2024 Paper Bag Bowl Thread

Back by supremely unpopular demand! This thread is for fans of the dregs of the league, the teams for whom a .500 record would feel like winning the Grey Cup and a winning record is something they read about on the bench while they were getting hammered by one of the league’s actual contenders. If your team has a .500 record or better, you shouldn’t post here. :wink:

Here, in the safety of this thread, fans of paper bag teams can come together, commiserate, and talk about how spectacularly awful their respective CFL franchises are, without fear of being mocked by fans of teams who do that winning thing more than semi-annually.

Given that Edmonton is the first team to go 0-4 in this still-young 2024 season, I hereby appoint @Paolo_X and @Squishy21 as co-chairs of the executive committee. Please follow their directives as appropriate. Gentlemen, the floor is yours.

(This is all in good fun. Nobody take anything here too seriously.)

6 Likes

Well even with the Elks 0-4 I’m not going to stop believin’ now, I’m gonna hold on to that feeeeeelin’!

I only caught the first half last night, so I will have to review the rest after learning of their loss in a lower-scoring game than I had thought would be the case at BC Place.

But the next test is not until Sunday 14 July, it’s like a brand new season for the Elks, and at home hosting Ottawa, well either that does it or not because then they have to go on the road to Ottawa on Friday that same week!
:partying_face:

Now step right over here and I’ll start handing out sacks for some of you sad sacks in here, no need to queue I’m Italian anyway, but there is also no need to shove each other round quite this early in the season.

2 Likes

Keep some bags on hand, friend, because that second half is not pretty. The usual mess of penalties, poor decisions, and other self-inflicted wounds.

1 Like

How could I want to wear a paper bag at this point? 0-4 when you are getting the crap kicked out of you is way different than 0-4 and having lost those games by an aggregate of 17 points.
Not just that but 3-4 of those teams were conference finals teams last season.

Last year we had lost the first 4 by almost 40 points on aggregate AND had been shut out.

No paper bag as yet.

6 Likes

Totally fair! And yeah, these losses have been so close.

1 Like

All right, perhaps we’ll have a vacancy in the chairing of the executive committee for now. :smiley:

3 Likes

Could I please be “grandfathered” in as a director? I still have a well-used paper bag which I have worn over my head for the past two seasons, and now, due to a big head, which is commensurate with the Riders’ lofty standing, it is a tight fit. However, I could still squeeze it on for board meetings. Besides, it is somewhat “soft” now, as I wore it throughout the 1979, and 1980 seasons. And, until we hoist a cup again, I am reluctant to get rid of it. :joy:

3 Likes

Haha, well, you will be considered a special advisor – consigliere if you will – to the chairs, but given that your team is currently 3-0, no executive power for you! :wink:

1 Like

Winnipeg and Hamilton still have their fourth game to play, but I’ll go ahead and welcome them now just in case.

5 Likes

Given recent history, the fragility of your QB, and the fact your team leads in sacks allowed - I would keep that bag handy…

4 Likes

3 Likes

Hmmm…well consigliere to the chair is a step up, as my current relationship with a chair is: simply filling it with my gravity challenged adispose tissue. I’ll take it!

3 Likes

Yes. Riders are my team, but they will be in trouble if Harris goes down. The Elks have two QBs who can get it done. Edmonton has played better than their record shows. I think they will make the playoffs.

5 Likes

That’s not impossible. In which case, probably the Stamps, and/or BB are out. Crossover is possible, but not likely. I think Ottawa is better than what they have shown. Hamilton is a tire fire. If white gets his act together, they will be better, but not enough for a post-season gig.

BTW, Stipley, do you think that Tre would be a better starter than MacBeth? MCB can read Ds, which is where his experience shines through, but his inconsistency loses games. Does anybody believe in Tre?

Yeah, looks like a long season in the Hammer, but it’s still early. Still time to deal with the “tire fire”. Cats fans get too negative too early. Bo has played better than the team’s record indicates.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Absolutely I believe in Tre. I think the Elks have the strongest QB combo in the league. MBT isn’t Joe Namath, but he gets it done. Who wouldn’t want these two guys at the helm?

1 Like

Too funny, Grover. I’m a Cats season ticket holder. Not on the “Nay-Train” yet.

2 Likes

True enough! Perennially, they stumble out of the gate, like party-goers with a hangover…then go on a tear late in the season. But, IMHO, this year it will be too little, too late…even if BO stays healthy. He is past his best before date.

1 Like