Biggest crowd of the regular season excluding Labour Day.

Thank goodness it was such a good victory for such a solid crowd. :thup:

NICE!!!

On the down side... no chance we get a playoff game so...

:(

Especially considering the Leafs/Habs and World Series were on the tube.

Yes, great support by the fans, especially considering this game means little in the standings (for us) yet we needed a win to provide us with momentum in the playoff stretch.

Some of these attendance figures are somewhat bewildering this year.

I would have thought the Hamilton/Winnipeg game a couple weeks back would have definitely drawn more than the 23,000+ that attended as it was a battle for first in the East.
Last night, I expected about 22,000-23,000 for a far less meaningful game and am pleasantly surprised at the final tally.

As well, a preseason game this year attracted nearly 27,000 fans which was astonishing for the preseason.

Overall, fan support has been holding steady and if we can make a splash in post, I don't see why we cannot have approximately 27,000+ average next season. :thup:

Going into the game, the Tiger-Cats still had a shot at home field provided they won their last 3 games and Winnipeg lost their last 3. The Wnnipeg win didn't come till around 7pm, by which time tickets sales couldn't have been affected.

BTW, what a great night for football.

a preseason game this year attracted nearly 27,000 fans which was astonishing for the preseason.
An anomoly considering season ticket holders were allowed to take up to ten free tckets each for that game.
Overall, fan support has been holding steady and if we can make a splash in post, I don't see why we cannot have approximately 27,000+ average next season. :thup:
And [b][u][i]only[/i][/u][/b] next season. :thdn:
tangledweb wrote: Yes, great support by the fans, especially considering this game means little in the standings (for us)
CaptainKirk wrote: Going into the game, the Tiger-Cats still had a shot at home field provided they won their last 3 games and Winnipeg lost their last 3. The Wnnipeg win didn't come till around 7pm, by which time tickets sales couldn't have been affected.
yes, but the odds of that occurring would have been astronomical. But even if that scenario did occur, doesn't Winnipeg get the bye considering they won the season series against us?

If we can hold those numbers when we get a new stadium we'll be turning them away like in Montreal. They better get at lest 30,000 seats in the new IW2.

sadly, that''s not going to happen.
The current model proposed is for 22,500 although with expansion possibilities for future purposes.
I could easily imagine sellouts for all games at that size, and possibly even for a 30,000 seater with a brand spanking new stadium and quality amenities.
Cat fans deserve a new stadium as IW is the oldest facility in the CFL still in use. (81 years and counting)

oh, and Montreal have not sold out any home games this season in the 25,000 seat Percival Molson Stadium. None.

No, that scenario would have put us 2 points ahead of them in the standings.
Now the best we can do is finish tied with them, so that's where the season series works against us.

Another reason for the good attendance may have been that it was the last chance for season ticket holders to redeem unused tickets.

Under the "never miss a game"[?] policy that the Ticats have,

season ticket holders who miss games can turn in the tickets they had
to those games and receive tickets for games played later in the season.

It is likely that some fans at the game got their tickets from season ticket holders.

It is nice that more fans were cheering on the team and it is a good marketing
but the people using those tickets didn't add to the Tiger Cats ticket revenue.

P.S.

I was writing this post before I saw your reference to redeemed tickets. Sorry, TeddFay.

[i]Another reason for the good attendance may have been

that it was the last chance for season ticket holders to redeem unused tickets.[/i]

I didn't think so. in their last 7 games leading up to this week, Winnipeg was 2-5. Their last 3 games are as follows.

Montreal, an easily conceivable loss
Toronto, upset required
@ Calgary, not inconceivable at all to see Calgary win at home with Drew Tate.

Hamilton has B.C., win, and Toronto and Sask, two plausible wins.

While I agree it wasn't likely, I wouldn't characterize the odds as astronomical.

But even if that scenario did occur, doesn't Winnipeg get the bye considering they won the season series against us?
Nope, Winnipeg would have 9-9 and Hamilton 10-8.

But, as we all know now, doesn't matter since the Bombers beat the Als.

They didn't add to the ticket revenue, but they did add to the concession revenue.

I know I used extra tickets and the people that came, spent an average $20 each at the concessions and some merchandise as well.

So that is what they hope for when they have a policy like that, and plus it makes the stadium look full and and creates an image for 'demand' for the team.

Although the stadium site (as a stadium) is 81 years old, the oldest part of it - the south and east :lol: grandstand is only about 50 years old (early sixties). Still old, but not nearly 81 years old. :wink:

Probably portions of Mosaic Stadium, CanadInns Stadium, Molson Stadium and McMahon Stadium are older than that so we do not enjoy the oldest stadium in Canada. Last night the 3 BC fans sitting behind me in Box H all agreed that IWS is the best place to watch a football game in Canada. They probably have seen them all. (They mentioned how much more friendly Hamiltonians were in comparison to the citizens of Edmonton. I told them they were welcome in our house because they weren't from Hog Town :lol: and they were CFL fans.)

:cowboy:

Yes, Ivor Wynne has had numerous renovations over the years, although the stadium itself was originally constructed in 1928 to host the 1930 British Empire Games which makes it 83 years young.

Hard to believe, but in the early 70's IW incurred seat expansion which made it the largest stadium in the CFL, albeit short lived. :o

ah, the good ole days...The Cats were King back then, and IW sell outs were the norm.

There is not a single piece of wood or steel originating from the 1928 stands erected there. The site is 83 years young, the structures on it are much younger.

Just wait three years until the new stadium is built on the 81 year old stadium site. Everyone will start complaining that the Cats are playing in an 84 year old stadium :wink:

So the entire old IW stadium has literally been torn down and rebuilt from the ground up? Not even a beam left?

I didn't know that. Every article I've read reiterates about refurbishments...Oh well, I learn something new every day.

Here's Civic stadium in 1956. It was renamed Ivor Wynne in 1971, largest capacity in the CFL with 34,500

You can see the extra 5,000 seats in the west end zone. I used to sit there as a kid. 99 cent tickets from Dominion.

Thanks for those pics Captain, the good old west bleachers. Once caught a missed fg there (10 yrs old) and had
the crap beat out of me for the ball....memories... but it was worth it ..oski wee wee

Where did you get those pics from..would love to have that last one for the wall