3000 Empty Seats in Calgary!!!

They need a new stadium like 10 years ago. Why isn't there more talk of getting rid of McMahon. Or do people simply not care about the Stamps in Calgary?

They had empty seats at the last few labor day classics. Still well over 30 000 and they are averaging around 28 k for the year. Something , Ham, Tor and Mon could only dream about !

It is a bit alarming for Calgary. They have a great team, and they averaged over 35,000 just a few seasons ago. What gives? They've had their 2 biggest rivals visit them, it's not as if it's all Eastern opponents.

Isn't Calgary still rebuilding after the flood?
Meanwhile, it's the Eskimos who are in a 1-8 sinkhole :lol:

I have also been wondering about this. Its a labour day classic with Edmonton vs Calgary. That really should have been soldout considering Calgary's history with Labour Day Classics. This is an event that usually is soldout or near soldout. Even 2009 was around 40,000 they managed to cram in there.

My opinion, I've been to McMahon twice. Its a great stadium, but they really do need a new stadium in Calgary. It doesn't do well when its over capacity for Grey Cups, very hard to even get around. I'd have to say that its probably the next stadium on the list to be rebuilt, or see a new stadium altogether. Calgary probably deserves it after Edmonton got a rather large stadium in the 1980's. They need to do it in Calgary. They need to build big too I think.

1978 when Edmonton got it's new stadium built for the Commonwealth games.

I'm sure some people are still rebuilding, although I don't think that really plays into it much to be honest. Maybe the normal influx of Eskimo fans for the LDC was missing? It didn't stop the Bomber fans from making a much further trek to Regina though with arguably a worse team than the Eskimos.

...those 3000 seats would've normally been filled by Edmontonians who might have made the trek if they thought they had a team that stood a chance...as it was the team that they sent actually faired pretty well...so, looks bad on those that stayed up north...

...either that or it's the end of the world, maybe

Isn't 31,000 a great crowd? I think some people are the "the glass is 1/10th empty" kind of people, but I see it is as 90 percent full!! If the empty seats are in the end zone, I understand that, CFL end zone seats are just too far away from the field.
Toronto, Hamilton, Montreal would love a crowd of 31,000, the big cities have trouble trying to attract 20k.
It's about bums in seats not counting empty seats.

The Stamps averaged over 30K every year until recently... Even back in the bad ole days, the Stamps would sell out the classic even if they couldn't draw flies. Unless the Stamps have stopped giving out comps, there isn't a positive way of spinning this. As for Eastern team comparrisons: Montreal charges twice as much for tickets as the Stamps and the two Ontario teams haven't made money in decades

I think with TV's and high def becoming more the norm, more people are staying at home to save some money. This is one factor at least. Not even all NFL teams sell out all their games and the NFL is very big in the US.

This might surprise you because it hasn't been on the national news since this spring but a large chunk of Saskatchewan is still under water. Up until last week my farm has been an island and the only way to it was via boat. The RM had to build a new road to my area just to get access to get the heavy machinery to where they can build up my driveway which is under 6 feet of water to get into the yard to replace the temporary berms with a permanent dirt one. In a 100+ years that we have owned the farm we have not seen anything remotely close to this amount of water. Yet we still fill a larger stadium.

[/quote]
I'm sure some people are still rebuilding, although I don't think that really plays into it much to be honest. Maybe the normal influx of Eskimo fans for the LDC was missing? It didn't stop the Bomber fans from making a much further trek to Regina though with arguably a worse team than the Eskimos.
[/quote]
Long weekend + beautiful weather + 1 & 7 Esks = empty seats

Long weekend + beautiful weather + 1 & 7 BB = sold out stadium and largest crowd of the season

Largest crowds every week are the Rider games with the exception of when they went to go play Hamilton.

They haven't sold out the last two labour days and there was no flood. The other issue is the Eskimo fans not coming in droves as they used too.

So they depend on the other teams fans to fill their stadium??? Ouch

Still better than relying on telethons I guess... how soon they forget.

Unlike the Stamps who had to sell their community owned team to survive (and 5 more times since 91).

No one in Regina could afford to buy a CFL team... lets take a quick look at your tax base... seniors, kids, and government workers LOL

Quite a few in Saskatchewan have the means to purchase CFL teams actually. Saskatchewan is the 6th largest in terms of millionaires with over 8000. You seem to forget the old Stamps "SOS" campaign in 85.