2026 World Cup Costs

Well I really cant say I was too surprised but…
Nearly bankrupt city of Toronto asked (and was denied) for an extra $80 million in funding to host the 2026 World Cup

2 Likes

And how many games will be between teams that nobody will really care about … TO and Van got snookered by FIFA.

3 Likes

I would presume all the corporate shills (esp in Toronto) actually prefer the schedule (since it features Canada home games)
No fans are gonna get tickets (esp since Toronto Field* only sits 45,000 optimistically after upgrades)
Tix all going to the suits

*Last I heard BMO did not pay the royalty fees so our home field is getting rebranded during World Cup

1 Like

Toronto is getting 6 games and Vancouver 7 … only Canada’s THREE games in the “Group Stage” are guaranteed to feature our national team … they could lose all three and be eliminated … so the other three Group stage games and the seven Round of 32 games would then feature other countries.

1 Like

Yes here in Canada, but these foreign countries bring in their own fans. And that’s the money maker, they will bring in thousands and thousands from their country and every hotel room in Toronto will be snapped up. Bars and restaurants will be full.
They likely won’t need many locals in the stands.
It’s not about FIFA deciding which teams will play in Toronto it’s going to be through the draw/lottery, they could end up with some top ten rated countries we don’t know

2 Likes

They are throwing snowballs in hell. … mike, I agree with everything you say here!

1 Like

I forgot to mention that as a host, Canada will get a birth so you can bet there will be a sellout in Toronto and Canadians will fill the stadium

3 Likes

Is that not only for the 3-games in Group Play?

That depends entirely on which teams get drawn for your group … fingers crossed for TO and VAN taxpayers that Canada doesn’t get three “poor” nations as group-mates.

2 Likes

Under the 32 team tourneys, each of the matches was considered at least equivalent to 1 Super Bowl in terms of global tv audience, economic benefit to a region and level of fan engagement.

It’s going to 48 countries now. So, a few of the group stage matches may now be on par with NFL Championship games.

But Canada will be playing in least of the 3 matches. Likely to get one country in Canada’s group with a sizeable diaspora in North America and/or has good travelling support from their home country. Icing on the cake will be the 3 knockout matches.

2 Likes

Thanks for the throwing snowballs in hell - I am going to add that to my deep stable of sayings. That one is awesome.

Cost for world cups - United States 1994: $500 million · France 1998: $2.3 billion · Japan 2002: $7 billion · Germany 2006: $4.3 billion · South Africa 2010: $3.6 billion then you have The Most Expensive World Cup in History - Qatar - $220 Billion usd.

1 Like

Qatar is on an entirely different level as they literally use it to advertise the country (and is the 220 incl the bribes or just official costs?)

Having 3 countries host 2026 will def spread costs out quite a bit
Even theoretically if this was just an American bid the distances between satdiums helps quite alot

2 Likes

The advantage the USA has is they have a ton of stadiums both professional NFL and College Stadiums. The only two times the host country has made money on the Olympics is Los Angeles - they have a ton of stadiums and arenas for any and all sports. You pick it they have it.

2 Likes

And London 2012, they used existing stadiums and venues but they did build the athletics stadium which was supposed to be used by West Ham but just like the Big Owe in Montreal they don’t want it because the fans too far away from the field.
London had a lot of sponsors/advertisers.

2 Likes

Um… this is odd and quite bad for optics

2 Likes

Wow, gee, where have we seen FIFA make such a request, yet years ahead of schedule not like this, before, hmmm…?
:thinking:

As if FIFA are going to change in this respect and in many others anyway.
:unamused:

Calgary made money too.

1 Like