2024 World Hockey Championships

This annual event runs May 10-26. It may be of interest to some, particularly those like me who have no team left to cheer for in the NHL playoffs.

Canada’s roster so far:

Additions made today. Why Dubois?

Tourigny to coach once again plus coaching staff:

Go Canada! :canada: :canada: :canada:

4 Likes

Team USA roster so far:

2 Likes

Desperation for warm bodies who aren’t injured?

The tournament started today and Canada’s first game is tomorrow against cricket and golf powerhouse Great Britain. John Tavares joining the team. Even though he is overpaid, good for him. I’m not sure why Scheifele and Morrissey aren’t playing and assume they declined or are nursing injuries. They would automatically be the two best players on the team with both projected as Olympian’s with Morrissey a projected first pairing defenceman.

1 Like

The US dropped their first game 5-2 to Sweden today.

Brady Tkachuk named captain of team USA.

3 Likes

Bedard scores twice as Canada beats Great Britain 4-2 in their tournament opener. Most I think would consider that a relative squeaker.

John Tavares won’t play until Game 2 but for some reason was named captain. I guess leading your team to a 3rd place finish in your division and a first round playoff exit while your top players argued on the bench and fans complained makes him a no brainer for the captaincy.

2 Likes

USA win 6-1 over Germany after their opening loss to Sweden.

1 Like

Up to the point you realize that half (or more) of almost every European team are Canadians playing in European leagues…

Bedard continues to roll as Canada beats Denmark 5-1.

3 Likes

USA continues to struggle. Loses to Slovakia in OT after coming back from a 4-1 third period deficit.

2 Likes

Canada came from behind to beat Finland today for their 5th win in a row.

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2024/wm/news/61231/can-fin

4 Likes

Canada out-chanced Switzerland 3-2 and likely will finish first in pool A.

3 Likes

Canada remains undefeated through the round robin portion of the tournament by defeating host Czechia yesterday.

2 Likes

Canada to play Slovakia in the first game of the playoff round tomorrow.

3 Likes

I’m watching the first period now on replay . The pace is amazing . No team could play 82 games at that pace .

2 Likes

As expected, Canada beats Slovakia to move on to the semi finals. Opponent unknown at present.

Edit: Pursuant to the results from the last two games Canada will play Switzerland in the semis on Saturday while Czechia will play Sweden. Sweden beat Finland 2-1 in OT while Czechia beat the US 1-0. Gold medal game goes Sunday.

6 Likes

A bit more detail about the games tomorrow.

4 Likes

Earlier today Czechia beats Sweden 7-3 to book their place in the final tomorrow.

Canada now playing Switzerland in the other semi and tied 0-0 with about 7 minutes left in the first period.

Game is on TSN 1 and 4.

1 Like

Yikes 2 -zip for the Swiss end of first

Yeah. Not much offense and they just took their 4th straight penalty. Swiss already have two power play goals.

Killed off the PP but missed a second shorthanded breakaway. Canada now has its first PP.

Canada played better the 2nd half of the second. Down 2-1 heading into the third.

2 Likes