poor Ryan out !!!    <!-- s:wink: -->:wink:<!-- s:wink: -->

Except calling someone a "liar" as opposed to simply saying that his facts are incorrect, -is- a personal attack.

The rules on this board are pretty simple. You are welcome to debate whatever you like. You are welcome to agree or disagree with any fact or opinion.

Here's a couple of examples if you are not sure what I mean by this:

Unacceptable:
"You are a liar".
Acceptable:
"That is not correct - here is the correct information, and here is the link to the source of that fact."

Unacceptable:
"You are a moron".
Acceptable:
"Your opinions are not supported by the facts and here's why..."

It's pretty simple really - just treat each other as you would wish to be treated.

Cheers, Bob.

Here's a link to a story today.

[url=http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/opinion/2012/12/bills-still-only-nfl-option-for-toronto.html?cmp=rss]http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/opini ... ml?cmp=rss[/url]

You can decide for yourselves what you think the key points are. It does not suggest that Toronto is the best next market for the NFL, or that the Bills will leave Buffalo to move there.

I agree with what I think is the main thrust of the article.... stadium is too small, corporate ownership not allowed so Rogers-Bell is/are out, LA is a better market (so are London and Mexico... I hadn't thought so much of them), fan support has been tepid, Toronto media has not been all ga-ga about it, Buffalo will not give up the team without a fight, political considerations for keeping them in Buffalo are significant, revenue potential in Toronto is decent though not amazing. Likely result? .... continuation of the status quo , i.e. occasional games in Toronto.

This experiment put money in Ralph Wilson's jeans but after that is considered a failure by everyone else (with a few notable exceptions). Now that Rogers is putting so much more cash into the Blue Jays it will be interesting to see if they have anything left for this over-hyped side show.

As for those who incessantly predict the NFL in Toronto, I've got one word for you: stadium

BTW, there were plenty of freebie tickets at Skydome yesterday.

exactly why the CFL needs a couple or 4 American teams in big markets.

WHO CARES !! THE TICATS JUST SIGNED KENT AUSTIN AS GM AND COACH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

[url=http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/15/bills-in-toronto-series-has-been-a-flop]http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/15/bi ... een-a-flop[/url]

Somewhere up above, Bobby Ackles must be smiling.

Almost six years ago, when the announcement was made that the Buffalo Bills would be playing regular-season games in Toronto, it was Ackles, then president of the B.C. Lions, previously involved with the Dallas Cowboys, Miami Dolphins and Arizona Cardinals, who screamed the loudest about the NFL’s invasion into Canada.

He thought it was the beginning of the end for the CFL and if not that, the CFL in Toronto. He worried about football’s future right across Canada. In retrospect, Ackles had concerns that never factored in at all.

The Bills In Toronto series has been a blip on the Toronto calendar, a one-day, so-what, annual intrusion that has failed from its original intentions.

The Bills have made no footprint into Southern Ontario; Toronto remains an NFL-mad town, with interest spread right across the league. The one game a year remains an impossible sell, even with discounted tickets and promotional giveaways.

The late Bobby Ackles can rest easy: Whatever this Bills In Toronto series was intended to be hasn’t happened. This series has tripped over itself at every possible turn, right from the beginning. This hasn’t brought Toronto closer to the NFL: If anything, the NFL has never seemed further away from this city as it does right now.

I think DG's assessment is about right.

“Even if it is supposed to be a home game, I mean, you can’t really say it’s going to be that way,? Williams, a defensive lineman with the Buffalo Bills, told a group of reporters earlier this week.

He raised his eyebrows as he explained his position.

“You’re going somewhere where, some people, they might not even care much about football,? he said. “It’s not really a big deal. They don’t care who wins.?

Buffalo players, meanwhile, have treaded carefully on the notion of Toronto feeling like an adequate NFL home. “Uh, I don’t want to make any headlines or be controversial here,? Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick told reporters earlier this week. “The atmosphere is different. I think everybody knows that.?

“The fans are really excited,? Bills running back C.J. Spiller said, in defence of Toronto. “Probably guessing that’s due to the hockey lockout.?

[url=http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/12/15/bills-relocation-farther-away-than-ever-before/]http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/12/ ... er-before/[/url]

This article from the Star is very funny.

Bumbling Bills made for Toronto

[url=http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/nfl/article/1303184--bills-in-toronto-bumbling-bills-made-for-toronto]http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/ ... or-toronto[/url]
At various points, the crowd chanted for the Seahawks, the Jays, and the Argos. They cheered when Seattle ran a fake punt late in a laugher. Maybe that’s not a crime, but it’s at least a misdemeanor against sportsmanship. But they cheered anyway.

They cheered every dropped ball and pick-6. They took sadistic glee in watching the “home? side crumble.

Afterward, the Bills didn’t bother to keep things cordial

Well I have to say as a TiCat season ticket holder I went & had a great day in the "DOME" with my son.
Sat in lvl 500 nose beeds on the 35 yard line & had a great view of the "game"....or should I say slaughter?

His 1st NFL game of his life and I was happy to allow him an opportunity to see the NFL in Canada as I'd never take him to a game in Buffalo.....until he's a bit older.

He had fun, learned what it's like to be at a game with lots of people wore his Buffalo Bills jersey & cap, drank an over priced cola and ate over priced food. I believe they call it a great day at the field.

It's really too bad many people hold the arguement the one league is better / worse than the other. I've never understood it at all. I'll always teach my kids to accept the differences & appreciate them for what they are. It's all good, it's all fun, it's that simple.

:cowboy:

I guess you forget when they announced the bills series 5 years ago and the hype of the nfl coming, that this would be the end of the Argos and ultimatly the CFL.

But don’t worry about it, it ended pretty well, i would say :lol:

Is this the smallest crowd at an NFL game this year?
If so, then Toronto has the distinction of having the smallest crowds for the CFL and NFL in the same year.

Not exactly a ringing endoresment for an NFL franchise.....

They really panned the game on The Score this afternoon.