3.539M TV VIEW GC

The numbers are in and it is pretty decent.
Up from last year on CBC, but down considerably on RDS which could have put us over the top and the 4M+ range.
Overall very good.

[url=http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071126.truth27/GSStory/GlobeSportsFootball/home]http://www.globesports.com/servlet/stor ... tball/home[/url]

Pretty good numbers but it shows that there is a bit more interest when the bigger market teams play. I would think that if certain teams had more fans across this country there would have been bigger numbers.

It's a decent number, no question, but I was still hoping it'd be higher. I was hoping for 4+ million.

Thats why we need more teams east of Ontario.
Because you bring in more fans from Quebec and the maritimes.

If they can find some way to bring Halifax and Quebec City on board, along with Ottawa, and you could see viewership numbers of well over 4 million for the Grey cup, and an extra 100,000 for regular season games.

These numbers are VERY misleading because they don't include either foreign viewers OR streaming viewers. I'm sure the real number is far far higher.

Somebody somewhere has those numbers I'm sure.

Did you get to see the game?

I did…streaming. Well worth it, enjoyed the whole thing start to finish. The NFL can go jump in the lake for all I care right now. Said it before, I’ll say it again-

Better product, faster game. Less phony hype, glitz, or guys going for TV face time. I hope it stays that way for all time, because this is a great league, and that was a great game.

Amen to that Hondo. The excitement of that game still hasn't rubbed off for me, and my team wasn't even playing.

Typical Houston...when he's talking about the number of viewers the Superbowl gets compared to the CFL, he always compares Global to CBC (English) and forgets about RDS (which can get 800k-1 million viewers when Montreal is in) to illustrate his point, that more people watch the Superbowl.

Which as every CFL fan knows is a lie.

But today, he was more than happy to point out that RDS only got 200K for Sundays Grey Cup and the total viewership was under 4 million. This is exactly why every CFL fan knows the Toronto-based media is systematicaly trying to destroy the CFL.

I loathe that CFL-hating excuse for a sports writer.

I watched it from Saba... a tiny island in the middle of the caribbean that no one has ever heard of (unless you like SCUBA diving or want to get into Med School).... I was so stoked to find a guy who got one of the US networks picking up the game... so you can add at least 1 to that total =)

Yukoner that is a good point, Huston and the Globe have been known as NFL wannabes.

So how does the numbers compare to the 3-0 snooze fest, I mean mud fest?

Exactly…I took one look at the score at half time and went…CLICK!

you’re calling Toronto and B.C. bigger teams??

what makes you think that those are the bigger teams?

it just so happens that the two biggest CFL franchises (as far as TV viewership)

is Saskatchewan and Montreal…

Edmonton is a close 3rd…

so if you want a huge TV ratings Grey Cup…

you get Saskatchewan vs Montreal in there…

pffft

god… someone needs to do their research.

If that was case, why did the Grey Cup viewing go up 4% over last year. And wait for it…BC and Montreal…oh yes…two of three largest markets…I suspect the numbers would have been up more if Montreal would have been in it. But even that is debatable.

Montreal fans are probably the most fickle in the country, all sports. Great fans but fickle. I think most people realize this.

I don't know if they are systematically trying to destroy the CFL. To be honest, I think what they are doing is just making themselves look foolish by not understanding the game of football in the first place and then going out of their way to squew the numbers which most of us and a lot of other people know are being squewed and twisted. Bottom line, most people see through them. The fact that Winnipeg had a very good chance of winning despite being what, 11 point underdogs, is what even the "NFL only counts" fans would realize made for a much better game than expected.

I don’t think it has as much to do with Montreal fans attempting to skew the numbers. I believe they are no different then Toronto fans or Saskatchewan fans or any other fans. It is just they don’t have as much of a grass roots support but it is coming. Get another team in Quebec and get that competition going and you will see those numbers go up as well.

Just like i said you would see good numbers, and who said it here that it would be one of the worst.

Those rating numbers were pretty darned good given the "two small market" teams involved.
I think I heard they were the 6th best ever, and considering the game itself was actually a bit of a yawner, those are good numbers!!

“Ever” isn’t quite as long as it sounds though.

That represented a four per cent increase over last year’s Grey Cup (3.202), and stands as the sixth-highest viewership since the tracking of game-only audiences began in 1996.

[url=http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/story/2007/11/26/cfl-greycup-ratings.html]http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/story ... tings.html[/url]

that’s odd, since this Grey Cup had better ratings then the last grey cup.
these numbers are just fine - I think they’re sixth best since they started keeping track in the 90s.
simply more good news for the cfl